Skeeter Hawk Project

THE place to document, in chronological order, ON-GOING progress/milestones of ANY high performance Studebaker project. Projects include any major/lengthy - repair/modification/resto/total rebuild OR an extensive build/development/modification of a high performance Studebaker part/system. Including as much info/many photos about/of your project is greatly appreciated! ON-GOING PROJECTS ONLY PLEASE.
shifter44
Over 400 Posts!

Skeeter Hawk Project

Post by shifter44 » 12 Sep 2011, 15:21

Here is my project , which I have named The Skeeter Hawk due to the thousands of bites that I
have received during its construction .
After MANY years , I finally went to the dragstrip yesterday for a shakedown day. This car is not
street driveable , and so I only have a little driveway time for info before this.
The intent of this car is fun , at my pace .
I made 2 runs. I did not run the car hard. I needed to check out the brakes , and just about everything
else as well.
I was VERY pleased with the weight of the car. 2720 with out me !!
Specs : 296 CID , R2+ cam , nice valve job ,ATI damper , 3 tube headers , Jeff Rice iron intake ,
T-Bolt Distributor . Wilwood calipers on '66 Stude Rotors. 4.88 AMC 20 axle w/Detroit Locker and
Moser axle shafts.
Fiberglass nose ,tilt/remove , Fiberglass decklid , Lexan windows except back window. Frame is
Backhalved only with homebuilt coils and Ladder Bars.
I am happy with the brakes ,since it stopped very nicely from about 87 MPH. I am having a heating
problem , but I'll work that out. It was 104 at the track on the asphalt and very humid.
If you can't get there in a STUDEBAKER,
it ain't worth goin' .

Bill H .

PackardV8
Studebaker Racing Team Member

Re: Skeeter Hawk

Post by PackardV8 » 12 Sep 2011, 15:55

Fantastic! Wish you'd shared the build as you went along.

When you are ready for larger valves/better springs, let me know.

jack vines

Jeff Rice
Global Moderator

Re: Skeeter Hawk

Post by Jeff Rice » 12 Sep 2011, 18:10

Awesome!
No hurry to flog it... Steady progress! Looks great!
When you are ready, I have a couple of extra pair of those nose grille stickers we talked about a while back....
Jeff 8)

Sonny
Site Admin

Re: Skeeter Hawk Project

Post by Sonny » 12 Sep 2011, 21:46

What the.... :?: :!: ANOTHER Studebaker powered drag car?! SWEEEEEEEEEET :!: :!: :!: AND it's a Baaaa-Dazzzz lookin' Stude! Congratulations on such a nice car, mr. shifter! :mrgreen: PLEASE keep us in the loop! Thanks a million for the pictures and update! I'm lookin' forward to many more! :wink: 8) 8) 8)
Sonny

TedHarbit

Post by TedHarbit » 12 Sep 2011, 23:35

Skeeter; I think I recognize you in that picture. You're initials are BH. Right? Wish people would use their given name. I have enough trouble remembering things anyway.

Ted
shifter44 wrote:Image
Here is my project , which I have named The Skeeter Hawk due to the thousands of bites that I
have received during its construction .
After MANY years , I finally went to the dragstrip yesterday for a shakedown day. This car is not
street driveable , and so I only have a little driveway time for info before this.
The intent of this car is fun , at my pace .
I made 2 runs. I did not run the car hard. I needed to check out the brakes , and just about everything
else as well.
I was VERY pleased with the weight of the car. 2720 with out me !!
Specs : 296 CID , R2+ cam , nice valve job ,ATI damper , 3 tube headers , Jeff Rice iron intake ,
T-Bolt Distributor . Wilwood calipers on '66 Stude Rotors. 4.88 AMC 20 axle w/Detroit Locker and
Moser axle shafts.
Fiberglass nose ,tilt/remove , Fiberglass decklid , Lexan windows except back window. Frame is
Backhalved only with homebuilt coils and Ladder Bars.
I am happy with the brakes ,since it stopped very nicely from about 87 MPH. I am having a heating
problem , but I'll work that out. It was 104 at the track on the asphalt and very humid.

Karl

Post by Karl » 13 Sep 2011, 01:08

Sonny wrote:What the.... :?: :!: ANOTHER Studebaker powered drag car?! SWEEEEEEEEEET :!: :!: :!: AND it's a Baaaa-Dazzzz lookin' Stude! Congratulations on such a nice car, mr. shifter! :mrgreen: PLEASE keep us in the loop! Thanks a million for the pictures and update! I'm lookin' forward to many more! :wink: 8) 8) 8)
Another cool Stude..
[img]http://i117.photobucket.com/albums/o50/twnchgr/cartoontwin.jpg[/img]

shifter44
Over 400 Posts!

