Low Tech Stude Workshop Project

Share pictures of your workspace/garage/shop, as well as any information about tools, tips and tricks that you have/use around your shop.
Jeff Rice
Global Moderator

Low Tech Stude Workshop Project

Post by Jeff Rice » 01 Jan 2010, 10:31

While not exactly a Stude vehicle project......
This is what's happening with my low tech workshop project.
The goal?
Stay in the black, so Stude's can cause me to go in the red :twisted: ..

Needed to re-do some of the supports inside the upper section so there would be clearance for the two post lift that is laying there awaiting the floor.....

Finished this part yesterday afternoon to get my New Year's resolution closer...

More boring pic's are up on Webshots at:
http://rides.webshots.com/album/576001501CQVbMg

PackardV8
Studebaker Racing Team Member

Post by PackardV8 » 01 Jan 2010, 13:45

Nice shop, Jeff.

And somewhere, is there some woman is saying, "That garage is bigger than the house!"

And all the while, you're thinking, "Should have built at least four more parking spaces."

thnx, jack vines

R5 Lark

Post by R5 Lark » 01 Jan 2010, 22:14

Nice! Is this the World Headquarters Studebaker Research and Performance Building? :D

Wish I had that much room. What are you doing for the floors? I want to put something down on my floors one day. Do you have enough current and space to support a flow bench?

Jeff Rice
Global Moderator

Post by Jeff Rice » 02 Jan 2010, 08:27

LOL... Yeah, right...
New underground 220v 200amp capable, but am only riunning 100amp breaker, water, telephone, and soon TV co-ax and data cable.
The doors and floors are the next two big items..
The center aisle will have 6" of concrete (to support the 2 post lift, and a future 4 post lift.
The side sections will be 4&1/2" concrete..
Air compressor is in, but a lil' bit of piping plumbing needs to be finished.
All the lighting is in, and all the 220v outlets are run.
Kind of crude by some guys standards, but it's all paid for, and it's dry and lit up inside...
C'mon down!
Nice guest room in the hose.
Jeff 8)

R5 Lark wrote:Nice! Is this the World Headquarters Studebaker Research and Performance Building? :D

Wish I had that much room. What are you doing for the floors? I want to put something down on my floors one day. Do you have enough current and space to support a flow bench?

Tom Osborne

Post by Tom Osborne » 02 Jan 2010, 14:47

Thats a very cool Shop!!! Look at it this way also,,, You have a sturdy set of beams to hang a hammock if she happens to lock you out , Just plug in a toaster oven or turn an old Iron upside down and you got it good. Thats how us rednecks do it in Canada. And do not forget the juice cooler. Been there done that. Nothing nicer than lots of clearance over the hoist!!! Awesome work Jeff ,,, Tom O.
"First by far with a post war car"
TOM-O-HAWK STREET/STRIP Project

Dave Bloomberg

Post by Dave Bloomberg » 02 Jan 2010, 16:32

Man-O-man am I jellous!! My littel two car garage is very tieght!! Nice job on your garage Jeff, enjoy, Dave
Original owner of 1963 Avanti, race my Avanti at Bonneville, Muroc Dry lake & El Mirage, presently hold world records for D/CPS at Bonneville, Muroc & El Mirage race courses.
In 2006 became member of the Bonneville 200 MPH Club.

Jeff Rice
Global Moderator

Post by Jeff Rice » 02 Jan 2010, 20:06

How did you know I have a hammock? :lol:
The local telephone co-op wired our county for fibre optic this year.
When they sent the install crew around, I asked them if they could run a separate drop from the house out to my shop.
After some negotiations (2 12 packs of Sam Adams and Leinenkugel), they plowed in a duct (1&1/4" poly tubing with a nylon weave pull line already in it) from the house to the shop.
This way I can pull in a data cable for the 'puter, and a co-ax cable for the TV...
Sure, it's in the future, but the hard part is done...
Coming along slow but sure.
I intend to house any west coast Stude racers that want to come over to run at Maxton....
(A few hours up the road from me)...
Thanks for the comments gang...
(Just sharing my sweat and aches and pains)...
Jeff 8)

Tom Osborne wrote:Thats a very cool Shop!!! Look at it this way also,,, You have a sturdy set of beams to hang a hammock if she happens to lock you out , Just plug in a toaster oven or turn an old Iron upside down and you got it good. Thats how us rednecks do it in Canada. And do not forget the juice cooler. Been there done that. Nothing nicer than lots of clearance over the hoist!!! Awesome work Jeff ,,, Tom O.
[/img]

