Potvin Supercharger Build

THE place to document, in chronological order, ON-GOING progress/milestones of ANY high performance Studebaker project. Projects include any major/lengthy - repair/modification/resto/total rebuild OR an extensive build/development/modification of a high performance Studebaker part/system. Including as much info/many photos about/of your project is greatly appreciated! ON-GOING PROJECTS ONLY PLEASE.
3x2stude
Studebaker Racing Team Member

Potvin Supercharger Build

Post by 3x2stude » 14 Jan 2020, 21:47

I know I have several other projects on this site that are not done but I got hooked on the old school "Potvin" supercharger and I started another project. I plan to do it with a 471 GMC blower. The adapter housing in the photos is a theoretical mock up. 3D modeling has been started for the real housing. Once it is modeled I will need to determine if it is cost effective to have it machined from billet or do a weldment and then machine. The mock up allows me to build the inlet and outlet plumbing ahead of the adapter. The outlet side of the blower will need drilled and tapped for the needed plumbing. The base side is usually "carved off" so you will not see it in current internet photos. I bought every '56 - '61 Car Craft and Hot Rod that mentioned the Potvin supercharger and they made it pretty clear how it was done. If you are not familiar with the Potvin style blower just google it. More to follow.

JK
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Mike Van Veghten

Re: Potvin Supercharger Build

Post by Mike Van Veghten » 15 Jan 2020, 02:01

The Studebaker museum will have to clean up a corner somewhere to show off all of your projects.

Mike

PackardV8

Post by PackardV8 » 15 Jan 2020, 11:18

Why does the drive adapter need to be longer than the SBC unit?

jack vines

3x2stude

Post by 3x2stude » 15 Jan 2020, 12:25

Jack,

Good question. I only guessed at 5.00" for now. The crank sticks out 3.00" past the gear cover, half of the chain coupler will be beyond that and the blower gears stick out of the case about an inch. I may be short for all I know. The mock up can be shortened but I should be fine for what it's purpose is, fitting up the intake side. If I do all the intake tubes traditionally I can adjust the length with the horizontal tube. Once I get the chain coupler from Moon then I can do the math and finish the 3D model. Until it arrives I am on hold with the adapter so hence the mock up to keep moving forward. I attached an early hemi Potvin adapter and its fairly long.

JK
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

3x2stude

Post by 3x2stude » 15 Jan 2020, 13:13

Anybody out there have an outlet box for 671 or a 471 on a Potvin? I would buy but I would also be happy with just some dimensions.

JK

PackardV8

Post by PackardV8 » 15 Jan 2020, 13:50

If you want everything period-correct, then you've got to use that very large, very heavy, very inefficient GMC.

If one just wants the look of a front mounted supercharger in a much lighter, much more efficient and to my eye, better looking unit, any of the several more recent Eaton/Magnusson TVS high helix superchargers are an option.

jack vines

Mike Van Veghten

Post by Mike Van Veghten » 15 Jan 2020, 17:33

I was going to ask about the "long" drive tubes too, but figured it's easier to shorten them than to add to them.
One one hand, I understand Jacks reasoning, but no...an old engine, and an old drive assembly, needs to be an old 6-71 (OR...4-71!) blower.

Mike

3x2stude

Post by 3x2stude » 15 Jan 2020, 20:49

Jack,

I know there are better choices if I want "efficiency" but that is not the goal here so lets not steer this thread that direction.

JK