Josephine, a "Moparistic" -55 sedan

This forum is devoted to all topics concerning high performance, Non-Studebaker powered Studebakers.
r1lark
100 - 199 Posts

Re: Josephine, a "Moparistic" -55 sedan

Post by r1lark » 14 Mar 2021, 09:28

Hi nox, haven't seen you posting. Hope all is well! Maybe you are locked out again as a spammer / scammer?

As for me................Spring has arrived to North Carolina, and I'm getting outside a whole lot. Been working on the '54 sedan, looks like the Optima 6v battery has died after 12 years. I have abused it pretty good in the past. :) Have charged it for several days, but it still won''t crank for long before the starter begins slowing down. Cleaned all the connections but only a small improvement. Will pick up a new Optima tomorrow, and also do something I've been meaning to do for several years - new heavy duty battery cables including a ground cable down to the starter.

Also will pull the distributor out and do a preventative maintenance and tune up on it.

Hopefully there will be some Studebaker meets to go to this year! Stay safe!
Paul
Visit The Studebaker Skytop Registry at: http://www.studebakerskytop.com

Champion V8
200 - 399 Posts

Post by Champion V8 » 14 Apr 2021, 04:29

Back from my birth town Stockholm, not my favorite place on this planet + the router there wouldn't be admited by this forum.
I've been involved in getting some heavy equipment moved off a property due to the man being old & his kids, grankids & authorities wanting the place to be "cleaned up", it's a complicated game... Most work was to replace the clutch in this one:
Art Ragge 1.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Champion V8
200 - 399 Posts

Post by Champion V8 » 14 Apr 2021, 16:26

Another thing I "have to share" is the behaviour of the car I drove...
Sonja's spare Subaru, a -01 H6 (exactly the same as her daily driver even down to color & interior) that's never acted strange before but while going upphill on the highway doing about 120km/h it hasitated a few times & then just died! I had about 150 km more to go of the 600 & sure got me a bad surprise there & then. I texted Sonja & my pal that the car just quit but after a few minits it started right up again & ran fine the rest of the way.
Then it would act a bit like that from time to time almost every time I drove it, sometimes it died & sometimes it "only" ran bad, & also it ran bad differently, like different cylinders working from time to time.
Anyway; so it went on these four weeks every day & if I stopped & waited a while it would work good again. But it got worse & worse.
I was on Subaru forums & got different ideas that I tried (cleaning & testing diferent sensors) but nobody had experianced the same, & we had 2 different mechanics at different times looking at it but not finding anything wrong. "A Subaru, nothing ever happens to those" said one of the mechanics...
I was looking on internet to trade it or sell it but didn't get any answers worth while.

When I finaly had to leave my friend tried to make me take the train but that would have included scraping the car & I didn't have time for that & he said he could take care of it for me but I said "if I've been driving it 80km/day for 4 weeks like this I can drive it back to Skåne the same way" & I did...
600km drive, a lot of stops, it took me 11,5 hours & it was worth it!
SonjasCoolaZodiac ( Scania - Kopia.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

r1lark
100 - 199 Posts

Post by r1lark » 14 Apr 2021, 20:51

Well nox, at least you got home!

Good to have you back, we have missed you! :)
Paul

Jessie J.
100 - 199 Posts

Post by Jessie J. » 14 Apr 2021, 22:36

Good to see ya back Nox!

Champion V8
200 - 399 Posts

Post by Champion V8 » 15 Apr 2021, 03:16

Wow, thanx a lot guys! Sure feels good to be back home & able to get into my fav site again.

r1lark
100 - 199 Posts

Post by r1lark » 19 Apr 2021, 19:01

Hey nox, found this YouTube video of an old tugboat that I thought you might like. Apparently he has a lot more videos of it online.
Link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xiPvmI201gw
Paul

Champion V8
200 - 399 Posts

Post by Champion V8 » 20 Apr 2021, 03:40

Yes Paul, I like that a lot! It's a serie of those reportages on youtube.
Here is our on the way when we just bought it, someone filmed us early in the morning:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jZgT2l0f6ZM
Nowadays it looks like this with the secondhand/new wheelhouse on:
325.JPG
2 ADM & Mowitz.jpg
Nox in the wheelhouse now....jpg
7 MaK & Marco.JPG
Now you see what happens when you start a off topic such as this, I could go on for months... :wink:

r1lark
100 - 199 Posts

Post by r1lark » 20 Apr 2021, 08:45

Nox, how does the engine in the Interlude compare with the engine in your tug? Age, size, manufacturer, etc?
Paul

