Josephine, a "Moparistic" -55 sedan

This forum is devoted to all topics concerning high performance, Non-Studebaker powered Studebakers.
stewed
200 - 399 Posts

Re: Josephine, a "Moparistic" -55 sedan

Post by stewed » 04 Jul 2019, 22:47

Nox,I've noticed posts seem to be down also,but I check every day anyway.

Champion V8
60 - 99 Posts

Post by Champion V8 » 05 Jul 2019, 03:47

What I ment was that it seems to me that less people are busy here these days... But maby it's just the posts I used to check that are a bit sleepy at the moment, it could ofcourse be so; like Jeff's moving keeping him out a bit & even worse is that Dan left us for ever & the guy with the home made injection system has quit, & so on...
:oops:

Champion V8
60 - 99 Posts

Post by Champion V8 » 19 Sep 2019, 17:05

Hahahaha ! ! ! I'm just SO surprised & NOT prepaired everytime, like this, I get axes! (That spelling sure makes it look... eh... exiting..?)
Anyway, I'm in a bubble now, as told on the SDC forum I'm waiting for shims for the rear axel to angle the pinion because it's dipping way to much. I'm at it to order by a pal I got to know in A'dam who's into Lambretta scooters & who lives in Minesota, but it takes time. & in the meantime I'm building a new wall on our barn, the short side or whatever you might call it + we also had puppies; Lizzie who's 50% Dobermann & 50% Working Kelpie had quite a couple of good times with a pure Dobermann:
1.jpg
& that became:
#5, alla 7.jpg
but now they're all gone exept Carmenzita & she's a keeper:
003.JPG
3 month "old" now.

Josephine on the other hand is still on stands & all I've done is to (maby) have finnished the heater instalation, it was just a matter of making & painting a plate for cover.
& I've instaled my old rev-counter on the steering column. That took a while, searching for a way to clamp it & in the end I (while building the wall & having to re-place things) saw a chrome coil holder laying to no use, forgot I had it! & that one was perfect! I just had to cut off the ears, it's even a bit rusty.
I still have to connect the electrix thou...
I was gonna take a picture of it all but since I didn't expect to get in here I've delayed it... gonna do it tomorrow I hope.
Oh, I'm gonna get a Hurst shifter also, there's one only a few miles from here for a fair price! They don't come cheap anymore here, in the 70's there were speedshops all over & I was also living in Stockholm to boot, but now I'm out on the countryside + down south so the few times I score something are a few!
Hope I remember to post a interior pic tomorrow...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Champion V8
60 - 99 Posts

Post by Champion V8 » 19 Sep 2019, 17:57

Just couldn't help myself, 5 minits to midnight I sneaked out & took a photo...
001.JPG
Night time = flash time, not so nice but I hope "you get the picture".
The smaller meter is for temp, the switch between the meter & steering column is for overdrive (gonna replace it all later, it's all in a temporary positions now.
The big red triangle plate under the dash is the heater cover & the chrome thing at the right side under the speaker mesh is the heater fan switch & at the other end of the mesh, mostly hidden by the steering wheel, is the handle for LPG air adjustment. (now I regret putting the V8 sign where it is, I'd rather have it on the heater plate)
Above the gear stick just by the knob shows the manual shoke reglage & above that is the horn button. The midle switch on the left side of the meters is for windshield waterspray, can't remember what it's called at the moment, silly me, blaming it on being (from your point of view) foreign.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Champion V8
60 - 99 Posts

Post by Champion V8 » 02 Nov 2019, 18:32

Ah, in again!
Got the shifter & it's in now:
00062.JPG
Forgot to take a picture of the bracket & linkage I made, was pretty easy & fast done. Got the plain shifter & knob/ball so I had to make the rest myself but it went easy enough since I had saved some stuff from our Caddy hearse that we "un-hearsed" when Ozzian was kinda newborn. (Now he's 9 & has decided to use his other name Ozzian instead of Mowitz, he's a guy who really knows what he wants! So did I as a kid but didn't dare to say it...) But as I just wrote; no pic of the mechanic stuff.
Rev counter is also wired up now.

Champion V8
60 - 99 Posts

Post by Champion V8 » 02 Nov 2019, 18:51

My pal Bart who's gonna provide the shims seems to fall asleep if I don't knock him on his big head so nothing much has happend there, & that might be just as good because I probably will sell Josephine any day now & then this fun won't matter any more & at all.
I was just down home & aboard & it's getting less home as time rushes on, after new year I'll probably will be without mooring & if nobody buys the tug it'll go to scrap... It's heavy times now, big ships having bowtrusters + all new Euro regulations where Holland seems to be worst & cruelest.
I've been without income for way to long now & we can't have it all so first of all to pay for the mooring I will have to let Josephine go... It's not hard to get her sold but I wanna give her a GOOD home & it's hard to let her go after all this time & my dreams of a Studebaker since I was a todler! & the ship that was suposed to be not only the last one but also the keeper. There's a LOT of memories in that 117 years old boat.
325.JPG
So it's heavy & sad times now.
But we'll see what the future brings, hope aint the worst stuff one can have & so on, prayers & all.
Gee, am I a complainer or what..? I just wanted to tell you that I might suddenly not be here at my favourite site anymore & the reasons why.
That's it for now I reckon.

r1lark
100 - 199 Posts

Post by r1lark » 02 Nov 2019, 19:08

Hi nox, good to see you posting, but sad news for sure. So sorry to hear about the hard times. Honestly, I didn't realize that the tug was your source of income. And a 117 year old tug - wow, that's amazing.

