Studebaker Home Foundry Project

Share pictures of your workspace/garage/shop, as well as any information about tools, tips and tricks that you have/use around your shop.
R5 Lark
Studebaker Racing Team Member

Studebaker Home Foundry Project

Post by R5 Lark » 27 Jan 2017, 10:13

Well not really but everything has a beginning. (LOL) Planned and built this backyard foundry and made the first test pour yesterday. It came out surprisingly well. This pour required a half of bag of charcoal. And the weight gain was .6 lbs of pure Al2. Now where did I put those Studebaker Cylinder Head moulds?????? :P
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

64Avanti

Re: Studebaker Foundry

Post by 64Avanti » 28 Jan 2017, 02:48

I always wanted some aluminum cup cakes!
David Livesay

R5 Lark

Post by R5 Lark » 28 Jan 2017, 11:33

Hi Dave, yes these would be a bite to remember. I made two more melts yesterday and built the ingot stock to nearly 2 lbs now. They turned out very nice. A pot and and garden tool were the victims. Here is a view of the foundry. I made it "mobile". Currently held together by "gravity". Had some wind gusts but it didn't move any. Takes about 30 minutes for a melt. 20 minutes of that is letting the charcoal cook and then 10 minutes of air (low and high) to monitor the melt and its ready. Also melted some cut up drink cans (checked for dryness, etc) and got some Al2 but a large portion was "dross."

Did you discover the break problem on those roller rockers I sent you? Also never got the head specs from you. PM is ok.

I going to redesign the furnance. This version has me bending over and on my knees to remove the metal. I don't like that with my spine and knee problems. And there are certain safety rules that are a MUST! So noone should attempt this without careful research and cautions. 1300 degrees is nothing to play around with.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

shifter44
Over 400 Posts!

Post by shifter44 » 28 Jan 2017, 15:25

What is the goal ?
If you can't get there in a STUDEBAKER,
it ain't worth goin' .

Bill H .

64Avanti

Post by 64Avanti » 29 Jan 2017, 22:07

Tom I will try to call you Monday or Tuesday.
David Livesay

R5 Lark

Post by R5 Lark » 06 Feb 2017, 10:10

Here is version 2 of the foundry. Placed it on a picknic table which saves the bending over and kneeling problems. Also made some internal changes for efficiency. The wagon is filled with dirt and anchors the foundation blocks. Dirt was also used to level the wagon on the table since it was not a dead flat item. Wheels were tossed.

Made the first casting pour this weekend for my 16 volt alternator. This will be the mounting support. Have to clean it up this week, do some milling on it and hopefully it will mount and fit. The time from starting the fire and pouring the molten medal was 35 minutes. This was a 3 # pour so had to be super cautious. Face shield, welders gloves, welders apron, etc. New crucible and handler stick also had to be made. Fuel consumption was 2/3 bag of bricklet charcoals. Still had residue heat left over for say a 1/2 lb melt but wasn't set up for that. I make sure everything is planned out and accessible. From flame lift off to pour is about 5 seconds. (tom c)

R5 Lark

Post by R5 Lark » 07 Feb 2017, 09:19

Cleaned up the casting and have started the machining. Fits nicely on the headbolt standoffs. Clamping it down in the mill is a challenge. Tried to allow part oversize for machining losts.

shifter44
Over 400 Posts!

Post by shifter44 » 07 Feb 2017, 10:01

This could be the first segment of " How Studebaker Things are Made " on cable TV .

Quite interesting........thanks .

3 piece intake next??
If you can't get there in a STUDEBAKER,
it ain't worth goin' .

Bill H .

63larkr1

Post by 63larkr1 » 07 Feb 2017, 17:27

Tom,
My grandsons like to watch an animated movie about a robot kid that wants to be an inverter. But ends up finding ways to fix the other outdated robots when the big corporations refuse to make anymore repair parts. His moto is "see a need, fill a need".
That's how I see you! You have a need for some obsolete, or poorly made Studebaker replacement part, and you just take it on yourself, successfully, to build it. Time after time. Especially if someone tells you can't do it. We all benefit from your talents.
Thanks,
Richard
Studebaker Drag Racing You can't beat it.
The 11th annual all Studebaker Nationals Drag Race is Saturday May 25th, 2018 at 9:00 am at Brown County Dragway in Bean Blossom, Indiana. For more information contact Richard Poe

R5 Lark

Post by R5 Lark » 08 Feb 2017, 21:56

Thanks. I finished the machining. Fly cut the back side and trimmed the mount pads and brackets. It is still very thick and could take some more cutting on the backside but wanted to make an install test. It fits and lines up just fine so all the template measurements were good. The flycut was smooth and no bubbles or porosity spots anywhere. The weight reduction was 50% less over the iron and steel combo that it replaced and it could lose another 20% and still be strong. .

r1lark
100 - 199 Posts

Post by r1lark » 09 Feb 2017, 07:00

Neat job Tom!

Was the aluminum that you melted down just various scrap pieces?
Paul
Visit The Studebaker Skytop Registry at: http://www.studebakerskytop.com

R5 Lark

Post by R5 Lark » 09 Feb 2017, 09:10

Yes, This pour was from oven aluminum pans the wife gave me. :D Pop cans are also ok once the dross is removed. Takes about 40 cans to net 1 lb of Al2. I weighted the steel/iron combo first and calculated a square inch volume. Then based on the square inch volume weight of Al2 calculated the minimum required. Then doubled that to make sure the pour volume was adequate. This stuff melts at 1221 F and research says 1300's is best temp to pour for structure strength. And the rate of pour matters too. Not to fast and not to slow. Used the mini-mill for the machining. The backside and the pads are level. (tom c)

Jeff Rice
Global Moderator

Post by Jeff Rice » 09 Feb 2017, 13:30

Awesome!

Nicely done!

R5 Lark

Post by R5 Lark » 18 Feb 2017, 10:10

Made my second melt and pour casting yesterday. Hope to start machining it today to see if it is serviceable. Also made up a thicker wall crucible. Wanted 1/8 inch but had to settle for a 1/4 inch. Weights almost 5 lbs. This melt was from the pure Al2 ingots and had minor dross to remove which is good. (tom c)

Jeff Rice
Global Moderator

Post by Jeff Rice » 18 Feb 2017, 12:19

Couple of questions:

A) What's this part going to be?

B) If you are copying a part...Are you taking shrinkage into account with your mold?