Studebaker R-4 Clone

This forum is devoted to all topics concerning high performance, Studebaker powered vehicles.
buzzard
0 - 19 Posts

Studebaker R-4 Clone

Post by buzzard » 13 Jul 2020, 12:58

Hi Everyone,
This post may be a little premature but I believe in planning ahead.
Circa 1971 I built an R-4 Clone for my '63 GT Hawk. Here are some of the major components I used:
Jahns Forged 12.5 : 1 Pistons with chrome rings.
Racer Brown cam custom ground from an Avanti 288 Camshaft. (.012 & .014 valve settings).
Exceptionally modified Cylinder heads using Ford 406 cid valves lightened and tuliped(they almost touched).
Major porting, relieving and polishing of heads.
Iskenderian Valve springs, retainers etc. likely intended for a Chev 302 Z28.
All oil return holes relieved and smoothed.
Complete balancing and blue printing.
Entire internal engine painted with Glyptal to assist oil drain back.
Stu-V Dual Quad Aluminum Intake Manifold for standard head ports (not R-3, R-4 size).
Correct Part Number Carter Carbs (From memory 3810 & 3811S).
Correct AC part number dual quad aluminum air cleaner.(Same as dual quad Corvette I believe).
I am currently in the process of assembling a Jack Vines 308 CID using modern technology such as full floating wrist pins, ultra thin rings with short skirt pistons, pump gas capable 10:1 compression, another custom Racer Brown camshaft etc.
I am writing this in order to get some feedback and suggestions as what to do with my original R-4 clone motor which is no longer streetable with the ultra high compression ratio. There cannot be many miles on it, I suspect well under 10,000.
All suggestions are greatly appreciated as it would make a terrific drag race motor in a lighter car.
Thanks in advance,
Bill

PackardV8
Studebaker Racing Team Member

Re: Studebaker R-4 Clone

Post by PackardV8 » 13 Jul 2020, 16:40

Agree, Bill; since it's complete and running, it needs a race-car home.

Failing that, It wouldn't be prohibitively expensive to disassemble, machine a bit off the domes of the pistons, use thick head gaskets and get the compression down toward 10:1.

jack vines

laughinlark

Post by laughinlark » 28 Jul 2020, 22:41

If times weren't so crazy for me, it would be a great fit in my 60's front engine dragster!

Gordon

63larkr1

Post by 63larkr1 » 29 Jul 2020, 12:01

Bill,
I forget what you said the 1/4 mile times it ran? I think you only had it on track once? Have you thought about making it run on E-85? It could easily handle the compression.
Richard
Studebaker Drag Racing You can't beat it.
The 11th annual all Studebaker Nationals Drag Race is Saturday May 25th, 2018 at 9:00 am at Brown County Dragway in Bean Blossom, Indiana. For more information contact Richard Poe

buzzard
0 - 19 Posts

Post by buzzard » 03 Aug 2020, 19:14

E85 is about as scarce in BC I may as well get AV Gas at a local airport.I know you are in the middle of the corn belt but then I am back to my original dilemma with The R4's compression. It is no fun mixing fuel when you want to run it.The last batch of heavy Moroso + additives ate the fuel system creating a toxic mess and leaking blood from my pals' sinuses. Since we made our retirement move from Greater Vancouver to the hinterlands we also left behind Mission Raceway NHRA track which had been only one hour away. I wish we had Brown County close like you but alas there is no track close. The track which I last ran the GT at has now closed and would have been the closest to our current residence(about 3 hours). This is the reason for this latest Jack V 308 is to be able to use pump premium.
If I remember correctly I ran a 14.6 @ 96 mph. That was with one rear wheel seized (from sitting so long) and dragged to the starting line not freeing up until I was quite a distance down the track. I came on so hard at half way I beat the Fairlane which was in my windshield at half track. I was accused of "sandbagging". I will be using my loose (Pinto 10") converter and of course my heavily modified FOM powershift with Transgo FMX guts. I get a good 3000 rpm launch with 3:73's.
The last video of you beating the daylights out of your gasser was super impressive. I should have kept Art Unger's 2 dr post Lark which was intended to be my race car. However timing was just not right.
You & Rose keep well in these difficult times.
Bill & Sonja

63larkr1

Post by 63larkr1 » 04 Aug 2020, 10:44

Bill & Sonja
Thanks, I built the Challenger to have fun so I let it do what it was built to do. As you my have notice the little slicks just can't get a good grip on the track. It was 95 that day. It hooked better a few weeks earlier and ran quicker.
I have no idea if this is correct, but maybe it will help? If true things change quickly!
Arcade Station, located at 4370 Marine Drive in West Vancouver, British Columbia, offers Regular and Diesel fuel in addition to E85, which is a blend of 85 percent ethanol and 15 percent petroleum fuel. Western Canada’s only gas station selling E85 Ethanol fuel, on its opening in Vancouver.
From your time that may have been a high 13 with a clean run.
Richard
Studebaker Drag Racing You can't beat it.
The 11th annual all Studebaker Nationals Drag Race is Saturday May 25th, 2018 at 9:00 am at Brown County Dragway in Bean Blossom, Indiana. For more information contact Richard Poe