Josephine, a "Moparistic" -55 sedan

This forum is devoted to all topics concerning high performance, Non-Studebaker powered Studebakers.
Champion V8
200 - 399 Posts

Re: Josephine, a "Moparistic" -55 sedan

Post by Champion V8 » 01 May 2019, 16:51

Thanx!
I feel the same, I've lost tracks by now, the ideas & scetches I had done have all lost their value, so I have to feel my way at it as I go along... I just never could stand the -55's face, there's a guy selling a 53-54 sedan hood but it's quite far away, not for free & I would have to change the rear of it anyway since Josephine is a "Ultra Vista" = wrap around windshield. & anyway; I still think I can have pipe grille like the customs from my childhood.
I have a -77 Bedford CF 250 pickup (wanna google that?) that has a real badly rusted cabin so I'll probably use the top of the front fenders from it for the lower corners, it's just that when I start to cut in on that one I'm gonna get complains because Sonja has grown up in small villages where everything has to be neat & perfect & people would probably go to jail for having something anti-neat in their garden, even if it's on the back side of the house, & this one is on the back side of our barn but visible from the road...

More later, when time & money is on my side, I've ran out of welding wire to boot...

Champion V8
200 - 399 Posts

Post by Champion V8 » 01 May 2019, 17:39

By the way, if you're interested you can go to "Hitta.se" & write "Tranevagen 52, Tollarp" in the white square to see where in Sweden we live, & at the lower left corner you can choose "Satelit" & then if you zoom in you'll se (probably me in) Gaston on the way home! The fields around were sold out in 1969-70.
If you click on "Tomter" you'll se our area, the north one.
Have fun!

Champion V8
200 - 399 Posts

Post by Champion V8 » 02 May 2019, 16:16

Being able to get in 3 days in a row is quite nice! Thou I notice there's a lot less stuff happening here now compared with the days when I had axess all the time, but it's still my total favourite site!

I also thought I would post 2 pictures, one where I was with the first front + a shot from where I'm now from the same angle:
try005.JPG
vackra.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

maxwelj
20 - 59 Posts

Post by maxwelj » 03 May 2019, 09:33

so you have a 53/54 as well? What will you do with it?
Jack Maxwell
'57 Transtar

Champion V8
200 - 399 Posts

Post by Champion V8 » 03 May 2019, 15:27

Ah no, the -54 coupe is from my pal Nils, I'm just helping him.
I knew about that car & after some years we discussed what our dream cars were & I was quite surprised that he also said Studebaker! We already have about the same motorcycle & ship interests & he has the old fire ship St. Erik of Stockholm. (But he & the ship is in Gøteborg)
So he bought the car around 1995 & it's a Champion Starlight, then he bought a Commander Starliner & took the V8 from; he's like me: hard tops aint that charming & it's the pretty side window that really makes it Studebaker!
Anyway, after a few years it all went into a long sleep cuz of kids, silly small boats, to long drive to the garage (+ the fact that I had left the coutry & we used to share garage) & he/they also bought a house.
So now, since I & Sonja has an ex farm, I told him to get it here so I could cut & weld the rust, there was plenty of rusty places, all done now exept driver side rear fender.
The car was also customized but badly so we also traded the front for original stuff, without knowing that the fenders were Hawk fenders, & not only that; G.T. Hawk fenders to boot... So many many holes...
Now I want him to bring windows, brakes & engine + gearbox, & in that order cuz I don't see any reason to have it running if there aint no windows in or if you can't get it to stop!
677.JPG
694.jpg
d.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

maxwelj
20 - 59 Posts

Post by maxwelj » 06 May 2019, 09:31

interesting story! good luck with it!
Jack Maxwell
'57 Transtar

Champion V8
200 - 399 Posts

Post by Champion V8 » 02 Jul 2019, 17:42

I've given up & since a while I thought I have to shut down the router also to get around the barier & then just now IT SUDDENLY WORKED again!!!
& stuff has happend here; Josephine has her new face for a while now but I've been without filled welding wire for my own welder & without gas for my pals welder & the result is thatit all looks "steam-punk" & Mowitz (who now has decided to use his other name Ozzian) likes it big time...
Forgot that I can't post pics in "quick reply", gotta get out & in to the "post reply"!

