Josephine, a "Moparistic" -55 sedan

This forum is devoted to all topics concerning high performance, Non-Studebaker powered Studebakers.
Mike Van Veghten
Studebaker Racing Team Member

Re: Josephine, a "Moparistic" -55 sedan

Post by Mike Van Veghten » 14 May 2020, 10:36

Just put the paint on a little heavier than normal, wait until it sets up good, then lightly sand it until it's nice and smooth.
600 grit, 1000 grit, 5000 grit and polish, then wax.

I had a 67 Chevy II wagon painted years ago. It looked horrible. I told the shop, "I was NOT taking this mess home". "It's as rough as the street pavement, fix it", and I walked out. Six days later, they called. I went to their shop. It was about 50% better, more like the proverbial orange peal now. I told them to "keep sanding". They called me three days later. I said over the phone, that "I'd better not be making this trip for nothing".
I got there, and it actually looked pretty good...finally. I went over the whole car, even down low at the rocker panels, all looked good this time. They said that they had to repaint some, because they sanded through a couple of areas.
It looked good for another almost 5 years before I sold the car.

Just add paint thickness, then sand to smooth.

Mike

Champion V8
100 - 199 Posts

Post by Champion V8 » 14 May 2020, 15:04

Well me & Sonja always rolled our cars Mike; with the right kid of paint that covers good, as in enough pigment, + the quality that flows good without making cutains it always worked fine, until now.
Thanx for the input by the way!
The 1:st I bought this time was from the same place as I bought the turqoise for Gaston & that was a perfect paint, but this time it was a different matter, it coverd as good as nailpolish, I guess these days most dealers have to cut costs.
Anyway; I don't wanna have a paintwork that's gonna make me go "OH NOOO ! ! !" if anyone leans against the car, I've had enough of that. So I try to get it 3/4 glossy, it's not a new car & it's been repaired & so on...
(& I only sand for the paint to get a good grip after a good cleaning.)

Here's a Citroen I've owned & painted that way:
(a DS I shortend to a Rallye Coupe', a story on its own)
Nox Domen.jpg
Anyway...
Today I felt I had to go & get the u-joint so after picking up Ozzian I went, I needed other stuff too, such as thinner for the paint & brushes & a togle switch, the switch is a story on its own. So then I started to take down the drive shaft & looking into removing the old u-joint... But I found out I had better first empty the gearbox oil so I could withdraw the shaft & the car was in a bad position for that now... Then Sonja came home & reminded me that I'm the one who drives Ozzian to school tomorrow... So I put the shaft's rear u-joint back in place & tightend the 4 bolts... Exept one snapped!!! :oops:
I didn't dismantle it, gonna drive Ozzian tomorrow morning, come back & have breakfast & then... I'll be at it.
& then it's the story about the switch!
There's an "extra" wire from the new MSD ignition box that could be used for a kill switch, so that's what the switch is gonna be used for, & that's because otherwise the box is using power even when the ignition is off, due to the fact that there are a fat red & a fat black wire that goes to + & - on the battery.

Not everything is easy.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

r1lark
100 - 199 Posts

Post by r1lark » 15 May 2020, 07:14

nox, that shortened Citroen is really wild! Are Citroens body-on-frame, or a uni-body construction?
Paul
Visit The Studebaker Skytop Registry at: http://www.studebakerskytop.com

Champion V8
100 - 199 Posts

Post by Champion V8 » 15 May 2020, 10:28

The DS/ID are unit body, all (& I mean ALL! panels ae screwed on, even the roof! & the roof was in steel, alu or fiber glass, depending on whee they were built & what model. This was one of my inspirations:
(could wite a book in this subject)
Bjørn Waldegård.jpg
So...
Today I had to drive Ozzian to school & then pick him up too but the screws was ok when Iosend them & this is the way the broken one looked like, snapped off right at the edge:
7,12.JPG
& I thought about how awfull it is to weld on something in that position & worried about the seal... Until I came to think that it probably wasn't screwed into the bottom & then it wouldn't be stuck... So I got the tool I think I've had the longest, at least since the ealy 80's, & it's a seriously pointy thing & it worked:
7,13.JPG
So now while the oil is finnishing its dripping from the gearbox I'm gonna have dinner & then it's changing u-joint-time!
7,14.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Champion V8
100 - 199 Posts

Post by Champion V8 » 15 May 2020, 14:10

I'm not sure & I don't know... But I have a vage memory of some info that the drive shaft ends shouldn't "point sideways" at the same direction, or how one should put it..? I mean that should not look like this:
7,15.JPG
But as we can easily see it does... :(

Champion V8
100 - 199 Posts

Post by Champion V8 » 16 May 2020, 04:06

I've been on google & found my shaft ends are alright by looking at other shafts!!! ;)

r1lark
100 - 199 Posts

Post by r1lark » 16 May 2020, 08:11

nox, looks like the driveshaft has been rubbing pretty hard somewhere, about 12 - 18 inches behind the transmission.
Paul
Visit The Studebaker Skytop Registry at: http://www.studebakerskytop.com

Champion V8
100 - 199 Posts

Post by Champion V8 » 16 May 2020, 17:02

Ah yeah, that's the parking brake cable when the rear axel swings down, only surface thou.

