Josephine, a "Moparistic" -55 sedan

This forum is devoted to all topics concerning high performance, Non-Studebaker powered Studebakers.
Champion V8
Over 400 Posts!

Re: Josephine, a "Moparistic" -55 sedan

Post by Champion V8 »

Yes I've been thinking about that, the best might be to get another radiator but I'll see how high I can get this one, the new hood has a narrower space since it's more pointy. Now it's morning here & I'm of to work, more Josephine for me in the evening...
Champion V8
Over 400 Posts!

Post by Champion V8 »

When I got home I found my son Ozzian sick with fever so there was less time to work on Josephine but in the end I got some time & started to fabricate brackets for the radiator but I drilled one wrong & then I had to quit so I'll make a new one tomorrow, & tomorrow I'll be home cuz Ozzian is sick & Sonja has to be at the cafe so I reckon I can do the rest then. Probably.
Champion V8
Over 400 Posts!

Post by Champion V8 »

It's been quite difficult this... If I mount the rad as high as I prefer the lower water pipe comes at the U-stand for the original radiator so I have to put it lower even thou I think it comes to low / near the ground.
If I find another nearby I'll change...
So in the end I got tired of the rad job, made the second bracket & painted them, then I started on the front, first I got the hood down all the way by cutting off some -55 bits:
P1020699.JPG
P1020701.JPG
Then I started cutting & welding, tomorrow I'll do the left side too:
P1020703.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Mike Van Veghten
Studebaker Racing Team Member

Post by Mike Van Veghten »

A man with a mission.

Mike
Champion V8
Over 400 Posts!

Post by Champion V8 »

Mission... Yeah!
Today I had such a bad back so I had to drive back home, could hardly walk with my back straight, layed down for a looong time & then I felt better so I went & fixed the left side too, & that went fast! Then I drove back to work & so on...
P1020708.JPG
P1020709.JPG
Next thing is planning the opening shape & get back to the radiator.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Champion V8
Over 400 Posts!

Post by Champion V8 »

When going around & closing doors for the night I made a black cardbord piece, hanged it on the peak with tape & took a picture...
Huv p.JPG
So opening the sides a bit & raising the underside... soon...
Champion V8
Over 400 Posts!

Post by Champion V8 »

Made black-&-white copies of that last picture toningt & got going on ideas but even thou I fancy them as custom styles I'm gonna go more Studebaker style, but here are the ideas:
HuvTestA.JPG
HuvTestC.JPG
Mike Van Veghten
Studebaker Racing Team Member

Post by Mike Van Veghten »

Very nice.
I like the lower version better. A little more character. A little like the 50 / 51 Stude grill openings.

Yes sir, looks good, nice work. Now to transfer it to metal and start welding.

Mike
Champion V8
Over 400 Posts!

Post by Champion V8 »

I'm gonna see what it's like if I open more outwatds, a touch of the real thing...
studebaker-champion-4-door-sedan.jpg
Champion V8
Over 400 Posts!

Post by Champion V8 »

I was going to work when Sonja called me & said it was no use since it's raining & my back is bad so now I lay in the sofa designing Josephine's face... (ah, the stuff folx can do when having their own companies)
So I think I'll set for the last pic where the indicators are inside the grille:
(I prefer the openings to be more rounded than the original 53-54)
HuvTestC.JPG
HuvTestD.JPG
So now I just have to "wait for reality"... I'll need a bumper, would prefer a split one for the number plate between. I also levelled up the pix, I happend to see they were slanted & that made it difficult to draw horisontal.
Champion V8
Over 400 Posts!

Post by Champion V8 »

Looking at original fronts I realized I should make the point more angled / narrow at the bottom so I went out & cut the cardboard piece + made it shorter too, took a photo & made another scetch...
(& I'm not sure I'll need / want a bumper)
HuvTestE.JPG