Body & frame swap

THE place to document, in chronological order, ON-GOING progress/milestones of ANY high performance Studebaker project. Projects include any major/lengthy - repair/modification/resto/total rebuild OR an extensive build/development/modification of a high performance Studebaker part/system. Including as much info/many photos about/of your project is greatly appreciated! ON-GOING PROJECTS ONLY PLEASE.
gordon tarbell
100 - 199 Posts

Body & frame swap

Post by gordon tarbell »

Not sure if this is the correct place to post this but, I am about to do the mix and match routine on the two hot rod stude projects I have going. First I was wanting to take my 53' body and put on a 63 GT hawk frame since it actually measures to be slightly thicker metal (stiffer frame) . Then take similar 55' body and put on 61 Hawk frame since it is in better shape (less rusty) . Both of these are not restoration projects . The 53 will be strictly street rod and the 55' will be road licensed but mostly raced at dragstrip and hopefully el Mirage. Are all the mounts the same between the years or am I going to be doing a ton of cutting and welding ?
Gordon
Alan
Studebaker Racing Team Member

Re: Body & frame swap

Post by Alan »

They are basically all the same except for the 53 body. The bat wing on the 63 GT frame will need a little work to the bottom of the body but that is about it.
gordon tarbell
100 - 199 Posts

Re: Body & frame swap

Post by gordon tarbell »

Thanks Alan, I have been trying to get going on this project for many years only to be interrupted by life. Retirement will be next year and these two cars will be getting the majority of my attention. Thank you.
Gordon