Another thing I didn't think about in time is to get filter & oil for the gearbox... Not every store has ATF+4 that A500 boxes needs; it's a bit tricky the late 80's to early 90's with the torqflites due to changes to operate the overdrive, either electric or hydraulic. I've orderd the filter from the same place a bit up north (Arvika) where I also got my ignition parts from, the workshop I usualy buy my stuff from here such as the u-joint order parts from Hansen Racing in Stockholm & they're quite expencive.

Here's a wee bit of swedish speedshop history for ya:
My parents had 2 Studebakers & we lived at the outskirts of Stockholm & Carl Hansen also drove Studebakers & started to import speed equipment from the states around -65 & so for me Hansen Racing was always the #1 chiose. Carl Hansen was from Denmark & at first he lived onboard a boat in Stockholm with his Studebaker Hawks on the keyside, I think he had 3, then he started the shop in Stockholm city & then moved to a better/bigger shop & then to a really big place in Spånga, just outside the town. But when Carl got old he moved to California & his 2 sons took over & they were just youpies, I still kept on buying parts there but they were really boring guys & mostly sat in the office & raised the prices & today it's other owners too & they're just living on the fact that they're the second oldest speedshop in Sweden. Rogers Custom in Gøteborg is older & Hans who is the owner is a real good guy but get'n old & planning to quit. Where I grew up there was a dentist living in the house next to us & he had a car you only saw when he either came home or left, otherwise it was inside his garage... It was an Avanti & (I forgot his name just now) he started drag race the Avanti & sold it to Carl Hansen & moved to the US. That car for sure is well known among swedish Studebaker folx.

The story about Rogers Custom is also interesting (I lived in Gøteborg from -85 when I moved from Stockholm until I left Sweden in 2001) & the guy Roger was a sailor & a drunkard who registrated the firm, went around among the rockers & took up orders on parts from the US & some cash & then bought liquor & said the ship with the parts had sunk in a storm & then he sold the company, that was just a name, to 2 guys & after some years Hans started working for them & later one of the 2 guys dies & after some years the other guy sold the firm to Hans.

Champion V8
100 - 199 Posts

Post by Champion V8 » 17 May 2020, 08:05

Today I losend the last bolt that holds the gearbox oilpan to drill a hole & weld a nut for future draining.
& I think that that might be needed, what I saw wasn't funny at all...
To focus first on the small white flakes up/right, not the big reflections at the left:
7,16.JPG
Then the beige clay pile nin the midle:
7,17.JPG
& ofcourse, in this case, the grey metal/grafite on the magnet:
7,18.JPG
& I reckon this all piles up to future problem & I really would like to know if someone knows anything about it? (If only SilverHawkDan who knew a lot about torqflites was still here...)
I've always been picky on only using ATF+4 since it's important & this gearbox comes from the van we had & drove without a problem.

Champion V8
100 - 199 Posts

Post by Champion V8 » 18 May 2020, 14:31

Got screws for the u-joint today, but not the black had ones so I have to get that from somewhere else soon.

& I've doubted the Hurst shifters s-form so now that I'm waiting for filter & I've got this whole week to fix stuff I took it out & started looking into changing it by just turning it around & rebuild the lower/under the tunnel part but I changed my mind & thought I best start with the top & if needed I'll change the lower part later so... then I started:
00074.JPG
& at first I tried to cut it so I could make a new thread on the new top but that wouldn't work so I had to cut off that part also & weld on a screw but then I ran out of time so the rest will be tomorrow.

& by the way, when I first made the final fastening & linkage I forgot to take a photo of the final solution, but now I remember to do that:
00072.JPG
& a close-up:
00073.JPG
The plack bended part is a detail from our Cadillac hearse we had a long time ago, the family who had it before us had put backseat in it & we continued making a family car of it & that included removing things that used to be needed for hauling coffins. The alu part is from some old Triumph motorcycle. Ah, bike memories...

& as some writes:
More as it happens... ;)

Champion V8
100 - 199 Posts

Post by Champion V8 » 19 May 2020, 16:37

& today a little bit more happend!
I drove to get some small stuff + good bolts but the bolts I didn't get. :(
But I managed to fix the shifter; first the top bit, & it only get as "good" as it does get with me & my equipment, but I'm satisfied! Then I thought it might come a bit low so I welded two thick pipes where the bolts sits to raise it up & that worked fine too & then I also did what I usually do to Josephine's parts that I've been at; I painted the pivoting bended part from the Cadillac hearse red:
00075.JPG
& here it is installed:
00076.JPG
I thought the filter would come today but it didn't & that don't matter as I had enough to do anyway. I left the old filter hanging on one of the three bolts, a little losend, to drip off & today I took it down & there is a black spot opposite where the brown clay was in the pan:
7,18.JPG
But what I for sure don't understand is what the strawberry jam looking stuff is:
7,20.JPG

Champion V8
100 - 199 Posts

Post by Champion V8 » 20 May 2020, 12:53

Today the filter arrived & I got hold on bolts!
Then I looked at the "jam" again & now i saw:
7,21.JPG
...that it was pieces from the carpet that fell down in the pot while I was working on the shifter!