Champion V8
200 - 399 Posts

Post by Champion V8 » 20 Apr 2021, 15:19

Oh I don't know about the one in the film as I already forgot it, all I remember is that it's an Industrie, a Dutch brand, nice stuff! I've seen "a few" ship engines & in the end I mix up a lot...
Our engine is a MaK MS423 from -58, 390 hp / 290 rpm, doing 250 rpm equal 7 knots & 4 inches deep water on aftdeck not towing. Cold engine idle is 60 rpm, warm 40 rpm & in wintertime it only smokes a little about one minit, it was the most expensive high quality engine when it was new.
6 Nox & MaK i Movitz.JPG
She's sooo sweet to sail & I've been onboard some other tugs but im my opinion this one takes the #1 place.

Tomorrow I'm gonna get details about a driveshaft for Josephine, it's difficult to find one with the proper messurements, this one has been in a -49 Pontiac with Ford engine & gearbox.

AND! a guy who bought the 904 gearbox that I first had in Josephine has a 53-54 sedan hood!!! & he only lives 100 km from me! & the price is only 900skr / 107$!
There was another hood I almost bought earlier, not much higher price & with front but it's about 700 km from me so the transport would be either a problem or expensive. & the front / grille pieces I can fabricate myself as it's the hood that's the real challange & it's a custom car anyway. & I will have to mix it with the rear of the -55 hood that's on now due to Josephine being a Ultra Vista... (What a silly name!)

Champion V8
200 - 399 Posts

Post by Champion V8 » 23 Apr 2021, 08:50

D'ya know what it's like when what you do need is for example a straight driveshaft & suddenly something much cheaper turns up & you get to buy it cheap..?
Such as a couple of rusty (there are ways to fix that!) CRAGAR S/S that someone has used with seriously bad camber angle:
CRAGAR SS.JPG
I wanna open the wheelarches more now...

Champion V8
200 - 399 Posts

Post by Champion V8 » 28 Apr 2021, 12:42

As days went by & I always forgot to call back a day or two I finaly got the message that the bigest US car scrapyard in Sweden don't have a driveshaft for me... & they have a LOT of driveshafts!
I've been there & seen it & I don't believe them; I much more suspect & see as another possibility that the one who was sent out to check is a lazy guy. Either that or even more likely a Chevy-&-Caddy-guy who couldn't care less about if anyone has some other brand, we have a lot of those here in Sweden & I've heard the guys on that scrapyard speaking among them selfs.

So Josephine sleeps & in the meantime I went to pic up a 6,5 meter old beam to replace one in our house, probably the same age but the one in the house has loads of little holes & real fine sawdust around all these holes... But the beam was to long for our trailer so I borrowed my cousins volvo + trailer:
(& I also picked up a cupboard)
BengtEvas.JPG

Champion V8
200 - 399 Posts

Post by Champion V8 » 30 Apr 2021, 13:48

Off topic is my style now, wormeaten beam on its way out supported by Sonja & then on trailer beside new tared on stands...
Balk 2.JPG
Balk 4.JPG

Champion V8
200 - 399 Posts

Post by Champion V8 » 02 May 2021, 14:09

Dreaming...
I had to move Josephine today due to put a big heavy table in the barn & she was in the way so I took her for a spin to get some food & then I took a photo that I also modified:
(the rims are rustier than I first chose to see)
voa modif.JPG
& there's a few choices to trade Josephine for but I'm in doubt; one is a Dodge D200 bright turqoice with 318 & 727 in a bit rough condition & then there's a -63 Dart & a -64, both GT's in pretty good condition.
Here's the original photo, the wheels are just standing beside her:
voa 2021-05-02.JPG

Champion V8
200 - 399 Posts

Post by Champion V8 » 03 May 2021, 14:27

Gee, I almost wrote in swedish, sure would've made sense to you guys, right? :oops:
Anyway I just "have to" ventilate this with you experts & I hope you'll come up with your opinions:

I read a while ago that a guy with some late 60's b-body MoPar had a driveshaft that vibrated a lot & when he put the rear axel on stands & spinning the shaft while marking it he saw the shaft was turning outwards the same amount all over on the same side! (I guess he must have bought the car like that, otherwise it would've been impossible for it to have that behaviour, right?) So then he just turned the shaft a half turn & the vibrations was gone!

So have anyone of you guys here ever heard about such thing to happen & why?
I think I have to get under Josephine once more before I give up on this shaft... Maby... Hmmm...