Champion V8
200 - 399 Posts

Post by Champion V8 » 02 Jul 2019, 17:44

Now then:
vabråååå.jpg
vacra fejs.jpg
vacra front.jpg
Just so you get the idea...

Champion V8
200 - 399 Posts

Post by Champion V8 » 02 Jul 2019, 18:16

& some more:
vacra rear.jpg
With headlight rims:
(I had to cut a bit out of the rims underside & the bump over the hoods hole is a top front corner from a 70's yapcrap motorcycle gasoline tank)
vacrare me lyktringar.jpg
Then one day it was time for a trip down to the tug that's now laying for sale outside Groningen, Holland + visit friends in Zaandam, so it was of to fill LPG & buy some small stuff:
ve utanførTrægårsaffærn.jpg
But then I discovered vibrations in highway speed! So it was a big NO! ...about driving long distance, or even most any distance for that matter.
So it came down to Gaston, the car that always works when other cars are sick, but here's a story on its own...

Champion V8
200 - 399 Posts

Post by Champion V8 » 02 Jul 2019, 18:40

& by the way, the hole between the grille & hood is gonna be closed!

About the trip with Gaston... When I was prepairing him for the trip I managed to pull off the charging relay contact & we couldn't understand what the problem was, we had 130 km to the ferry & sometimes going uphill the car would hasitate... & ofcourse it felt like fuel problem! But the tank is clean, I knew that... so could it be the pump sucking air...? Or the rubber in the pump...? Or just a dirty jet in the carb? No... & with only 30 kilometers left to the ferry at 10 o'clock at night he just died! We roled into a boring new-built neighbourhood & phoned Sonja to come & tow us to a friends place that's a wee bit closer & next day we were there with fuel pump, hoses & so on... But nothing helped. So we had to take Sonja's boring Subaru.
Then after about 12 days I was back & just tried charging the battery because we had towed in night time with lights on so the battery was stone flat, & after a while he started fine & I drove a bit back & forth & went back home.
Next day Lizzie had these:
#5, alla 7.jpg
So the day after that me & Sonja went there & charged him good & off we went & then after half way I though... maby... I felt the same hesitaing again...? & at 2/3:rd driven distance, in Degeberga (Google that) there's a steep uphill & long too, & guess what...? Yep: he DIED SHARP! So towing the rest of the way.
Back home I losend the battery & THEN(!) I discovered the lose contact!
He runs fine again now, as usual...
020,5.jpg

Champion V8
200 - 399 Posts

Post by Champion V8 » 02 Jul 2019, 19:00

All the stuff that comes to my mind now... I've finished the heater:
00053.jpg
But the triangle plate is now red.

& I've sold my front parts to a old man who was braking a little to late, here's his car last summer at the international meeting in Kungälv:
007.JPG
& here's the stuff I sold, even a broken corner:
Josephine's front.jpg
& bumper too:
StFångH.jpg
So today I could buy welding wire!

Champion V8
200 - 399 Posts

Post by Champion V8 » 03 Jul 2019, 03:15

Here's the little truck I took plates from:
0.jpg
& here's a plate in place:
vabrz.jpg
So now it's down to finding & solving the vibration... I have a strong suspition that the pinion/rear axel is tipped forward to much, that would mean to re-cut-&-weld the axel brackets or putting angled shims between the axel & leafsprings, I hope I can find shims since I don't have the needed mashine shop anymore.
Maby, I haven't realy checked it out yet, I have to raise the rear gearbox mount to, it was all set up with the normal 904 & now there's a A500 in place instead.
Thou then I might need to cut & widen the tunnel too... :(

Champion V8
200 - 399 Posts

Post by Champion V8 » 03 Jul 2019, 06:25

Tride to get avatar again but no matter how I try I just can't get it smaller than 7,2 kb or whatever it's called... :(

Jeff Rice
Global Moderator

Post by Jeff Rice » 03 Jul 2019, 07:59

Interesting look.
Good looking work!
Nice looking pups!

Champion V8
200 - 399 Posts

Post by Champion V8 » 03 Jul 2019, 08:18

Thenx Jeff!
It was quite frustrating when I was deep into it & couldn't get in here, wanted to post pix as I went along, but it works anyway & I see there's a lot less going on here these days than for example about 5 years ago.