EFI timing control

This forum is devoted to all topics concerning high performance, Studebaker powered vehicles.
bezhawk
60 - 99 Posts

EFI timing control

Post by bezhawk » 07 Jun 2019, 20:12

EFI controlled timing.
So, I just finished up putting a Holley Sniper on a customers car. I like it. Here's the next step. So I got a Pertronix Distributor from Dave Thiebault. I locked out the advance, and also the vacuum advance. I'm using it to trigger an MDS 6al box. The sniper can supposedly take the distributor signal, and then trigger the MSD for the appropriate timing.

Has anyone tried this?
CS6P1906.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Bill Van Alstyne
100 - 199 Posts

Re: EFI timing control

Post by Bill Van Alstyne » 07 Jun 2019, 20:53

Please keep us up to speed on how it works, many of us would be interested. Thanks Brad, Bill.

PackardV8
Studebaker Racing Team Member

Post by PackardV8 » 08 Jun 2019, 10:32

Thanks for sharing the project.

FWIW, it's easy and inexpensive to begin with any OEM Studebaker Prestolite distributor, remove the centrifugal and vacuum advance and install a Mopar trigger. Last one I did cost $21.

jack vines

Mike Van Veghten

Post by Mike Van Veghten » 08 Jun 2019, 10:36

Yea, it seems many don't understand how these ignition controls work.
I mentioned that I had built my own crank triggered ignition. Some comments that I got back were that my mileage and some performance would suffer because I've now lost both my mechanical and vacuum advance.
Ah...but they just don't understand how it actually does work..!

What they don't seem to understand, is that if done properly, the mechanical advance should be "all in", just past idle speed anyway. So that's an easy bit of mapping.
The vacuum advance will differ between "ported" and "full"...and the "engine load" in both configurations. Well, with some work, much of that actually "CAN" be designed into the timing mapping. It takes a little work, but IS mostly doable. I've got a far amount of time and learning how to map both the fuel AND ignition timing on modern motorcycles. Pretty much the same way of tuning. It's just a hex a decimal mapping...change and alter as much as you like. RPM vs. throttle position.

In the future, I plan on a Holley Terminator system for my hot rod 54 wagon with all the big head work, roller cam and drive, crank driven ignition, etc., etc.

Have fun with your new toy.

Mike

bezhawk
60 - 99 Posts

Post by bezhawk » 08 Jun 2019, 13:12

The main reason to use the non Prestolite distributor is: The rotor can be phased with an MSD unit so it is at optimum for the timing event. Holley wants the reluctor, and the inductor lined up when the rotor is in phase with firing. An adjustable rotor helps that happen. Some say just turn the distributor body to line up the rotor, but that doesn't take into account the pickup coil alignment.
I guess I could have used a Delco Window type, but new is easier.

Mike Van Veghten

Post by Mike Van Veghten » 08 Jun 2019, 15:14

Yea, should be no problem with the GM style distributor.
I used the Stude/Delco distributor (with the guts removed and the mechanical advance welded) with the MSD adjustable rotor in my assembly.
I just bought a cheap GM cap, cut a big hole in the top so I could set the rotor phasing.

Mike