Skeeter Hawk Project

THE place to document, in chronological order, ON-GOING progress/milestones of ANY high performance Studebaker project. Projects include any major/lengthy - repair/modification/resto/total rebuild OR an extensive build/development/modification of a high performance Studebaker part/system. Including as much info/many photos about/of your project is greatly appreciated! ON-GOING PROJECTS ONLY PLEASE.
Champion V8
Over 400 Posts!

Re: Skeeter Hawk Project

Post by Champion V8 »

Always nice to see a race car! (even thou a Studebaker is even nicer)
Cool T-shirt!
shifter44
Over 400 Posts!

Post by shifter44 »

Made it to the Track yesterday May 15 , 2022 .
Only made 2 runs . On Run 1 , I ran a Camaro of some sort , and won . I ran 13.823 Best ET so far with this combo .
No video of that run , but ET slips below....
Video of run 2 shows confusion happening . I glanced at my tach , to monitor my RPM against the brake , and the other guy red lighted , and that startled me , and I also red lighted . Stuff happens .
I intended to run again and was in the lanes , but a shower developed overhead . We had an earlier shower also , but it was brief and they dried the track , and that was for Run 2 . This second shower looked to be going to hang longer , so we went back to the trailer , and it broke loose on us so we got soaked loading up . These are Seabreeze showers that cook up as the seabeeeze sweeps inland , rises due to the inland being hotter , and drops rain . A very common daily event in Florida . The track is just far enough inland to suffer this .
Temperature was 92 , little breeze on the track , dew point 72 .

https://www.flickr.com/photos/hollyhill ... ed-public/

If you can't get there in a STUDEBAKER,
it ain't worth goin' .

Bill H .
r1lark
200 - 399 Posts

Post by r1lark »

Congrats Bill on the new low ET!
Paul
Visit The Studebaker Skytop Registry at: http://www.studebakerskytop.com
Champion V8
Over 400 Posts!

Post by Champion V8 »

Always nice to see videos & pix of you & that cool car Bill!
shifter44
Over 400 Posts!

Post by shifter44 »

I am working on my Summer project during the " Too Damned HOT & Humid to Race " season to try to improve the looks of the car and to make it a bit better to shed the rain should I get caught in a storm .
So I work on it in the garage with fans blowing etc , trying to survive the Mid 90's heat and dew points of 80 +/- which is right at 83 % Humidity .
Of course , in keeping with the name of my car , I must apply Mosquito repellent everywhere before each session .

The nose , and the trunk lid are fiberglass , and very light weight , and so flimsy , and that is where my time is mostly going .
I am fairly satisfied with these new improvements on the nose , but I am still in the midst of battle on the trunk lid . It'll be weeks before it is ready to paint . The car is not a beauty , and I just want to improve it . Stay tuned..
Fender corner Ext..jpg
IMG_2209.jpg
IMG_2235.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
it ain't worth goin' .

Bill H .
Jeff Rice
Global Moderator

Post by Jeff Rice »

Looking good!
Jeff
Champion V8
Over 400 Posts!

Post by Champion V8 »

Am I guessing right that it's about getting it more rigid? How about alu profiles..?
shifter44
Over 400 Posts!

Post by shifter44 »

I'm on a roll today with posting so......more on the trunk lid / deck lid project .
The lid was super flimsy as stated .But it worked for all of these years . There is virtually nothing left of the inner structure of the trunk area of the body, so no way that even a lightened and springless version of the original hinges would work , and anyway , I have nothing but a skin. and I had been using Cabinet Hinges placed more towards the center of the lid than stock location . Interestingly they are Ferrari Brand .

Fortunately I still have the original mold that DD and I made one day about 36 years ago so I used that with clamps to hold the shape while I worked .

I messed around trying to make some aluminum structure inside but rejected that because I am not comfortable with the bonding between the metal and the necessary fiberglass application . Also I did not want to use mechanical fastening as that means screws or ? through the skin and I have too much of that on the car now .

So I went back to surfboard technology , and used Foam to provide a backbone for epoxy resin with Fiberglass cloth laid over to do the job.
The Foam that I used is water pipe insulation which comes with a slit and so I used that to guide a knife down to make 2 semi-circles . I did the layout and Epoxied them down , put 2 layers of Cloth over them .( I pre tested the foam with Acetone and epoxy to be sure that it would do .)
There's a lot of intervening steps but here are the basics . A show car it ain't.....
It works well and as a result the rather flimsy way that I had the little hinges attached called out for help so I have added some aluminum structure there to help it out . Not pretty but I like it .
ImageAlum. angle a by Bill H, on Flickr

ImageAlum. angle b by Bill H, on Flickr

ImageThe mold & lid by Bill H, on Flickr

ImageFoam layout a by Bill H, on Flickr

ImageHolding foam down during Epoxy work by Bill H, on Flickr

ImageBack on the car . by Bill H, on Flickr

ImageNew hinge bracing by Bill H, on Flickr

ImageHinges bracing and patches by Bill H, on Flickr

Can't forget the High Tech Prop .
ImageHi -Tech prop . by Bill H, on Flickr
it ain't worth goin' .

Bill H .
bhawk
0 - 19 Posts

Post by bhawk »

Thumbs up on your creativity.

Bruce
Bruce Hawkins
'47 M5
'55 President Coupe
Champion V8
Over 400 Posts!

Post by Champion V8 »

Cool idea!
Is that a whole tunnel above the rear axel from wheel to wheel?
shifter44
Over 400 Posts!

Post by shifter44 »

Sort of .
The car is " Back halved " ,frame cut , a narrow frame and suspension installed , and much of the Stude inner sheetmetal removed , and then wheel tubs installed . To cover all of that the sheet metal you see is there to cover the gap .
it ain't worth goin' .

Bill H .
Mike Van Veghten
Studebaker Racing Team Member

Post by Mike Van Veghten »

Back...in the day...as they say, I used paper towel rolls to stiffen the fenders on my one piece Anglia front end.

I never knew this was happening, until a friend showed me a photo of my car at about 300ft out. The lower fenders were pulled out by the wind, like big parachutes.

I thought of a couple of ways to stop this, but just ended up doing the fiberglass and paper towel cardboard rolls to provide some stiffness.
Yep, it worked. They still moved a little, but the lower areas didn't end up out in the wind like they did before the supports.

Funny...for as bad as it looked in the photo, neither the MPH or the E.T. changed ! But it DID...look more...proper.

Mike