Twin Turbo 289 Lark for Street and Track Project

THE place to document, in chronological order, ON-GOING progress/milestones of ANY high performance Studebaker project. Projects include any major/lengthy - repair/modification/resto/total rebuild OR an extensive build/development/modification of a high performance Studebaker part/system. Including as much info/many photos about/of your project is greatly appreciated! ON-GOING PROJECTS ONLY PLEASE.
lcrken
0 - 19 Posts

Twin Turbo 289 Lark for Street and Track Project

Post by lcrken » 03 Mar 2019, 19:17

I've already posted some info on this project in the Studebaker Powered Performance section, here

https://www.racingstudebakers.com/foo/v ... f=1&t=3494

We've got a lot of good info from that post, but now that the project is actually in motion, I think I should move the discussion here to the projects area.

To summarize, I've just started a project with my grandson to build a twin turbo Lark for street use and occasional track days at the local road race tracks. It's based on a '56 or '57 289 engine, bored +.0625, with Wiseco pistons and stock rods. We plan to use a moderate cam, an R2 grind or something similar, cleaned up stock heads with R3 intakes, 7.0 to 7.5 CR, stock iron 4 barrel manifold, and twin turbos in blow-thru configuration at 15 psi or so. Still deciding on transmission, probably Tremec TKO 5-speed. The car is a '59 Lark 2-door body on a '69 Buick Skylark chassis, currently with a 400 ci Pontiac GTO engine and TH400 transmission. My friend gave it to us for this project, because he is planning to pull the engine and use it in another project. I've attacked some pictures of the car.
Right Front 1200.jpg
Engine 1200.jpg
Right Front 1200.jpg
We are in the process of building the engine. In the meantime, we have a full Wilwood brake setup to install (my grandson works at Wilwood), and need to have some custom wheels made. It currently has 15x7 Cadillac wheels with a lot of backspacing, and they barely fit. We are looking at 17" steel wheels, 7" in from and 8 " in back. I'm pretty sure from preliminary measurements that we will have to do at least some work on the fenders for clearance, but I want to keep it as small as possible, so we need some wheels made with a custom backspace to take advantage of what room we have.

We also plan to fit a full cage and install a pair of racing seats.

Plenty to keep us busy for a while.

Ken
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PackardV8
Studebaker Racing Team Member

Re: Twin Turbo 289 Lark for Street and Track Project

Post by PackardV8 » 03 Mar 2019, 21:56

Appears to be a sound basis for a project. Your idea, your money, your build, but FWIW, turbos and automatic trannys are made for each other. The turbos really appreciate the automatic's ability to shift at WOT.

Your pistons and rods will be on the way back to you Monday.
jack vines

lcrken
0 - 19 Posts

Re: Twin Turbo 289 Lark for Street and Track Project

Post by lcrken » 05 Mar 2019, 14:13

True, but unless we swapped in a very modern automatic, it would not work as well on a road race track as a manual, and that's one of our criteria. I haven't looked at what it would take to fit something like a modern DCT 10-speed ECU-controlled transmission to a Studebaker V8, but I'm pretty sure it would be a lot more complex. Maybe in the next iteration.

Ken