55commander
200 - 399 Posts

Post by 55commander » 06 Jan 2010, 17:57

that looks like a nice setup, congratulations

Tom Osborne

Post by Tom Osborne » 06 Jan 2010, 18:06

Did You manage to get the 3 phaze electric in?? Its nice that you are providing this degree of hospitality to Stude Racers in your area Awesome !! Tom O.
"First by far with a post war car"
TOM-O-HAWK STREET/STRIP Project

Jeff Rice
Global Moderator

Post by Jeff Rice » 06 Jan 2010, 22:37

It only has single phase... But I have a great rotary phase converter :P
Jeff 8)
Tom Osborne wrote:Did You manage to get the 3 phaze electric in?? Its nice that you are providing this degree of hospitality to Stude Racers in your area Awesome !! Tom O.

Bob Andrews
60 - 99 Posts

Post by Bob Andrews » 14 Jan 2010, 21:33

Just saw this thread, Jeff, very cool!

I have two air compressors from the local Lincoln dealer that are fairly new that I bought for next-to-nothing. Only problem is they're 3-phase. I believe the motors are 10 HP, so you can imagine the size of the compressors. I've got one sited where I want it in my utility/compressor room, but need to figure out how to run it. I'm told there's a way to rig some sort of convertor to make it work, just haven't figured it out yet. Any ideas??
[img]http://www.patrioticon.org/images/flag1-1.gif[/img]

[b]GOD BLESS AMERICA[/b]

Jeff Rice
Global Moderator

Post by Jeff Rice » 14 Jan 2010, 22:01

Do a search on 'rotary phase converters' on Google.
Size one according to the size of the motors on your compressors.
Couple of things to note...
A rotary phase converter is basically a three phase motor run on single phase splitting one phase out...
A 5hp converted motor will probably only put out 3+hp...
But if the load is not too hard, it might work ok. (I'm no expert)
Wierd things...
You flip the switch and the motor (rotary phase converter) starts running...and then you start up the 3 phase motor...
When they are running you don't really notice the diff.
Don't bother with a 'static' phase converter...
Anything 2hp and above...and old...probably won't start up (BTDT)
You might want to have a good motor shop price out a single phase rebuilt motor first and use it as a price comparison for a rotary phase convertor...
HTIH
Jeff 8)

Bob Andrews wrote:Just saw this thread, Jeff, very cool!

I have two air compressors from the local Lincoln dealer that are fairly new that I bought for next-to-nothing. Only problem is they're 3-phase. I believe the motors are 10 HP, so you can imagine the size of the compressors. I've got one sited where I want it in my utility/compressor room, but need to figure out how to run it. I'm told there's a way to rig some sort of convertor to make it work, just haven't figured it out yet. Any ideas??

PackardV8

Post by PackardV8 » 15 Jan 2010, 00:07

FWIW, a 10hp compressor would require at least a 15hp 3-phase motor to function as a rotary converter. Also, since a compressor starts under load, it loads the converter motor and wiring very heavily. Do your research, but most don't recommend trying to run an air compressor with a rotary converter.

thnx, jack vines

Jeff Rice
Global Moderator

Post by Jeff Rice » 15 Jan 2010, 07:38

Thanks for the additional info Jack.
I never ran a big motor, or an air compressor, so this is news to me.
I just ran my Bridgeport motor, and even then, I tried two static phase converters unsuccessfully before settling on the rotary converter.
Admittedly, a phase converter is a crutch, which is why I suggested talking to a motor shop first.
I would have gladly swapped motors, but the bridgeport motor is funky enough that motor shops don't have them, and the cost to convert mine was way more than the cost of the rotary converter.
Maybe a compressor motor, being a standardized mount and shaft, but just a different RPM...would not be that odd that a motor shop might have a deal out there.
But a compressor, if operating properly, shouldn't be starting under load, should it?
Jeff 8)

PackardV8 wrote:FWIW, a 10hp compressor would require at least a 15hp 3-phase motor to function as a rotary converter. Also, since a compressor starts under load, it loads the converter motor and wiring very heavily. Do your research, but most don't recommend trying to run an air compressor with a rotary converter.

thnx, jack vines

Bob Andrews
60 - 99 Posts

Post by Bob Andrews » 15 Jan 2010, 19:28

Food for thought. I did look up 'rotary phase converters' , and they look to be around $700. Might be cheaper and easier to buy a single phase motor- or not.

Just for reference, here's the compressor:

I bought two of them for around $700 for the pair, running when I bought them. Still determining if they were worth the effort. If I had 3-phase there would be no doubt...[/img]
[img]http://www.patrioticon.org/images/flag1-1.gif[/img]

[b]GOD BLESS AMERICA[/b]