Josephine, a "Moparistic" -55 sedan

This forum is devoted to all topics concerning high performance, Non-Studebaker powered Studebakers.
Champion V8
Over 400 Posts!

Re: Josephine, a "Moparistic" -55 sedan

Post by Champion V8 »

Funny how much American a small Volvo Amazon can be, the grille being one thing, but the roof of a -54 chevy 2-door sedan & a 2-door Amazon & tail lights too, but look at the bumper:
(without bumperets)
AmazonFångare.jpg
Even the place for the license plate!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Champion V8
Over 400 Posts!

Post by Champion V8 »

Two days to get the bumper irons off & then appart since they're for the old bumper that had other & more holes. They were riveted together & I'm certain the guy who did that job at the Chrysler factory was no teenager!
So that's all done now but because the car had a crash once upon a time I will have to bang on one to get it right, don't show so good on the picture:
qStøtFångarn 11.JPG
& when that's done it's time for some proper plating for the midle piece between the grilles & the plating for the indicators.
(the silver is just some cheap stuff for now)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Mike Van Veghten
Studebaker Racing Team Member

Post by Mike Van Veghten »

Yeah, I like the bumpers on most cars without the upright, or bumperette's too. Some big bumpers need them in place because of the design, but so far, all of my cars since 1968...have them removed !

You can still get things chromed ? Here in SoCal, the CA. government has closed almost all of the chrome shops in the last few years. A chemical problem !

Mike
Champion V8
Over 400 Posts!

Post by Champion V8 »

I haven't looked into the possibility to chrome it yet, I know it has always been expensive. Maby I'll do some searchin later on but then all the other chrome will look ugly, so... Hmmm...
:?
Champion V8
Over 400 Posts!

Post by Champion V8 »

The bumper has been going on & off many times in the evenings after work now due to the irons being bent & then heating & banging didn't work at all so I cut a grove that obviously was to shallow so it snapped, then I grinded it & welded it & that turned out pretty good. Then I've been busy adding & removing shoms & distancces to get the right hight & angle or at least as good as possible.
Then today I tried the bumperettes from the NewYorker bumper on the Imperial bumper cuz there was holes avaliable but I think they're to close to together:
qStøtFångarn 17.JPG
I'm not sure if I'll drill new holes to have bumperettes on or not but I'll weld the old holes close anyway.
shifter44
Over 400 Posts!

Post by shifter44 »

I like the way it looks in the picture .
Also , it seems that if you move them much farther apart , the center of the bumper may be the farthest forward part , and take the potential abuse , negating the purpose of the bumperettes . ???
If you can't get there in a STUDEBAKER,
it ain't worth goin' .

Bill H .
Champion V8
Over 400 Posts!

Post by Champion V8 »

Yes, clever thought right there Bill; didn't see that that's where they would make most sense to be mounted! So I might leave it like this at least for a while, bet it's gonna pussle some Chrysler folx...
:mrgreen:
Champion V8
Over 400 Posts!

Post by Champion V8 »

I just saw that 55-56 Imperial have the bumperettes in that same place, so not many confused Chrysler people then... & that also makes me go for other thoughts& ideas.
Mike Van Veghten
Studebaker Racing Team Member

Post by Mike Van Veghten »

Nox -

Did you ever look into the Eastwood "chrome" spray paint we talked about a while back ?

Mike
Champion V8
Over 400 Posts!

Post by Champion V8 »

Yes Mike & when the time comes I'll probably go for that. Now I'm on to welding a bracket I "forgot" (sneaked away from) on the inside of the sill towards the frame + some kinda e-brake connection.
I just saw our cherry tree is flowering!:
P1020397.JPG
Champion V8
Over 400 Posts!

Post by Champion V8 »

I've just cleaned up some crapy stuff on the Chrysler (I'm not gonna call it Chris, don't feel right) such as the last angle on the right side exhaust pipe & some days ago I removed the automatic choke cuz the flap couldn't close, something was stuck & there was a choke cable still left from the Hemi's days so I connected it & it works fine & it starts easier now. Pic from before I adjusted (cut & weld) the right side exhaust:
P1020408.JPG
At that side the pipe goes between the spare tire well & the leaf springs so it goes lower down.
We have swallos in the barn, that's why I'm using a tarp, they're good moscito catshers those swallows!
Champion V8
Over 400 Posts!

Post by Champion V8 »

Today I switched Josephine's rear wheels & the Chrysler's front wheels to see if the Chrysler would drive straight with radial tires, & yes it was a bit easier but the steering gear is still to worn & on my way back the car came in a swaying rythm, not good at all.
P1020414.JPG
& something strange happend with the picture of Josephine so I'll take a new one tomorrow.
Champion V8
Over 400 Posts!

Post by Champion V8 »

What d'ya know; the photo of Josephine had landed among the Chrysler pictures, some strange computer, it all started to act funny when I updated to windows 10.
So here she is with the Chrysler's higher tires:
z 1505.png
Gonna be fun to see what the speed'll be now... I won't have time to test until Wednesday.
Champion V8
Over 400 Posts!

Post by Champion V8 »

I really wanna change Josephine's face by putting the Chrysler grille frame on her but that includes making the hole wider & narrower & first I wanna get the Chrysler's platework done. So I've started to cut out the rusty parts of the front right corner + the "ditch" where the old indicator used to be & weld it close, it's a bit silly that it's just at the place where the front & fender meets, so it requires two plates but I welded a few spots that holds bouth plates together. Then I just sanded a bit & put some wrong shade of blue on ti for now:
FrontFix c.JPG
Thou now when I look at it I think I'll cut it open again & make the hole higher & the new plate bended towards the grille hole instead of having the horisontal bended edge like now... Yep, that I'll do but not tonight!
r1lark
200 - 399 Posts

Post by r1lark »

You are doing a lot of work to the Chrysler nox. Josephine is going to get jealous!
Paul
Visit The Studebaker Skytop Registry at: http://www.studebakerskytop.com