Challenger Drag Racer Project

THE place to document, in chronological order, ON-GOING progress/milestones of ANY high performance Studebaker project. Projects include any major/lengthy - repair/modification/resto/total rebuild OR an extensive build/development/modification of a high performance Studebaker part/system. Including as much info/many photos about/of your project is greatly appreciated! ON-GOING PROJECTS ONLY PLEASE.
63larkr1
Studebaker Racing Team Member

Re: Challenger Drag Racer Project

Post by 63larkr1 » 12 Apr 2019, 09:55

When I did the editing on the Studebaker Nationals Drag video I missed some of the runs. This covers at lest some of the ones I missed.
Richard
PS, The Studebaker Drags are just a few weeks away on May 25th, Don't miss out! Great people with great cars show up every year.
Richard

https://youtu.be/pUrozDLP7tU
Studebaker Drag Racing You can't beat it.
The 11th annual all Studebaker Nationals Drag Race is Saturday May 25th, 2018 at 9:00 am at Brown County Dragway in Bean Blossom, Indiana. For more information contact Richard Poe

63larkr1

Post by 63larkr1 » 05 Aug 2019, 13:22

My nephew has wanted to come for a visit and take my Mean Green Challenger to the tracks so we did that at Wagler Motorsports Park. It was the weekend the Southeast Gassers Association was here and they always put on a great show. The Challenger has not been out much and I have been really having a lot of trouble getting off the line without spinning the slicks. You can see that on the first pass on this video as I smoked the slicks. You can see the smoke in the video. Second pass went better after I found the front brakes were dragging and adjusted them. It looks like a master cylinder problem not letting them release. I didn't have enough front brake after the adjustment to hold the line lock so I didn't get a good burnout. They have a long shut down so that went well. After the second pass you see here I tried to get another pass but the front brakes locked up on the pit road and the car would hardly move so I was done for the day.
Enjoy, Richard

https://youtu.be/5VdOc17DX-k
The 11th annual all Studebaker Nationals Drag Race is Saturday May 25th, 2018 at 9:00 am at Brown County Dragway in Bean Blossom, Indiana. For more information contact Richard Poe

shifter44
Over 400 Posts!

Post by shifter44 » 05 Aug 2019, 20:23

Looking good , Richard , real good .

Hope that the camera man didn't fall down......... :D .

The track announcer needs to be " educated ' as to what your engine is , for sure .
If you can't get there in a STUDEBAKER,
it ain't worth goin' .

Bill H .

63larkr1

Post by 63larkr1 » 07 Aug 2019, 11:11

Thanks Bill. My nephew took the video and he had my camera and his phone at the same time.
The track announcer should have known it was Studebaker powered it was on the tech card and the side of the car.
Richard

63larkr1

Post by 63larkr1 » 31 Oct 2019, 11:54

I'm all done with the Challenger for the year. This year started out not so good and I missed the Studebaker National Drags.
At the last trip to the track last year (2018) I took all the teeth of the 4.09 ring and pinon gears at the Martin, US131 FAST drags on the first pass so I put a set of 4.27 gears in the car. Since then I have not had as good of 60' times as last year. It spins and just will not hook.
I have made maybe 40 passes and in the last few weeks have been to Muncie twice and Brown County once, and Ohio Valley Raceway. At Muncie a few weeks ago the car ran good and made nine or ten passes 7 of them were over 118 MPH, the rest were 117. I had my second quickest ET in the 1/4 mile @11.30 and I think my fastest MPH in the 1/8 at 95.76 and the 1/4 at 118.78MPH. But my 60' times are about .04 slower and the ETs off by .100. I did have my fastest ever run at Brown County between rain drops at the Flag Drags. The race was rained out and I only made two passes between rain drops, but both my ET and MPH were great. My time slip does not show my 60' time but it hooked best at any track all year.
At Muncie last Wednesday I did go a little quicker in the 1/8 then BC but at Muncie it was spinning all the way trough first gear and the shift light was on the whole time in first so it was over 5750RPM. So I only went 30 or 40 feet and right to second. It still did a 1.56 60 foot. On the first run Wednesday night I ran a C7 Corvette Z06 and won with a 11.380 to his 11.707@131. I guess he needed more than the supercharged 650hp he had! I had a .062 RT and 1.55 60' to his .970 RT and a 2.084 60', he played catch up from there.
I did get to the track one more time. This was at Ohio Valley Raceway in Louisville, KY, it's an eight mile track all concrete and my first time there. The first pass was 7.22@95.49 with a slow 1.616 60' time, still a good run. Next pass was 7.16@95.63 and a 1.582 60'. Last pass I short shifted and slowed to 7.20@95.23 with a 1.588 60'. We had a cross wind, but the speeds and et's were real good, but not my best ever 7.10s with 1.51s 60' times. That kind of 60' times would be real close to a high 6.x second pass on my 7.16 pass.
Thanks for reading this and we hope to see you in May at the Studebaker National Drags.

Thanks
Richard