Post by shifter44 » 13 Sep 2011, 09:27

Here's a couple more pics.
For TED , yes that is me , Bill Hahn. I don't know why , other than fear of spam, that we don't use
real names. I considered call the car The Glacier Hawk , but some of them are faster than me.
Maybe The Tectonic Plate Hawk ?
The Stude heater fan is blowing down onto a Trans cooler/filter mounted where the heater
rad was. These pics are a little old and a few updates have occurred since then.

it ain't worth goin' .

Bill H .

R5 Lark

Post by R5 Lark » 13 Sep 2011, 09:39

Looks good Bob. What shifter is that? I've got problems with the B & M Powerglide shifter I bought. Unable to engage Park and had to modify the trans rooster spring to even get it to pull ok in LDNR. No cure except to buy another shifter. I need Park to hold the car on the trailer and on my driveway really bad. Thanks.

shifter44
Over 400 Posts!

Post by shifter44 » 13 Sep 2011, 10:53

Tom , that is a Hurst Quarter Stick. My trans is a TH 350 with regular shift pattern. 10" TCI converter.
SteelTech adapter. I get Park OK .
Here are some fresher pics.

it ain't worth goin' .

Bill H .

mbstude
200 - 399 Posts

Post by mbstude » 13 Sep 2011, 17:30

Bill, Congrats! It's been pretty tough keeping this car a secret all these years, but you've done a great job on the build and it was worth the wait. You've made a ton of progress since I last saw the car in 2008.

For most of you that don't know, Bill has built this car entirely himself in his one bay garage behind his house. High-buck builds are nice, but what Bill has done is what gets me goin'.
Matthew Burnette

shifter44
Over 400 Posts!

Post by shifter44 » 23 Sep 2011, 12:27

Had a bit of a cooling problem at the track. I was running the pump with a belt from the crank.
I have now installed an Electric drive motor. Brief testing here in the driveway is promising .
The electric drive requires that the thermostat be removed. I am now the thermostat !!
This is a track only car , so that should work ok .

it ain't worth goin' .

Bill H .

SilverHawkDan

Post by SilverHawkDan » 23 Sep 2011, 17:37

Bill,
Very nice car. I like that you built it yourself. Nothing better than to know you were the author. Keep us posted on your future exploits. And of course as Sonny always says "We Love Pictures". Congratulations on a great Studebaker race car.
Dan
Grew up Studebaker. Drag raced successfully in Southern California. Flew down the salt in the Burke Avanti in 2010 at 159 mph as the Bucket List Dream Avanti. Now part of the Dutch Treat Racing Team, Super Lark driver/team member.

shifter44
Over 400 Posts!

Post by shifter44 » 05 Dec 2011, 20:42

Finally back at the track. The October date was rained out .
I ran the car a little harder this time. The cooling problem encountered at the previous race has
been greatly improved by the electric water pump drive. It was about 80 Deg. air temp,and I could
cool it between passes. There was about 45 minutes in line for each run.
The car ran about 1 sec quicker this time , and about 6 MPH faster. I will be installing a line-lock soon .
I made 3 runs . 1st a Corvette that ran 12.232 @128.66 vs My 14.435 @ 91.21
2nd a Corvette that ran 14.620 @ 101.28 vs My 15.046 @ 92.15 ( Torqued it up harder and
Red lighted by .035 and backed out
for a second , then went on. )
3rd an S-10 with a Chevy 350 and 2 Quadrajets and 4 speed. :
S-10 ran 15.151 @ 92.71 vs My 14.303 @ 92.77 and I won by .4778 even tho he redlighted.
I'm seeing about 5400 RPM at the line . Just having fun , generally a great bunch there.
I towed down there with my '95 Dakota ( 63 Miles ) , and that went well .
I think that a little more break-in may bring temps down a bit more , but can't run it too much here at the house.
it ain't worth goin' .

Bill H .

PackardV8

Post by PackardV8 » 05 Dec 2011, 20:52

Congrats on being back on track and winning one.
an S-10 with a Chevy 350 and 2 Quadrajets
What sort of manifold was he running which mounted two Quadrajets?

63larkr1

Post by 63larkr1 » 07 Dec 2011, 10:32

Great job Bill. I love to see Studebaker powered race cars and you have a beauty there! I can understand the long hours working in the garage it takes to get something like this together. It looks like you did a lot and it’s going to be fun every time you take it out. I have also had young guys come up and show great interest in my car and then you get the older guys that remember racing against one in the past and want to tell you about it.
Maybe someday we can race together. Now I need to get to the garage!
Richard
Studebaker Drag Racing You can't beat it.
The 11th annual all Studebaker Nationals Drag Race is Saturday May 25th, 2018 at 9:00 am at Brown County Dragway in Bean Blossom, Indiana. For more information contact Richard Poe