Skeeter Hawk Project

THE place to document, in chronological order, ON-GOING progress/milestones of ANY high performance Studebaker project. Projects include any major/lengthy - repair/modification/resto/total rebuild OR an extensive build/development/modification of a high performance Studebaker part/system. Including as much info/many photos about/of your project is greatly appreciated! ON-GOING PROJECTS ONLY PLEASE.
63larkr1
Studebaker Racing Team Member

Re: Skeeter Hawk Project

Post by 63larkr1 » 14 Mar 2020, 09:13

Fantastic, looks like a pro built race car. Great job all around. You took the time to do it all at once. Looks lower, that will help cut the ET.
Richard
Studebaker Drag Racing You can't beat it.
The 11th annual all Studebaker Nationals Drag Race is Saturday May 25th, 2018 at 9:00 am at Brown County Dragway in Bean Blossom, Indiana. For more information contact Richard Poe

TedHarbit

Post by TedHarbit » 14 Mar 2020, 11:38

Wow Blll! You sure been busy this winter. Would have taken me at least a whole year to do all you did. Looks great. Thanks for the update. Keep us up to date on your racing. Will be at least a month before any strip are open up here.

Ted

Champion V8
200 - 399 Posts

Post by Champion V8 » 14 Mar 2020, 17:40

Oh, that's COOL! Looks way lighter also as well as roadholding might be up a notch!
In that direction I'd do some roadracing too...

stewed
200 - 399 Posts

Post by stewed » 14 Mar 2020, 21:29

What Jeff said!!!

shifter44
Over 400 Posts!

Post by shifter44 » 17 Apr 2020, 17:44

Been doing a lot of little things to the car for the last month . Today was a test to check things out before putting the nose back on .
Added a LineLock , reinforced the motor mounts , added an overflow jug after the Surge tank , had a major FUBAR with the Trans. to deal with .
It is rebuilt , and has the good stuff in there . I brought it home , installed the Eng. / trans etc , and after adding some fluid to the trans. a weeping appeared. Turned out to be the 1-2 shift Accumulator o-ring .
The shop of course did not run the trans as it was a handed back to me for installation .
It was very difficult to reach ,from the bottom side , so I ended up cutting a good sized access hole in the floor / tunnel . I still could not get the piston / cover assay to install , and the snap ring is a bear also , so finally the shop sent t guy out , and together we were able to do it . So here is a video of today .

ImageSkeeter Hawk April 17 2020 driveway run by Bill H, on Flickr

Now I've put the nose on , and It'll need a few tweaks of course .
If you can't get there in a STUDEBAKER,
it ain't worth goin' .

Bill H .

Champion V8
200 - 399 Posts

Post by Champion V8 » 18 Apr 2020, 16:04

Always cool to see your car!
Is it -56 tail lights you have? Also wonder about the oil filter; I saw it's in the same place as on MoPar engines, is that original? (I've only seen them on top up front before.)
Congrats again to a nice work on the front suspension!

63larkr1

Post by 63larkr1 » 19 Apr 2020, 22:43

Bill,
The Skeeter Hawk looks really great and light. I hope you can get it to the track soon.
Richard
Studebaker Drag Racing You can't beat it.
The 11th annual all Studebaker Nationals Drag Race is Saturday May 25th, 2018 at 9:00 am at Brown County Dragway in Bean Blossom, Indiana. For more information contact Richard Poe

shifter44
Over 400 Posts!

Post by shifter44 » 20 Apr 2020, 11:49

I'm eager to go to the track , but the Pandemic is here , so we'll see............
I can't wait to weigh it on their scales , as I am not sure if I've gained or lost weight .

That is the late model Full flow oil filter location . This is a 1963 block .
I am really not sure about the tail light lenses .
it ain't worth goin' .

Bill H .

Jeff Rice
Global Moderator

Post by Jeff Rice » 20 Apr 2020, 15:58

I'm with you...
Am bustin' butt to get my shop in order so I can go to a test & tune and put some laps down.
Maybe we should hook up and go together.
Help (hurt) each other out.

shifter44
Over 400 Posts!

Post by shifter44 » 26 Jun 2020, 11:53

Well , I haven't gotten to the track to race yet. tried to go on June 7th , but that was a rain out weekend .
Next real shot for me would be July 5th , but I will not go. This is mid summer heat Hell here in Central Florida .
I do not race at night.
Last weekend , I did go to the track on Saturday , in order to get a drag racing Fix , and to
check out the back road route that I take ( I'd heard of some construction projects nearby ) , and also to see what changes have happened at the track itself . This was a daytime event , a Quick 32 race . These are serious hard core Bracket Racers , mostly rear engined dragsters ( not all ) , and also
a bunch of Jr, Dragsters were there . About 45 Quick 32 cars , and total of about 80 cars at the track . Hope one of these links works .

https://www.flickr.com/photos/hollyhill ... ed-public/

https://flic.kr/p/2jftgB3

I stayed for about 1.5 hours and came on home .
I fire my car up , and run it up and down the driveway here at the house on about a 2 week schedule , and also keep my trailer mover (aka old Cub Cadet) on the same schedule .
So for the rest of the super heat season , I'm doing some garage renovation . Tucking all of my stuff into a very small yard , and pretty small garage
is quite a struggle on its own . Keeps an old fart going .
it ain't worth goin' .

Bill H .