Skeeter Hawk Project

THE place to document, in chronological order, ON-GOING progress/milestones of ANY high performance Studebaker project. Projects include any major/lengthy - repair/modification/resto/total rebuild OR an extensive build/development/modification of a high performance Studebaker part/system. Including as much info/many photos about/of your project is greatly appreciated! ON-GOING PROJECTS ONLY PLEASE.
Champion V8
200 - 399 Posts

Re: Skeeter Hawk Project

Post by Champion V8 » 03 Jan 2021, 15:37

Forgive a guy who don't know much about anything, but what's the small beltdriven cylindershaped thing beside the alternator?
Migty nice to see your posts Bill!

63larkr1
Studebaker Racing Team Member

Post by 63larkr1 » 03 Jan 2021, 18:13

That is an electric motor that turns the water pump and or the fan.
Richard

Moroso Drag Racing Electric Water Pump Motor P/N 63750
Studebaker Drag Racing You can't beat it.
The 11th annual all Studebaker Nationals Drag Race is Saturday May 25th, 2018 at 9:00 am at Brown County Dragway in Bean Blossom, Indiana. For more information contact Richard Poe

Champion V8
200 - 399 Posts

Post by Champion V8 » 04 Jan 2021, 03:50

Aha, an electric motor... That make sense, thanx!

shifter44
Over 400 Posts!

Post by shifter44 » 14 Apr 2021, 10:13

Well, here it is April of 2021 already , and not a lot to report .
Since last November's trip to Orlando , I have been to track only once , and that was a poor outing .
That was in January at Gainesville . I thought that I had corrected the carburetor issues , so went there for a TnT on a Saturday .
Turned out to be one of the coldest days of the year , and it was miserable .
The air temperature stayed in the mid 40's all day , a stout wind , and a heavy grey sky , so no comfort there . Bah .
The car again ran badly , and so we at least used the opportunity to check out my winch set up and then came home .
Since then , I have rebuilt 2 carbs , changed intakes , installed ( finally ) a proper Recovery Can in the cooling system , and made a bunch of
launches here in my 155 ft long Driveway / test strip . Plugs observed many times ( only of course a general guide of overall mixture at best )* .
* I'm really only " reading" the idle system when I do this but I want to make sure that the carb is not way off . When I launch here I can't really
lay into it , so track testing is my only recourse . Carbs both seem ok now .
I plan to go to Orlando on April 18th for a TnT , although weather is not looking promising right now .
Here are pics of my work . The recovery can that was previously on there was too small . I bought this Canton Recovery can , and the capacity is
almost 2.5 times a much . It seems to be working quite well , and has room to spare . I like a closed system , and the tracks do too .
I also have removed the EVANS INTAKE , and re-installed the MORGAN QUADEMON intake .
Both are aluminum , the Evans is single plane , the Morgan is dual plane . I now have the Wilson 1.5" Spacer on the Morgan . It is a 4 hole ( tapered )
extremely light weight unit .

ImageEvans: Morgan manifolds z by Bill H, on Flickr

ImageMorgan W: Wilson April 2021 by Bill H, on Flickr

ImageRecovery can April 2021 a by Bill H, on Flickr

ImageRecovery can April 2021 b by Bill H, on Flickr

ImageCooling system April 2021 by Bill H, on Flickr
If you can't get there in a STUDEBAKER,
it ain't worth goin' .

Bill H .

63larkr1

Post by 63larkr1 » 15 Apr 2021, 17:46

Bill,
I hope you get to the track and work this out. I think you know that we are always working to find the best tune or correct some problem here or there.
We do it the old fashion way, work it out on your own we don't have a Summit or Jegs to call and order a bunch of parts some engineers have put together in some package deal. Where's the fun in that? Keep us updated.
Richard
Studebaker Drag Racing You can't beat it.
The 11th annual all Studebaker Nationals Drag Race is Saturday May 25th, 2018 at 9:00 am at Brown County Dragway in Bean Blossom, Indiana. For more information contact Richard Poe

shifter44
Over 400 Posts!

Post by shifter44 » 19 Apr 2021, 16:46

Mother Nature won the race. We've had intermittent rain , since last Friday .
Next chance to go will be May 2nd .
If you can't get there in a STUDEBAKER,
it ain't worth goin' .

Bill H .

3x2stude

Post by 3x2stude » 23 Apr 2021, 00:47

Bill,

If you are interested in playing with any SBC intakes I would be willing to lend you a set of my adapter to experiment with. PM me if interested.

Jon Kammer
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.