Lionel Stone R2 water manifold

This forum is devoted to all topics concerning high performance, Studebaker powered vehicles.
Bill Van Alstyne
100 - 199 Posts

Lionel Stone R2 water manifold

Post by Bill Van Alstyne » 12 Mar 2019, 21:07

I posted on the SDC forum the other day and the response was minimal so I hope for more info here. I have a Lionel Stone aluminum water manifold for an R2 Hawk/Lark. It was supposedly reworked by Nimesh Solanki sometime in the past and there is evidence of that rework. My issue is that the Stude water pump does not "reach" into the manifold enough for the impeller to have the proper clearance to function correctly. By doing some non exact measurements I think the impeller needs to be an additional .340 deeper to get close to the proper dimension at the "flow" area of the manifold. I've done some checking on the web and found a few impeller suppliers and I see some Chrysler and Ford impellers that might be useable with some mod's. Does anyone have experience or knowledge of what I'm trying to accomplish? Thanks for any help you may have, Bill.

Alan
Studebaker Racing Team Member

Re: Lionel Stone R2 water manifold

Post by Alan » 12 Mar 2019, 22:04

You need another new shaft and bearing. The lengths of the shaft are made long for different cars. Your Stude shaft and bearing have been cut to length. You can then press on the impeller to the length you need and try it. It is hard to do or figure out what to do, without the parts in hand.

Bill Van Alstyne
100 - 199 Posts

Post by Bill Van Alstyne » 13 Mar 2019, 14:07

If I get a longer shaft and press the Stude impeller on to get the fins in the right location, will that then open up the "fit" of the impeller at the pump "face"? I don't know if that is a critical dimension also. In looking at other makes impellers, most are stamped steel vs. cast, my thought is to modify one of those by welding on additional material where needed and cleaning it up so that it will be "balanced'. Any other ideas out there?

LarkR2Clone
0 - 19 Posts

Post by LarkR2Clone » 22 Mar 2019, 22:30

my car with that water manifold is doing the same. I just took my pump and manifold to a water pump shop and he fitted it with a John Deere impeller that puts it the right place. He is calling his supplier to get me the part number of the impeller for any one who would like to get one.

Jeff Rice
Global Moderator

Post by Jeff Rice » 23 Mar 2019, 07:46

Don't you just love the real 'old school' shops that could figure stuff out and make it work?
IMOHO it is the computers that have ruined the world of everyday living.
CAD CAM JIT... P'shaw!
And to concur... I had an 'old school' water pump shop in Chicago put some kind of old Ford water pump shaft/bearing package in my old Allis Chalmers Model B 4 cyl engine a long time ago. I had taken the badly leaking water pump in. He looked at it, and told me what he was going to do, saying I'd never have to ever change it again...
That was 35 years ago.. (Knock on wood :) )

Bill Van Alstyne
100 - 199 Posts

Post by Bill Van Alstyne » 23 Mar 2019, 09:18

I was going to wait to respond with what I've done but I saw this this morning and figured I'd do it now. I got in contact with a water pump parts supplier in California and looked at their list of impellers, and picked out several that I might be able to modify to work. I ordered 2 each of 4 different part #'s and just got them Wednesday. I haven't started to work on them but will this coming week. I'll let you know how I do when I'm done. Thanks for the comments and the John Deere part#. Bill

Alan

Post by Alan » 23 Mar 2019, 12:12

L2C, Put the JD P/N up here, I am all eyes and ears.

LarkR2Clone
0 - 19 Posts

Post by LarkR2Clone » 28 Mar 2019, 21:06

Ok so what i have is a impeller for a John Deere 2640 Diesel. The part number of the J.D. water pump is R59049. The part number for the Impeller is 270-2 at the shop here in South Bend. Cost here is $15.00 for the impeller.
James Maxey III
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Mike Van Veghten

Post by Mike Van Veghten » 29 Mar 2019, 01:59

Ummm...correct me if I'm wrong...but you have a GIANT leak between every vane in the center of the impeller..!? Cavitation city.
Pull it back off and attach an aluminum, steel, whatever disc on the back side to seal it.

Right now, I don't know what the John Deere pump housing looks like, but this seems to have some, "over heating" written all over it me thinks.

Mike

Alan

Post by Alan » 29 Mar 2019, 11:47

Mike, That is Bake a light plastic. A paper, plastic composite. One time use. Every one I have tried to remove will just break.

Bill Van Alstyne
100 - 199 Posts

Post by Bill Van Alstyne » 29 Mar 2019, 20:19

OK, Jim's pic shows exactly what I was referring to above. There is a large "gap" between the backside of the impeller and the "face" of the pump housing. That will have a large area that water is not being "pumped". So I am going to try to modify one of the impellers I got to fit both ends of the impeller to the pump face and the manifold. More to follow in the coming days as I "play" with my impellers. Bill