Frame Reinforcement

This forum is devoted to all topics concerning high performance, Non-Studebaker powered Studebakers.
Swifster
60 - 99 Posts

Frame Reinforcement

Post by Swifster » 10 May 2020, 20:02

I'm heading to VA next week to pick up a Daytona frame. I'm going to be putting around 500HP between the frame rails. HAs anyone stiffened or reinforced their frame to take this much power without twisting or cracking the frame? If so, how was this accomplished?
Tom
Sterling Heights, MI

1964 Studebaker Daytona - Laguna Blue, 289 4V, 4-Speed, Power Steering, Disc Brakes, Bucket Seats, Tinted Glass, Climatizer Ventilation System, AM Radio (136,989 Miles)

Cost To Date: $2125.60

Mike Van Veghten
Studebaker Racing Team Member

Re: Frame Reinforcement

Post by Mike Van Veghten » 11 May 2020, 10:32

I put a full roll cage in my 60 Lark. That car will sit firm on three jack stands now, without sagging more than a couple of thousands. A stock frame can be measured with a yard stick supported the same way.

I doubt much else will last very long. Any kind of doubler will just be a patch over the original material. Once the original material cracks / breaks, all that work will be lost.

Maybe...removing the flat panel under the "hat" section of the original rail, and fully welding on thicker material might help some. Also the "fully" weld will also help over the spot weld of the original assembly. The closed "hat" section frame can be strong, it just starts with a too thin material to begin with.

Mmm...rethinking...if you plan on utilizing all of that 500hp, I think I'd go for the cage. BOTH for the cars health...AND yours..!

Yea...a little history lesson. I remember a friend buying his dads 66 Chevelle, 396, back in the early 70's. He upped the power with a nice 427. He put on a pair of good tires on the back...and proceeded breaking body welds. The panel between the trunk lid and back window was the worst. The body panels tore open on the drivers side and started splitting on the passenger side. As I recall, two or three of the rear control arm mount welds started cracking too.

Mike

Swifster
60 - 99 Posts

Post by Swifster » 12 May 2020, 01:52

I was hoping this was going to be a little easier. A few gussets here, a few gussets there. For the most part, the car is going to be a cruiser. But there'll be other days, as few as they are, I'm going to want to use all the ponys. I have a couple of ideas to brace the frame similar to a convertible or a wagon. I don't really want to run a full cage, but was thinking of running a roll bar and rear bracing. I was hoping someone had already been down this road. Isn't there an area around the front crossmember that's susceptible to cracks and tears? :mrgreen:
Tom
Sterling Heights, MI

1964 Studebaker Daytona - Laguna Blue, 289 4V, 4-Speed, Power Steering, Disc Brakes, Bucket Seats, Tinted Glass, Climatizer Ventilation System, AM Radio (136,989 Miles)

Cost To Date: $2125.60

Mike Van Veghten
Studebaker Racing Team Member

Post by Mike Van Veghten » 12 May 2020, 02:04

Lotsa high powered Studebakers out there...MOST have aftermarket frames..!
Where would these gussets go? The only place that JUST a gusset may help is around the motor mount area, the cross member to frame rail welds. There's nothing" in the wagons that aren't in any other car, I know, I have a "few". The convertibles have the big "X"-member. That may give you a few more miles before damage starts. Don't count on a lifetime, or even close.

The longer you stay out of the throttle, the longer the OEM chassis will last.

Pretty hard to phyt physics..!

Mike