Josephine, a "Moparistic" -55 sedan

This forum is devoted to all topics concerning high performance, Non-Studebaker powered Studebakers.
Champion V8
200 - 399 Posts

Re: Josephine, a "Moparistic" -55 sedan

Post by Champion V8 » 03 Jul 2020, 04:21

No box here yet, tracked it but I can't really make out where it is, this is what is says right now:
(copy & pasted)

In Transit to Next Facility. Your package is moving within the USPS network and is on track to be delivered to its final destination. It is currently in transit to the next facility.

Alan
Studebaker Racing Team Member

Post by Alan » 03 Jul 2020, 15:44

That is what it says on mine. Don't know if it is on a plane or a slow boat by way of China.

Champion V8
200 - 399 Posts

Post by Champion V8 » 03 Jul 2020, 16:34

Strange; I just wrote something & submited it & then it was gone! Let's see if this works...

Ah, it did! So here I go again so I pressed edit, nothing important thou:
When my pal send me the shims it was just the begining of the corona virus & that took a looong time, hope it goes faster this time.

Champion V8
200 - 399 Posts

Post by Champion V8 » 06 Jul 2020, 18:04

Yesterday I went to look at a model A Ford & the day before I had to make a working heater, the one I made earier don't work good enough, so I had to come up with something real quick cuz it was gonna rain. The old one has been out for a while due to wiper work. Anyway, I made it "ugly & all" & then yesterday I took off & when I hit the highway the rain started but the wipers did not! It turned out the cables had come undone when I installed the switch, & at the moment I have big problems with that...
The heater was good thou, didn't even have to use the fan, here it is:
working heater 2.JPG
& the Ford was cool, just the kind I fancy but no deal:
A-Ford 9.JPG
I already had pictures of it from the owner but I took this one anyway & didn't look at the pic until I was back home & then I saw how badly the camera had focused, I never learn that one shouldn't trust electric stuff.

Then today a couple, also Studebaker people, turned up & we talked a lot & the man told me that he used to write in the first swedish hotrod mag Start & Speed in the early 70's! Oh, all the memories...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Champion V8
200 - 399 Posts

Post by Champion V8 » 08 Jul 2020, 15:46

Since I found the wipers going fast even on slow as long as the power went through the original switch I've tried different switches that wouldn't work because of different reasons & in the end I found one but the togle itself is to short but better than nothing until I find a 12 volt switch.
Picture:
working wiper.JPG
At least it works now.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Champion V8
200 - 399 Posts

Post by Champion V8 » 13 Jul 2020, 17:33

We've been having friends for visit for quite a while now, 4 bunches of them one after another & with the last bunch (2 grownups & 3 kids) we took off to Øland for some days & some nights ago I finaly understood Josephine's vibration problem: the driveshaft is 2 pipes; one inside the other & I'm certain the inner one is lose at one end!
So now it's down to finding a shaft of the right length... & aint it strange how long it can take for a proper thought to land in ones head? I'ts not that this thought hasn't been near before, I recognise it, but I suspect I've tried to look for other causes, & the thought that we must have missed something when welding it after shorten it might have been... eh... uncomfortable..? Yep, that must be it! :?

Champion V8
200 - 399 Posts

Post by Champion V8 » 15 Jul 2020, 07:44

Tracked the package & this is the result so far...

"Processed Through Regional Facility. Your item was processed through our LOS ANGELES CA INTERNATIONAL DISTRIBUTION CENTER facility on July 12, 2020 at 4:50 am. The item is currently in transit to the destination."

It seems they just don't wanna let go stuff. :(

Alan
Studebaker Racing Team Member

Post by Alan » 15 Jul 2020, 21:15

This COVID 19 stuff is so bad. I ordered a book from B&N on July 2 and it was sent out from Fresno. Next day it was at Richmond 200 miles in the opposite direction. There it sat for 9 days. I finally got it yesterday. I could have driven up there and picked it up and been back home the same day.

Champion V8
200 - 399 Posts

Post by Champion V8 » 16 Jul 2020, 04:07

Yeah, I reckon with the virus it's not everyone at work.

