evans single plane aluminum intake manifold?

This forum is devoted to all topics concerning high performance, Studebaker powered vehicles.
Buffalobill
20 - 59 Posts

evans single plane aluminum intake manifold?

Post by Buffalobill » 29 Aug 2019, 10:29

did a search, didn't see much, maybe I missed it. whats the consensus on the single plane high rise evans intake? is it good?

Mike Van Veghten
Studebaker Racing Team Member

Re: Evans single plane aluminum intake manifold?

Post by Mike Van Veghten » 29 Aug 2019, 16:06

My take...
To a point, the design is acceptable. The plenum design is fine for most applications, but for the very higher powered engines. The runners, pretty much the same. My experience has them done plenty acceptable.

The problem is, the runner exit. It DOES NOT, match the Stude cylinder head. It is the same as a Chevy, Ford, Chrysler head. That is, the port exits the manifold at a 90° at the gasket surface. NOT the same as a Studebaker head. As I recall the Stude port is about 23° to the gasket surface (will verify the angle later).
So, this means that the air/fuel mixture must make a sharp turn when transitioning from the manifold to the head. It's not even a radii at the turn, but a hard corner turn.

The overall port/manifold flow probably isn't too bad, until the manifold to head transition. If it's going on an engine with an R2/R2+ cam, it'll be mostly fine until the rpm gets, my guess, about 4000/4500 or so rpm. Then because of the change, overall flow will not continue as it would normally with a smooth flowing port. It may even start to drop off before that, but I doubt it would be very noticeable.

If you are still interested in buying an Evans manifold, we can make a deal on mine if you like. Never used or mounted, never had a fastener in the attachment holes. Not ground on or polished.

Mike

Buffalobill
20 - 59 Posts

Re: evans single plane aluminum intake manifold?

Post by Buffalobill » 29 Aug 2019, 18:14

well i got one already, lol, that's why I was asking...... i was going to switch between the stock 2 bbl intake and the evans intake, depending on what i was doing with the car. i have a predator to put on the single plane evans, btw. i figure if nothing else, itll look cool. i don't think ill be able to run a hood with the evans/predator combo.....

Mike Van Veghten
Studebaker Racing Team Member

Re: Evans single plane aluminum intake manifold?

Post by Mike Van Veghten » 29 Aug 2019, 20:09

An actual square, Predator carburetor ?
I ran one on my ol 61 Impala with a 421", 409 in it. Mine was an early model with no idle circuits. Even at that, I ran it on the street (and some track) for about two years, before returning to an old fashioned 800cfm Holley.

Mike

shifter44
Over 400 Posts!

Post by shifter44 » 30 Aug 2019, 07:18

I have run the Evans on the track. I think that it is slightly better than a stock based intake , and much lighter anyway.
My car is currently down for some mods , but this link to my thread shows the results so far .
I did end up using a Wilson 1.5" tapered spacer . I did do a little radius-ing etc on the runners .
I have a large scoop on the car , so no height problems .

http://racingstudebakers.com/foo/viewto ... &start=165
If you can't get there in a STUDEBAKER,
it ain't worth goin' .

Bill H .

Buffalobill
20 - 59 Posts

Post by Buffalobill » 30 Aug 2019, 22:00

yep, a giant aluminum box, nothing looking cooler than a predator except mechanical fuel injection!