R3 Box

This forum is devoted to all topics concerning high performance, Studebaker powered vehicles.
jackg
0 - 19 Posts

R3 Box

Post by jackg » 25 Sep 2019, 18:07

I have a 4 barrel intake and am in the process of installing an R3 air box on it... holes don't match exactly. Is this going to be a problem from a performance point of view. If I can get the attachments to download ( :-) ) one picture shows the correct R3 gasket on the 4 barrel intake, showing the misalignment of the holes and the other picture shows the same gasket on the R3 airbox showing correct alignment of the holes. I would take it to a machine shop and get new holes bored if its necessary, just unsure.

R5 Lark
Studebaker Racing Team Member

Re: R3 Box

Post by R5 Lark » 25 Sep 2019, 19:22

You must have a WCFB intake manifold instead of the wider base AFB. As long as the base has room for the machine work. Make sure the width of the base will seal the wider afb carb. And the throttle blades are larger so the 4 holes on the WCFB intake have to be opened. See Jeff Rice for his intake mod solution.

jackg
0 - 19 Posts

Re: R3 Box

Post by jackg » 26 Sep 2019, 11:46

R5 Lark, thanks for the reply, I've done a quick search on Jeff Rice. Although I found a lot of good information on him and his work, I haven't found the info on the mod solution you referred to, do you have a link I could follow for that?

IIRC, The R3 airbox had the AFB narrow bolt spacing. (But it could be drilled for both.
The Studebaker 'late' intake manifold ('63/64) also had a wider casting that could have the wider bolt pattern, or have that added.
Sometimes they have both patterns, but I think someone had that done.

Some of the early AFB's only had the 'narrow' mount holes in them.