Report: 2011 Pure Stock Muscle Car Drags

This forum is devoted to all topics concerning high performance, Studebaker powered vehicles.

Report: 2011 Pure Stock Muscle Car Drags

Postby Bob Palma » 18 Sep 2011, 16:16

Here's a preliminary report on the 2011 Pure Stock Muscle Car Drag Race, held September 15-16-17 2011 at The Mid-Michigan Motorplex. A full report with extensive photos and covers that will honest-to-gosh knock your socks off will appear in the January 2012 Turning Wheels.

Overall, the event may have been the most pleasant ever in terms of weather. Just drop-dead gorgeous both "running" days (Friday and Saturday) with a little tail wind Saturday and temperatures that tickled 70 F at the most. I can't remember (and wouldn't hope to ever specify) better weather both days! 'Sure made up for the past couple years that have seen some moisture and partial rainouts.

Team Studebaker arrived Thursday afternoon, September 15. Note the sunshine and lettering on the marquee; this is not a leftover picture from 2010:

In addition to those four Studebakers, four more appeared for a total field of eight competitors this time around.

In no particular order, here are the cars, owners/drivers, best Elapsed Time (Time) and highest Terminal Speed (Speed) posted this year. (I'll be checking records from previous years and reporting personal improvement for the January 2012 Turning Wheels feature article, so stay tuned.)

Also posted here are the Shootout Competitor and results of the Shootout against that competitor.

1963 R1 4-speed Lark Custom 2-door, Richard Poe:

Time: 14.253. Speed: 96.92. Shootout: Broke an axle late Friday in practice; did not participate in Shootouts. See Richard's note in Post #2, below.

1963 R2 4-speed Lark Custom 2-door, Ted Harbit (The Stude Tomato):

Time: 13.081. Speed: 113.26 (new record high terminal speed)
Shootout: 1969 Camaro SS 396/375HP. Ted won his shootout, winning all three rounds.

1963 R2 Powershift Avanti, Chuck Kern:

Time: 13.994. Speed: 101.32.
Shootout: 1966 Chevy II Nova 327/350HP 4-speed. Chuck won his shootout, winning all three rounds.

1964 R2 Powershift Super Hawk, Allen Anderson:

Time: 14.761. Speed: 93.96
Shootout: 1972 Gran Torino Sport 351/248HP Cruiseomatic. Allen won his shootout by winning the last two of the three rounds.

1963 R2 Powershift Avanti, Peter Sant:

Time : 13.926. Speed: 102.26 (Both new personal records for Peter at this event. Speed is the best ever, anywhere, anytime.)
Shootout: 1969 Plymouth Super Bird 440/390HP. Peter lost his shootout but did win one of the three rounds. The Super Bird owner was clearly sandbagging but did not break out because he slowed toward the end after getting well ahead of Peter on Shootout Rounds One and Two. (No sour grapes here; just reporting observable facts.)

1964 R3 Powershift Challenger 2-door, Steve Doerschlag:

Time: 13.487. Speed: 102.38. (Both new personal records for Steve anywhere with this car.)
Shootout: 1966 Oldsmobile 442 W30 Tri-Power 4-speed. 'Sorry to say, Steve lost all three rounds of the shootout. Only one of the Olds' three runs was faster than Steve's 13.487 (and that was only 13.421), but Steve got the 13.487 during Friday's practice runs. He was not able to "repeat the feat" during Saturday's shootouts as he said the top-end blower pressure was going away, so the Olds won fair and square.

1964 R1 4-speed Commander 2-door, Steve Doerschlag:

Time: 14.545. Speed: 95.61.
Shootout: 1968 Pontiac Firebird 400 HO TurboHydramatic. Steve won the Commander/Firebird shootout, beating the Pontiac in the first two of the shootout's three rounds.

1964 R3 4-speed Challenger 2-door, George Krem (The Plain Brown Wrapper). Driver: Ted Harbit

Time: 12.664. Speed: 114.03. (Both figures are new records for The 'Wrapper; anytime, anyplace!)
Shootout: 1970 Pontiac Tempest GT-37 400/345HP 4-speed. Ted and The 'Wrapper won all three rounds of the shootout.

Overall, the seven Studebakers in the shootouts participated in 21 Shootout Races total and won 15 of them; not bad! And in so doing, the seven Studebakers won five of their shootouts.

COOL BEANS! Congratulations to all. 'Stay tuned for the January 2012 Turning Wheels. BP
Bob Palma
Technical Editor
Turning Wheels
Bob Palma
Studebaker Racing Team Member

Re: Report: 2011 Pure Stock Muscle Car Drags

Postby 63larkr1 » 18 Sep 2011, 19:52

Thanks Bob,
It turned out I broke an axle on the left side. Thanks to all the guys that wanted to help get it back on the track. It was a big disappointment to not run after all the work getting it ready but we got to spend time with all of you and that is good.
The conditions were great for racing too bad I didn't get to do it.
The 14.253 was a best at Stanton and it had more in it. It has run up to .410 faster at other tracks we have run and this was the year for a really fast run at Stanton but that was cut short.
Thanks for all the support.
Richard
Studebaker Drag Racing You can't beat it.
The 9th annual all Studebaker Nationals Drag Race is Saturday May 27th, 2017 at 9:00 am at Brown County Dragway in Bean Blossom, Indiana. For more information contact Richard Poe
63larkr1

Postby R5 Lark » 18 Sep 2011, 21:10

Congradulations on an outstanding weekend of racing! Just a outstanding record of wins. I saw a few runs on the uplink but didn't know the times or who was winning. Sorry to hear about the axle Richard. I had engine damage Friday evening too. Now we are both sidelined.
R5 Lark

Postby ClaymoreWW » 18 Sep 2011, 21:39

I've loaded all my photos onto my Gallery site. I think I took photos of all the Studes at the races - except for two - an Avanti I saw deep in the parking lot as I was leaving...and my own. Here is a small selection:

There are 118 photos on the site - http://www.teamwetworks.com/claymore/ph ... lbum&id=36. As you click them, you can see large versions if you keep clicking the image. You will see a thumbnail page with many thumbnails. Click one and you will be shown a photo like the ones above. Then click that image and see a final large image 1200 pixels wide. If anyone wants larger of any of the shots, let me know and I have all the originals - 4200 pixels wide.