After I took her for a testdrive & I noticed that she shifts way earlier than I remember, I made two movies but they were really bad so I deleted them. But with the new u-joint it was less vibrations, hope the shims turns up soon, but now I also know what I've suspected for quite some time; that it's the rear tires too... That's also something that's not as cheap here as by you guys. I have a bunch laying but they're old & have to be tried first & that mean they have to be on rims. :(

Champion V8
100 - 199 Posts

Post by Champion V8 » 21 May 2020, 17:24

So today I had to work on our garden gates & poles & since Josephine is a bit in the way I drove her out form the barn & when I then walked back in I saw a red spot on the floor... So I drove her up on some wooden ramps I once made for (what ever problem I don't remember) Sonja's Caprice & looked under... & at the rear left corner that's kinda "cut" I saw some wett & that's the place I drilled a hole & welded on a "tap" made out of a nut, gasket washer & a bolt... So I got a bit "un-happy" one might put it & welded on the last hinges on the poles & painted them & the gates instead!

Then later on I drove her back in the barn & lifted her front high up on stands, at first she didn't wanna go up high & then I went to look behind her & the towhook was resting on a beam I have laying there! So lowerd her down & rolled her about 20cm/8inches forward & lifted her again & low she went up higher. I wanted to put a big jerrycan under direct instead of a pot & then pouring the oil into the can & so on.
So I slided under with tools only to discover the "tap" being dry(!) so I just tightend the bolts hard, dried of the oil & let her down again!
I got rubber gasket with this filter so if it still leaks I just glue it.

Does anyone remember that I made a quick job on the exhaust system as in having the pipes under the rear axel (cuz it's so extremely tight behind the axel)..?
Well now then, if I gonna change the wheels... or at least the tires... :cry:

Ozzian was hunting the dogs with his water rifle so they took shelter in Josephine, here Carmenzita just left but her mother Lizzie stayed:
001.JPG

Champion V8
100 - 199 Posts

Post by Champion V8 » 23 May 2020, 11:21

Story of today...
Been looking out for tires & ofcourse only second hand since I don't have any income & there's ofcourse thousands of low profile noisy-hard-ridden tires for sale since that's the only kind of tires modern cars have but some days ago there was a guy 120 km from here who sold two new(!) 70 profile for 1500skr/= about 150$ so I got a bit happy, planned to go there but since Josephine is on stands due to exhaust modification I had to wait for Sonja's car... But that was good cuz yesterday another guy put out an ad for 4 second hand good ones for 500skr/= about 50$ so ofcourse I bought them! They're on some rusty ugly 6-bolt toyota rims but that aint no big problem.
007.JPG
Lately I've felt a "bumpy" feeling from the rear & I suspected it was one tire that had let go its layers a bit & sure enough:
009.JPG
Funny, I've always used old tires if the rubber is good with deep groves & without dry cracks & now that I took the old ones off I checked their date; January 1978! Quality...
So they were brand new when I just bought my -62 Valiant! & I've used them since 2014 but I don't remember on what car I used them on before Josephine, in Holland we only had Cadillacs & therefore it must have been some MoPar before we left Sweden in 2001.
The "new" ones are only one year old. ;)

Champion V8
100 - 199 Posts

Post by Champion V8 » 23 May 2020, 16:51

Story of todays "work"...
I decided to let the pipes be short & end before the rear wheels & so I started to cut & weld only to find out that when drivers side was done I needed a bend that was sharper than the 3 I had for the passenger side. So while waiting for Monday to come I thought I'd take a look at my new shock absorbers that I bought from a Norwegian guy on the Studebaker meeting in Kungälv 2018, & so I sprayed some penetrating oil on the nuts & then it was time for me & Sonja to take a look at what we're gonna do about the gate project...

(The thing is that our & our neighbour's postboxes sits on a small bit of fence that has to be moved & Sonja spoke to the mail delivering girl & found out that the car she uses have a really bad turn radious so our plan to put the boxes on the new coming fence wouldn't work & that ment that we would have to make a new stand for the boxes on a new spot & so we did & now that's done.)

So back in the barn I loosend the driver side shock & installed a new one, then it was time for other stuff, but this is the way it loox now:
Avgas Race New Shockabs.JPG
Earlier today I also turned the bracket that holds the pivot arm for the handbrake upsidedown sothe cable sits lower & cleares the drive shaft.