Josephine, a "Moparistic" -55 sedan

This forum is devoted to all topics concerning high performance, Non-Studebaker powered Studebakers.
Champion V8
200 - 399 Posts

Re: Josephine, a "Moparistic" -55 sedan

Post by Champion V8 » 01 Dec 2019, 17:35

Did I forgot to post pix of the hood bubble..? I used a dented old japcrap motorcycle tank:
HuvHål10.jpg
HuvHål11.jpg
HuvHål13.jpg
It still looks the same, as the whole front of the car & will probably do so for a way to long time...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Champion V8
200 - 399 Posts

Post by Champion V8 » 02 Dec 2019, 14:00

Since I still can get in I'll post pictures from this evening, I have fastend the exhaust proper now & lowerd her to the ground. Lowering is pretty enoying work since she's so low & this time she got hanging on the new pipes as I had to have the manouvering part of the jack within reash from just behind the wheel, but it worked out in the end. So here it's (almost) possible to see the hangers just after the mufflers:
(there's one hanger almost at the end too)
Avgas Nytt Uppe.JPG
& here she's back down with the new pipes:
(it's actually the same pipes just re-arranged)
They comes from different angles so it aint your eyes that's fooling you...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Champion V8
200 - 399 Posts

Post by Champion V8 » 02 Dec 2019, 14:11

Couldn't help myself, silly as I am, took a picture today too:
(same angle, just better in daylight)
Avgas Nytt X-tra Reko.JPG
Oh, & a might-be-good news; there's a guy interested in the tug, he had some serious questions that I've anwerd so maby I can keep Josephine. I'm anyway stick'n my head in the sand & am happy as long as people only asks about her & don't buy her...

Champion V8
200 - 399 Posts

Post by Champion V8 » 04 Dec 2019, 15:36

I took her for a short spin today & maby it's due to the lesser noice but it felt like less vibrations. But a strange thing appeared: the water pump is making sound & I think I feel a play in it too & that's strange since it hasn't been on the engine that awfully long time, it's the engine from a Dodge van we drove about a year before selling it without the engine & gearbox that's in Josephine now. & the first thing I did after we bought that van was to change the waterpump because it was leaking! Not a big problem but anoying enough...

r1lark
100 - 199 Posts

Post by r1lark » 04 Dec 2019, 18:11

I like the two exhaust pipes exiting together. Different and interesting. Keep working on it nox!
Paul
Visit The Studebaker Skytop Registry at: http://www.studebakerskytop.com

Champion V8
200 - 399 Posts

Post by Champion V8 » 05 Dec 2019, 16:26

Thanx Paul! Yeah, I'm a kid of my history as my saying goes, in Sweden in the 60's Studebakers (ofcourse due to coupes & Hawks) were conseiderd sporty cars & that's why the pipes goes side-by-side. I would've prefered them about 4 inches from the towhook but they're to fat & the tank sits to low for that, then the pipes would either come out to low or pointing to much upwards for my (bad! ;) ) taste.

Champion V8
200 - 399 Posts

Post by Champion V8 » 09 Dec 2019, 17:07

This is amazing; I'm still getting in!!! Almost like the beginning when I had another "whateverit'scalled" router?
But nothing has happend to Josephine during these days exept I took her out today to take some real photo's of her, hasn't done that for a long time but now I need to develop the film because I have pictures of our ship's interior that a possible buyer wanna see.
I was also just now trying to get me an avatar again, tried before a few times but I just don't know how to make the pic smaller without destroying its sharpness. & it says it needs to be 80 x 80 pixels & I get it down to that but it still won't take it...
One would think I should be able to manage a computer by now, but nooo, not me!

Champion V8
200 - 399 Posts

Post by Champion V8 » 10 Dec 2019, 16:40

Things do(!) happen at times like today even thou not a good thing... I took her to town to get the film developed & get some files for my kid since he just discoverd he can do just about anything with files & pieces of wood. & I was just going back, waiting to drive out from a parkinglot when Josephine just got quiet... & refused to start again! It was a bit upphill so I had to irritate the others behind me by rolling back & off the road a bit so I could get under the hood.
& for once I didn't have my toolbox with me! :(
I phoned Sonja & we talked about she would have to come & tow me back home & this-&-that when she asked if it was the same with the LPG... I hadn't even thought about that!
It started. But from time to time it ran bad & even cut out on the highway, but started again.
At times like that I'm SO happy I've got MoPar stuff instead of GM, all Chevy's I've had when you have to STOP! & put the gearshifter in park to start again... That actually happend to me once on autobahn in Germany with Sonja's -91 Caprice, & in a LOT of trafic too.
I like many GM cars & had quite a load of them but I doubt I'll ever buy one again. Or maby I'll get a -64 Impala 4-door hard top with 327 (old nostalgia memories) but only for short trips around the village then.

Champion V8
200 - 399 Posts

Post by Champion V8 » 12 Dec 2019, 12:21

Made sure ignition was good set for LPG & went to fetch Ozzian from school today, all honkydory so to speak... Then turning out from the school parking lot she start to miss ignition & a bit up the street she finaly totaly cut out.
So I phoned Sonja who's at work & can't get away but she phoned a neighbour who agreed to come & get us but who has "only a small car" & so on... Then after a while Josephine started!
So I figure it's the coil that's to old, it's from the Volare = from 1977 & for sure it's time for a new one, no second hand one this time.
& I'm still getting in here day after day! Well we'll see how long it lasts, & even now I got in to re-read & fix some misstakes as I don't use any program for spellcheck.
Here is the old black -77 Plymouth original one on the firewall:
943.jpg

r1lark
100 - 199 Posts

Post by r1lark » 13 Dec 2019, 07:34

nox, good to see you posting regularly!

