So, I got this old drag car...

This forum is devoted to all topics concerning high performance, Studebaker powered vehicles.
gordr
0 - 19 Posts

So, I got this old drag car...

Post by gordr » 10 Feb 2020, 00:54

[img]Howdy, performance fans! Most of you know me, I think. I use the same nic at the SDC Forum.A couple of years ago, when they held the big dispersal sale for Chuck Naugle's estate near Tucson, I bought a couple of parts vehicles. One was a Zip van, which I have since hauled home to Alberta. The other was this old drag racer, a '51 "Commander" 2-door sedan. I put quotes around Commander because it seems pretty clear that this is a Champion body and frame, fitted with a Commander drive train, including rear axle. Engine appears to be a '53 or '54 232, with a "backdraft" carb on it. It turns over on the starter, and develops oil pressure, but won't run because a valve went through the top of #1 piston. It has a T86 OD transmission with floor shift, and the rear axle is fitted with home-made traction bars that run to the rear, and anchor on a metal bar behind the rear bumper. It had a driver's name on the door, mostly illegible, and the class: C/Stock. Team name read, possibly: BoJo Racing Team. There is a large block-letter sign on the LF fender, that reads: "120 Horsepower", and some small lettering that proclaims the car to be "another little Chicken Hawk", or words to that effect.

Does anyone here recognize the car by this description, or maybe have photos of it at a track? I don't think it was ever one of Ted Harbit's cars, but it seems like it may have been a tribute by a fan. I will attach a picture of the car as it was when I first saw it at Chuck's place. I am kind of surprised that somebody else never snagged the car at the sale, since it has a real straight rust-free body, and the windshield is intact, too.

shifter44
Over 400 Posts!

Re: So, I got this old drag car...

Post by shifter44 » 10 Feb 2020, 07:42

The image is not showing up . There is a little bracketed area with Img in it only . Please try again , I'd like to see the car .
If you can't get there in a STUDEBAKER,
it ain't worth goin' .

Bill H .

gordr
0 - 19 Posts

Post by gordr » 10 Feb 2020, 12:46

I tried to post an image, but I don't seem to have image upload available to me as an option. Reduced image size, tried to upload again, get "image file invalid".

gordr
0 - 19 Posts

Post by gordr » 10 Feb 2020, 14:29

Trying again.
dragcar1.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

TedHarbit
Studebaker Racing Team Member

Post by TedHarbit » 10 Feb 2020, 16:08

i don't know anything about this one. It's a 2 door sedan instead of a Starlight Coupe. And the other one is a '50 model.
Ted

gordr
0 - 19 Posts

Post by gordr » 11 Feb 2020, 00:00

Thank you, Ted. I didn't think it was one of yours, but it seems the builder was a fan. The '50 car is is just there because it was nearby.
I found the notes I made of the text on the front fender and door. It was pretty weathered, so what I copied down is a best guess:

Front fender: "232", "120 HP", "Mini-Monster, a Little Chicken Hawk" (over the fender vent)
Driver's door: "C/STOCK 777" "James O'Malley" "BoJo Racing Team"

Maybe some of this will ring a bell with a reader here.