I also took all of the Racing Studebakers second round runs. They are posted on youtube at this location: http://www.youtube.com/user/ClaymoreWW

--george
ClaymoreWW
0 - 19 Posts

Postby Sonny » 19 Sep 2011, 15:05

Holy Cow! Beeeee-U-tee-full PSMCD report! Thanks sooo much Bob! Also, a BIG WOW on the pictures and movies, George! Thanks a million! Putting both super posts together gives one big SUPER report, almost like being there!

I don't think I could be any more proud of the Studebaker racers. Seven Studebakers winning five of their shootouts is one hell of an accomplishment. The competition is SERIOUS at the PSMCD! Oh... If Richard would have been able to compete, I'm positive it would have been EIGHT Studebakers winning!

Congratulations guys! Even if you didn't win a shootout, I see that they were ALL very, very close! You ALL have done Studebaker racing VERY proud!

Thanks again, Bob & George! Awesome!
Sonny
Sonny
Site Admin

Postby Bob Palma » 19 Sep 2011, 19:03

True, Sonny, on the seriousness of the competition.

One of the amusing aspects of being with Team Studebaker has always been circulating in the staging lanes and overhearing comments from other competitors and spectators.

George Krem and his friend Ken were mingling in the staging lanes and overheard a conversation between two fellows who were talking about how well a mutual friend was doing with his car this year.

When the one fellow was finished talking, the other guy continued, "Yeah, well, [so-and-so] has had some bad luck. He's gotta run one of the Studebakers in the shootouts!"

True. BP
Bob Palma
Technical Editor
Turning Wheels
Bob Palma

Postby laughinlark » 20 Sep 2011, 00:07

Sure is nice to have weather like that on a race weekend. Those are some impressive times posted. Thanks for the heads up. Can't wait for the Turning Wheels write up.

Gordon S
laughinlark

Postby fastfritz » 23 Sep 2011, 17:46

"Time: 13.487. Speed: 102.38. (Both new personal records for Steve anywhere with this car.)
Shootout: 1966 Oldsmobile 442 W30 Tri-Power 4-speed. 'Sorry to say, Steve lost all three rounds of the shootout. Only one of the Olds' three runs was faster than Steve's 13.487 (and that was only 13.421), but Steve got the 13.487 during Friday's practice runs. He was not able to "repeat the feat" during Saturday's shootouts as he said the top-end blower pressure was going away, so the Olds won fair and square."

Another sandbagger. That Olds driver has sandbagged everyone he has faced at the PSMCDR. Dave Heilala and Ty Taccone have both been matched up vs this particulat 4-4-2. Both have been over whelmed by his running a 13.90-14.20 @ 109 mph (notice anything ~ODD~ about those timeslips??)

Greg's Superbird started running waaaaaaaaaaaaay better on Saturday morning after fixing his charging problem. If it's any consolation, Greg felt bad about how the AVANTI vs. SUPERBIRD match-up ended.

I have some nice photos to post as soon as I get a chance!! It was GREAT to see the Studebakers out in force, and nice to meet some new Studebaker friends! I was busy shaking down a new combination and tires not allowing me to have extra time to hang out at Team Studebaker pit area. :D
Frank Remlinger
Driver of a Dodge. Fan of Studebakers
fastfritz
20 - 59 Posts

Postby Donny Brass » 13 Oct 2011, 20:20

The column for 'best ET' is missing. Dan has not had a chance to look through the Saturday morning data to include it in the spreadsheet.

When he gets a chance, the official data will be posted.

2011_PSMCD_Results_01.jpg

2011_PSMCD_Results_02.jpg

2011_PSMCD_Results_03.jpg

The results can also be seen here...
http://v8buick.com/showthread.php?t=237132
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Donny Brass
0 - 19 Posts

Postby Sonny » 14 Oct 2011, 11:07

Thanks a MILLION for these results, Donny! I took the liberty of putting them up as "attachments", so everybody can see them easily. Putting them up as "attachments" is the best way to do it. They go right from your computer to storage on the forums, easy to work with too. It also helps with managing storage space on the forums.

Click on the picture once to expand them, click on them again to expand them to full size. These spreadsheets were a LOT of work!!! Awesome!
Sonny
Sonny
Site Admin

Postby 63larkr1 » 18 Oct 2011, 22:59

Donny,
Do you have any rubber on your back tires after Stanton?
Richard
Studebaker Drag Racing You can't beat it.
The 9th annual all Studebaker Nationals Drag Race is Saturday May 27th, 2017 at 9:00 am at Brown County Dragway in Bean Blossom, Indiana. For more information contact Richard Poe
63larkr1

Postby Donny Brass » 21 Oct 2011, 18:59

63larkr1 wrote:Donny,
Do you have any rubber on your back tires after Stanton?
Richard

there is, but not for a lack of trying

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZGrYZ0O0I0U
Donny Brass
0 - 19 Posts

Return to STUDEBAKER POWERED PERFORMANCE