Was looking at your LPG conversion. Does the car run 'better' (smoother, more power, etc?) on LPG versus gasoline?
Paul
Visit The Studebaker Skytop Registry at: http://www.studebakerskytop.com

Champion V8
200 - 399 Posts

Post by Champion V8 » 13 Dec 2019, 16:34

I get happy everytime someone responds to my stuff! & I'm posting when ever I get in, can't help myself, way to good feeling...

LPG is giving a slightly less power unles you do some small changes such as replacing the springs under the rotor in the distributor with some less strong & some other small stuff I don't remember. It's a lot cleaner thou & as they say "the oil allmost lives for ever in a LPG engine" & no smell from the exhaust & no black un-burnt at all. You can have the car running in the garage without a pipe from the exhaust to outdoor, but you'll need new oxygene in there anyway so ventilation is still needed.
& you need to turn the timing a wee bit to, but you hear it if you know how to set it by hearing.

When I lived in Holland where LPG is a big thing people there said "it's real big in the states" but it seems to me that it's the oposite atleast among Studebaker people.

Now I got to wait a while to buy a new good coil, the ones I want are expensive here, because the speedshops know you have to go to them to get ACCEL Super Stock or MSD blaster 2.
I'm still waiting for the Atlantic to freeze so I can drive over & get my stuff for decent prices!

Champion V8
200 - 399 Posts

Post by Champion V8 » 13 Dec 2019, 16:54

I've checked the places who sell the coils I more or less prefer for the lowest prices here & the MSD Blaster 2 is 84:60$ & ACCEL Super Stock is 73:95$ & most speedshops want quite a bit more!
& I see Summit have MSD Blaster 2 for 48$ & ACCEL Super Stock for 27:13$... That sure makes one think... :(

Champion V8
200 - 399 Posts

Post by Champion V8 » 14 Dec 2019, 16:33

No matter how I try I just can't figure out how to get a picture small enough, I can get it down in size but the "KB" is always still to high, I get it down to just above 8 but I see it needs to be maximum 6 & what do I do to get it down to that..?
(Gotta contact my US pal for the shims again(!), I suspect he's falling asleep most of the time.)

Mike Van Veghten
Studebaker Racing Team Member

Post by Mike Van Veghten » 16 Dec 2019, 21:14

Champion -

At one time, back around the early/mid 70's, LPG was a sort of a big deal in the states. A lot pf promises were made for the conversion.
I was part of a Michelin radial tire experiment/test back then in a college class I was taking in Southern California.
Shortly into the tire test, one of the LPG dealers offered a kit to the school to put on our big Oldsmobile (full sized car). We did a bunch of preinstall testing, checking...compression pressure, leak down, took pictures of the last spark plugs used before the conversion, etc., etc.

We went from the stock 4 barrel Quadrajet carburetor to the 2 barrel conversion carburetor. No 4 barrel conversions were available at the time.
We were driving the big car almost 24 hours a day for the tire test, so once the conversion was done, and some tuning was done, it really got a good workout, about 75% freeway, the rest city.

I don't recall a lot of the particulars anymore, but I do remember some loss in acceleration power, but we attributed some of that to the difference in carburetor size, along with the difference in fuel, along with the added weight of the heavy fuel tank. We did retune the distributor, a bit faster ignition timing (which EVERYONE...should do !), and a little more initial timing. More compression ratio would have helped, but we didn't go that far.

What did show up after the tire test was complete... We tore into the engine to see what there was to see. The heads, combustion chambers, piston tops, cylinder walls...were as clean as a new engine..! And this was just over 100,000 miles..! When I say clean...I mean CLEAN, as in looking like new parts.

No, sorry I don't recall any mileage change, I "think"...it may have dropped just a little, but I don't recall positively, it was not a big deal to anyone.
Also, at the time, we had to be careful of our trip's as we had to be wary of LPG fuel station locations. At the time, there weren't that many in the southern part of Southern California.

Other than the fuel tank instal (a pain in the rear), and finding fuel, the swap was not a bad thing for a daily driver. NOT good for a heavy footed driver though..!

Have fun with it.

Mike

Champion V8
200 - 399 Posts

Post by Champion V8 » 18 Dec 2019, 16:49

Thanx for good words Mike, it's always interesting to read others experiances!
& I'm super-surpriced that I can get in day-after-day & I'm very happy for any input here on my project!
I haven't really tried it out as in timing her yet, I sometimes drive on gas & sometimes on LPG. I just changed to LPG because I thought there was a gas problem & it started & I didn't understand right there & then that it was because the coil had cooled off & now I've adjusted the ignition to LPG so I'll stick to that for a while.
In a few days we'll go up to Gøteborg (300 km drive) to spend x-mas with Sonja's folx & then I hope to go to my fav (& Swedens oldest) speedshop "Rogers Custom" to get me one of those in-Sweden-expencive coils, my pal will have to pay a bit of it... Sadly I'm out of money now so I'm working on his -54 Starlight, here's what I'm up to with that car, just done adjusting the Hawk radiator sadle to -54 size & fenders are next:
frontfix 1.JPG
& otherwise I'm like this...
004.JPG
& working on the buildings ofcourse, if I get a job I wonder what's gonna happen to this place...