'65 Daytona Experiment

This forum is devoted to all topics concerning high performance, Non-Studebaker powered Studebakers.
Post Reply
User avatar
3x2stude
Studebaker Racing Team Member
Posts: 576
Joined: 21 May 2012, 19:24

'65 Daytona Experiment

Post by 3x2stude »

Back in 2018 I bought it from a gentleman in Northern Illinois. He archived it back in 1999 so it sat in his barn for nearly two decades. As you can see in the photos it has the barn find look. I got it for a reasonable price, its 98% complete and except for the carpet the interior is original and has no rips or tears. I bought it the weekend before Mothers day and caught hell for working on it on Mothers day, oops. :wink: The car came with a list of what needed fixed in the glove box along with some photos and an article about how to avoid having an ignition switch meltdown. More on that in a later post. The first thing was to get it running so first thing I did was pull the plugs one at a time, inspect for color and number them so if there was a problem cylinder we could identify it later. Odd thing was that they all looked like they had just been cleaned, not sitting for 19 years and they were oily, but clean oil. I scoped each cylinder wall and they were all oily and shinny. It appeared that it was fogged like a boat motor when it was put away. It was loose and would turn. I scoped the gas tank and it had been drained and was not rusty, sweet. I put Marvel oil down each cylinder four days in a row. We gassed her up. Blew off, gapped and reinstalled the plugs. Replaced the points, cap, condenser, dropped in a new battery and cranked her over with the coil wire off. Once we had oil pressure the coil wire went back on ,a small dump of fuel down the carb and after a few cranks it fired up and ran, and it ran well. Once it warmed up and we verified there were no leaks we revved it up several times and got mouse condo after mouse condo out the exhaust for days. OK, so technically I got a cool little driver. Brake inspection, wheels and tires next post.

JK
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
User avatar
Champion V8
Over 400 Posts!
Posts: 666
Joined: 27 Feb 2018, 18:21
Location: Tollarp, Skåne, Sweden

Re: '65 Daytona Experiment

Post by Champion V8 »

Oh that's sweet, I'd drive it! 8)
User avatar
r1lark
200 - 399 Posts
Posts: 271
Joined: 19 Feb 2006, 19:14
Location: Winston-Salem NC

Re: '65 Daytona Experiment

Post by r1lark »

Cool car! Love the unmolested engine & engine compartment.
Paul
Visit The Studebaker Skytop Registry at: http://www.studebakerskytop.com
User avatar
3x2stude
Studebaker Racing Team Member
Posts: 576
Joined: 21 May 2012, 19:24

Re: '65 Daytona Experiment

Post by 3x2stude »

I did do some alterations to the unmolested motor department. A quality valve job, an aluminum 4V military only intake with a WCFB topped with a Corvette air cleaner. Corvette rocker covers and some other shiny goodies. I never did run quite right as it was difficult to keep it in time. Before we could investigate the timing chain it jumped and is at the point of just barely runs. Not to worry, I had started on a replacement a while ago. Photos of the current motor attached. I only seem to have a few. New motor in the next post.

JK
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
User avatar
3x2stude
Studebaker Racing Team Member
Posts: 576
Joined: 21 May 2012, 19:24

Re: '65 Daytona Experiment

Post by 3x2stude »

I thought about building the snot out of the maple leaf 283 but I went a different route. I opted a way to put a bigger, stronger small block in and still keep it as close to being a Stude motor in a Stude as the 283 was. I scored a 1967, 300 HP, 327 out of an Avanti II. I paid too much for it but it's what I wanted. It was totally gone through and has some modern goodies to goose it up a bit. It should be sporting about 325 HP, plenty for the little Daytona. The hoods going to need modified but that's OK with me. The motor's been run on the stand, so it's broken in and no leaks or squeaks, ready to rock. I'll go back to the regular order of thing layed out in the first post, wheels and tires next. Motor pictures attached.

JK
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
User avatar
3x2stude
Studebaker Racing Team Member
Posts: 576
Joined: 21 May 2012, 19:24

Re: '65 Daytona Experiment

Post by 3x2stude »

As usual I need to have GM Corvette Rally wheels on my ride. I have 17 x 8s with 5.75" custom back spacing on the rear and 16 x 6 on the front with 4.0" back spacing slightly negated by a 3/8 spacer, so 3.625". Both are dual bolt pattern. The rear tires are 235/55 ZR17s and the fronts are 205/55 ZR16s, Riken brand, "Raptor". Reasonable priced and speed rated faster that the Daytona will ever go. :). I had to pull some tom foolery on the front for the pacers to work. I used longer Dorman studs, #610-255, '80-'88 AMC Eagle. Photos attached.

JK
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
User avatar
r1lark
200 - 399 Posts
Posts: 271
Joined: 19 Feb 2006, 19:14
Location: Winston-Salem NC

Re: '65 Daytona Experiment

Post by r1lark »

'New' engine looks great, that should really wake up your Lark! And thanks for the detailed information on the wheels and tires, that will help someone down the road for sure (maybe me :wink: ).
Paul
Visit The Studebaker Skytop Registry at: http://www.studebakerskytop.com
User avatar
3x2stude
Studebaker Racing Team Member
Posts: 576
Joined: 21 May 2012, 19:24

Re: '65 Daytona Experiment

Post by 3x2stude »

There are few things more frustrating than seeing nice fitting large wheels and tires on a car just like yours and not knowing the diameter, back spacing and exact tire size. The same rear spacing fits my 61 Hawk as well.

JK
Post Reply