I will be praying for you and your family.
Paul
Visit The Studebaker Skytop Registry at: http://www.studebakerskytop.com

Champion V8
60 - 99 Posts

Post by Champion V8 » 02 Nov 2019, 19:25

Well thanx a LOT Paul! The ship hasn't made much money so far; we've been rebuilding it by putting on a new alu wheelhouse & some small stuff & it's not all finnished yet either, even thou it's only a matter of small-to-us-things but buyers wanna have it all ready to go & there's no time or money (mostly time thou) for it anymore because I need to be in Sweden.

Champion V8
60 - 99 Posts

Post by Champion V8 » 02 Nov 2019, 19:30

Pictures from it's Hamburg days, good for going under low bridges but a beast to work up close with:
00 Matador.jpg
000 Matador.jpg
Built in 1902, new superstructure & MaK diesel put in 1958, engine still runs fine, no smoke even when cold start.

stewed
200 - 399 Posts

Post by stewed » 02 Nov 2019, 20:18

So sad. Take care NOX.

Champion V8
60 - 99 Posts

Post by Champion V8 » 03 Nov 2019, 03:22

Thanx, I hope I'll at least manage to keep Josephine but I don't see how at the moment.

Champion V8
60 - 99 Posts

Post by Champion V8 » 16 Nov 2019, 15:09

Usually I'm in here & write 2-3 days & last time it was 2 days before I got "banned for being a spammer". Then it can take a looong time until I'm let in again but now it's only 12 days ago! & I wasn't prepaired for that...
Anyway, Sonja's 2001 Subaru (from my point of view a modern car) had rusty rear brake pipes & they aint easy to replace, tank has to be taken down, so it went to our Subaru garage. (It's run by an old man who's real cool but sadly soon is gonna close down & who's sons don't wanna take over.)
Anyway, Sonja had to use Gaston (my -69 Citroen AMI6) & I had to tighten Josephine's rear leafspring-&-axel plates & let her down from her stands & drive Ozzian to school 3 mornings & fetch him 2 times... (Without much exhaust because I've taken it down to change it so it's a LOUD car now & Ozzian hates it bigtime.)
& the vibrations are still there, I reckon it has to do with the gearbox end being in better position but not the pinion end, that still dips way to much.
So no burnouts yet... ;)

Champion V8
60 - 99 Posts

Post by Champion V8 » 17 Nov 2019, 15:57

Still in so I think I'll tell you guys that I just came to think of something to ventilate; the first day I was gonna get Ozzian from school I wasn't prepaired yet & so I had to do stuff to get Josephine off the stands & such, so when I finaly was on my way I was a bit late... & we live out on the countryside near a village, walking distance if you feel like it & have time but the school is at the other end so car is the thing. 20 km from the vilage is a town with a police station, but here you never see any cops... exept that day! Coming into the village there's a officer waving me in to a small street to check what they feel like checking & I roll down my window & say "I'm on my way to fetch my kid, I'll be back here in 3 minits!" & that's a pretty bad thing to say & do because then they think you've got something reallyreally WRONG somewhere... So they did a BIG check & that takes time... & it's like they take a lot of extra time then to see how nervous you're gonna get... But they were positivly surprised that nothing was wrong & that I wasn't nervous at all. Nice guys but I came late to pick up my kid.
But the strangest thing was that they didn't say anything about how LOUD the car was! That I thought a lot about after. One cop said it's to late in the season to drive such an old car & I replied that there's no salt on the roads yet here down in the south part of Sweden.
Still; police always seems sure that everybody have all the time in the world for stopping & have a long shat with them... I should have brought coffee.

r1lark
100 - 199 Posts

Post by r1lark » 21 Nov 2019, 08:24

Maybe now that they have looked your car over really well, they won't stop you any more. :-)
Paul
Visit The Studebaker Skytop Registry at: http://www.studebakerskytop.com

Champion V8
60 - 99 Posts

Post by Champion V8 » 01 Dec 2019, 16:59

Ah, in again! Surprised every time..!
I've filled the strip between the hood & grille hole:
vek 5.JPG
& also bought mufflers & built a new rear part of the exhaust system, this time I went with almost straight piåpes under(!) the axel:
Avgas Nytt Klart 2.JPG
Gotta open the wheel arches to make a wheel change, hope I don't get a rear flat soon...
I've just finnished it this evening, as you can see the passanger side's pipe goes over the pinion to be on the same side as the left one, I always liked it when Studebakers looked "sportcar styled" as a kid & had the pipes together like Jaguar E-type or early Triumph Spitfire:
Triumph-Spitfire-GT6-Mk-I-300x225.jpg
& I don't want the pipes to stick out on the right/sidewalk side, otherwise the would have, but it used to be (& maby still is?) forbidden to let out exhaust on that side since we've been driving on the right side of the road (& more important in this case: streets) since 1967.