Avanti 4-link

This forum is devoted to all topics concerning high performance, Non-Studebaker powered Studebakers.
whlnut
0 - 19 Posts

Avanti 4-link

Post by whlnut » 19 Feb 2019, 16:17

Anyone here built a 4-link with coil overs for an Avanti or Lark? This will be for a street car.
I'm also looking for info on adding Wilwood front brakes.
Thanks for any help. Ed

Alan
Studebaker Racing Team Member

Re: Avanti 4-link

Post by Alan » 19 Feb 2019, 19:32

I put a Jag XKE rear in an Avanti. Don't think it was much of an improvement for the street, maybe for the canyons. Put a Ford 9" with discs in the rear, you will be happier and have a few bucks left in your pocket. You also will have more time left over to enjoy the car. As for the Willwood brakes, I am doing that on 2 Avantis, right now. When the weather improves I will put up some pics.

Jeff Rice
Global Moderator

Post by Jeff Rice » 20 Feb 2019, 08:16

Are you prepared to cut the floor?
Four links are 'usually' a max performance item.
But most people, once they 'dial it in' rarely ever touch the adjustments.
Sure, real racers do, when they run into various track conditions...
But on a street car? Not so much.
Reason for the floor comment.. To truly get the most out of a 4 link, you have to scale all four corners of the car, and choose the 'instant center' of the car. On a street car, that will be somewhere above the camshaft centerline just behind the distributor.
Then you locate your bars so the imaginary intersection point (a continuation of the bar line) crosses just above or below the instant center. Then, your bar location is set by whether the car squats or rises.
The lower bars determine the wheelbase. The upper bars determine the pinion angle.
The preload is only done on the top right bar, and that adjustment is very small. More than two flats of turn means you need a hole adjustment.
Hokay.......... Having said that ... You need a diagonal strut of some kind to keep the diff centered.
Now, If it is just a street car, and unequal length diagonal 4 link is a lot easier.
There is no adjustment to that, except for the initial pinion set and wheelbase set.
That would probably be a lot easier on an Avanti. Build your bar crosmember(s) and tabs on the diff, and weld it all in.
Tim McAmis has an excellent video series on setting up and adjusting a 4 link.....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lw4p8L5Dvls

Mike Van Veghten

Post by Mike Van Veghten » 20 Feb 2019, 11:34

As copied from my answer on the drivers site -

Ed -

ALL the Stude spindles are the same (VERY similar), so you can do exactly what I did for front brakes.
https://public.fotki.com/-Mike-/my_studebakers/
See photos 10 thru 16 to put Wilwood brakes on my 54 Conestoga.

As for the four link / coil over setup...why ? Really, why ? Are you going drag racing ? It's NOT a good suspension for normal street driving.
If you look at the pictures of the coil over setup that I did on the same set of pictures, you can sort of see what I did. I welded the stock cross member to the frame rails. The made a closeout plate for the bottom and welded it to the frame and the cross member.
The ONLY reason I put the coil over shocks/springs on it because of using the Chevy truck arms to install the Quick Change axle.
Then you know that you'll need some sort of centering device to keep the axle under the car.

Unless I was installing a four link for "RACING" purposes, I'd never use a chassis setup like that for the street. I'd also not use coil over shocks on a pure street car.

Here's my "Drag Racer" that I did (retirement project) maybe what you are talking about. While still street legal it's a drag race/Solo 1-2 car, not a regular street car.
https://public.fotki.com/-Mike-/60_lark/

Unless you are going racing, I'd leave the leaf springs on. You are barking up a tree that doesn't have very many branches for you to lean on. You'll need to build your own branches. And forgive me...but since you asked the question here vs. just doing the work, this might be a tree left alone for now.

Mike

P.s - You can go a more simple method for Wilwood front brakes, Buy the "Hot Rods and Brakes" caliper bracket kit that uses the big GM cast iron caliper. Wilwood makes an aluminum replacement caliper that is much lighter than the GM copy, but uses the same large pads that can be bought at most "any parts house".
https://hotrodsandbrakes.com/

whlnut
0 - 19 Posts

Post by whlnut » 17 Mar 2019, 02:39

Thanks for the replies. I have decided to stick with leaf springs and a 9". The reason I considered a 4-link was mostly for adjusting ride height and more room for wider wheels and tires. Thanks to Mike for steering me straight.
I know about the Hot Rods & Brakes front bracket and Wilwood calipers. The problem is that the calipers are 2-piston with 11" rotors and all I can find from Wilwood for the 9" are 4-piston and 12" rotors, or 2-piston and 11" rotors. I would like bigger rotors and 4 piston in front, so I was hoping someone had found a way to mount bigger front Wilwood brakes.

PackardV8

Post by PackardV8 » 17 Mar 2019, 11:13

It's just time and money. FWIW, we made brackets to mount the Wilwood 6-piston GN calipers on my project Hawk.

An SDC member came up with a kit to mount the big Mustang Cobra discs and calipers on the Stude spindle, but he's not been around lately. His handle is "sbca96" and here's a link http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.com/ ... aliper+kit

jack vines

Mike Van Veghten

Post by Mike Van Veghten » 17 Mar 2019, 12:24

Look deeper. I've got Wilwood parts on a 9", 11 rotor with 4 piston calipers. If you'll notice, most all of Wilwoods calipers have various pistons diameters per caliper. So, you can run larger pistons calipers in the front, and smaller pistons in the back...and visually, the caliper is the same, just have different clamping characteristics.

In the front, it's actually fairly simple to build your own spindle bracket to use most any caliper. I built mine for more standard size, Wilwood four piston Dynalite caliper. You can always go larger if you really want.
See pictures 10 thru 15 here - https://public.fotki.com/-Mike-/my_studebakers/

Let your mind wander, then get out the hack saw and file..!

Mike