I've found a...hard head..!

This forum is devoted to all topics concerning high performance, Studebaker powered vehicles.
Mike Van Veghten
Studebaker Racing Team Member

I've found a...hard head..!

Post by Mike Van Veghten » 15 Feb 2020, 18:39

I don't know how many heads I've worked on since about 1999 (shortly after my first Studebaker purchase), but I've never run across the inimitable..."hard" iron in the cylinder heads that many talk about.

A set I'm working on right now, seems to be, or partially anyway. It only seems to be on the exhaust side of the heads. I've run into heads that have had hard "spots", or small areas in them. Many have a hard rocker cover rail on the exhaust side, but this is the first pair that about half of the head (exhaust side) is harder than the intake port side. All four walls of all of the exhaust ports seem much harder than the combustion chamber surfaces.
The combustion chambers are as normal, or softer than the hard side of the head. I haven't done much to the intake side yet, but so far, it's also...more normal hardness. I'll grind a little on the outside of the head to see what happens.

Halfway to a...hard head..!
Yea, yea, have fun with the jokes..!!

Mike

Jeff Rice
Global Moderator

Re: I've found a...hard head..!

Post by Jeff Rice » 16 Feb 2020, 06:48

I feel your pain.
Hard spots in some strange places, yes. Some heads as a whole take longer and act tougher.
Some heads are just tough.

How many heads are you up to now?

Mike Van Veghten

Post by Mike Van Veghten » 17 Feb 2020, 01:58

Like my above note says, don't know.
Beside the three heads that I just reshaped (experimented on) the intake ports and had each one flowed to learn what was possible, what the port liked, I've done from just cleanup work (customer didn't want to spend much money !!) to full, as much as I know, type of work.

As I write this, if I had to guess...I'd say...maybe around ten to twelve, maybe another couple, it's been a while for other people. Plus the twelve ports that I was experimenting on. On two of those twelve ports, I did other work, so that actually makes fourteen experimental only port work.
Added up, that makes...about...twenty six heads, (twelve full, paid for sets of heads, and 14 experimental intake ports only).

Interesting thing too about the above, current set of heads, the hardness does not come from high nickel content. In one evening (no rain, no high humidity) , all of the fresh surfaces have surface rust already. That would not happen with a high nickel content.

I'll start the intake side tomorrow, we'll see what happens, cutter sound wise.

Mike

Jeff Rice
Global Moderator

Post by Jeff Rice » 17 Feb 2020, 07:39

Interesting.
I don't think the Iron mix Stude used had anything expensive in it (nickel, the 2nd most abundant metal on/in the earth).
I have to spray every head to prevent surface rust from storage. :idea:

CRC 03262 SP350 (Net Weight: 11 oz.) 16oz Corrosion Inhibitor Aerosol Spray

Mike Van Veghten

Post by Mike Van Veghten » 17 Feb 2020, 11:23

Normally I just use WD-40. Seems to work fine, but over a short period of time, turns yellow.
Most heads that I've done for others, aren't here long enough to turn red. Don't know why these turned so quickly.
I guess when I polish the exhaust and finish the intake ports, a quick dose of WD-40 they'll get.

Does the CRC turn color after a week or two ? Or does the surface stay more of a silver color ?

Mike

Jeff Rice
Global Moderator

Post by Jeff Rice » 17 Feb 2020, 11:43

CRC stays clear. Some heads stored for a long time have not rusted at all.

Mike Van Veghten

Post by Mike Van Veghten » 18 Feb 2020, 11:51

Interesting, thanks.

Mike