Today Nils is finaly coming with engine & gearbox to his coupe, gonna feel good to get that car more complete even thou he couldn't bring rear axel & windows because the family don't wanna travel far in the Land Rover so it's all in the Volvo that don't have towhook.
Pictures of that soon... ;)

Champion V8
200 - 399 Posts

Post by Champion V8 » 17 Jul 2020, 18:52

Just a few pix for now, things are rolling with problems & solutions as you've pro'ly seen on the Tech Talk on the "ordinary" forum... So it's Nils's -54 (to his anoyment as he would prefer a -53) outside & then him & the engine & gearbox:

Champion V8
200 - 399 Posts

Post by Champion V8 » 17 Jul 2020, 18:53

Ah, forgot the pictures comes on backwards, but I think it works anyway, right? ;)

Champion V8
200 - 399 Posts

Post by Champion V8 » 18 Jul 2020, 08:52

So it got way late last night but today the engine got up in the air, car forward & engine in. To compare hight from the last picture in the other post, here with engine in:
009.JPG
Stuff that remains are a few, the axelerator linkage takes way to much space forward, pro'ly caused by the 6cyl that used to sit there:
008.JPG
& the mounts should be further back too:
005.JPG
Under the car it shows 3-3,1/4 inch until the gearbox mount is in its proper possition, no picture of that just now.
Now I'm alone with the dogs & Dodge-the-cat because Sonja & Ozzian went to Gøtheborg with Nils & family to stay with Sonja's parents for some days... & I'm gonna clean up the barn quite a bit now!

Champion V8
200 - 399 Posts

Post by Champion V8 » 18 Jul 2020, 14:18

& here's a quiz; where should the piece that lays on the valvecover be mounted? We know it should be on the carb, or at least we think so...
010.JPG

Champion V8
200 - 399 Posts

Post by Champion V8 » 22 Jul 2020, 03:08

No guessing on that quiz? Not racing enough ofcourse!
Anyway, about one hos drive from us there's the biggest US car scrapyard in Sweden & that's where I was planning to go to find me another driveshaft but they're closed 3 more weeks. Usually these summer months are the best for them when people having vacation but this year they decided they didn't want crowds there, it's really out on the countryside so I reckon they're just as (relativly) safe from the virus as we are here.
So in the meantime I'll play with other stuff than Josephine.

& I've discoverd one thing... When I installed the ignition box
002.JPG
someone on the MoPar forum said that if I installed a switch on the white (non used) wire it would act as an extra killer switch, so ofcourse I did that but nothing happend.
& there was another rather irritating thing too; if I took off or put on any of the cables on the battery there was always a strong spark... So I figured that since there's one black & one red coming from the box that according to the installation manual should be & are connected direct to + on the battery...
I messured these & sure enough; it was the red one!
So now I have let that one go through a switch instead of the dead white one, it's the slightly thicker red one.

It's piling up with extra non-original switches now so I also have to make a panel for those, I have one on the right side of the steering column for the overdrive switch & light + temp meter
003.JPG
but I have to make one for the other side too & that's some work since the switches for LPG & the fusebox sits there
004.JPG
& that means I'll have to include the LPG switches & move the fusebox to somewhere else.
I'm waiting for inspiration...

& soon "evil Lizzie" is gonna have puppies again... She's really cruel to Carmenzita at times, it's very hard to get her off when she attacks, & even thou Carmenzita lays herself down emidetly Lizzie just keeps on & on... So when the puppies are to new homes it'll be the same for her. Both me & Ozzian are sick'n tired of her agressive behaviour & feel we don't need that in our family but Sonja says "you can't just do that with a family member" but we're living in Sweden & that's a country where we vote "& so on" so away goes Lizzie.
It's not fun but it's needed. & for sure there's someone out there who lives far from other dogs.

Champion V8
200 - 399 Posts

Post by Champion V8 » 27 Jul 2020, 03:20

Off topic:
Took a picture yesterday of the dogs:
002.JPG
For two days Carmenzita has been running off hunting a big hare but yesterday she couldn't, I made sure of that, & this morning (about 30 minits ago) I had both dogs out in the garden for a wee stroll & "dog-toilet" & at the end on our way back in I noticed Carmenzita was gone... But she returned reasonably soon when I called her, & she came back with some "used hare spare part" in her mouth, real happy... & so she lays down as she does with toys & let go for a second & just as with the toys Lizzie takes it & walks away & before I can get to her she's already swallowed a big hunk of something looking like a piece of wood, whatever that was...