prints

This forum is devoted to all topics concerning high performance, Studebaker powered vehicles.
ABC
0 - 19 Posts

prints

Post by ABC »

this is a serious request. is it possible to get or purchase blueprints (engineering drawings or production drawings will work) for the late model stude v8 head? any of the r series heads would be my first choice. first and third angle projections are acceptable.

if they are available please supply contact contact information. thank you for any help that can be provided.
r1lark
200 - 399 Posts

Re: prints

Post by r1lark »

Check with Andrew Beckman at the Studebaker National Museum in South Bend. Contact information is available via a Google search on 'Studebaker National Museum'. They have many many blueprints in their archives. I think the drawings are referenced by part number, so you would need to tell them specifically which part number heads you are interested in.
Paul
Visit The Studebaker Skytop Registry at: http://www.studebakerskytop.com
ABC
0 - 19 Posts

Post by ABC »

r1lark, Thank you very much for your reply and info. I'm not sure on part numbers. I readily admit to my ignorance about part numbers as I have never known the actual part numbers of the stude heads that i have worked on. I will just have to go through yet another learning curve before I can find out if I can get my hands on some prints. Too bad the only stude heads I have on hand are a pair of some kinda not so well engineered aftermarket cast aluminum heads that belong to my brother. I will let you know what I find out from the fellow you recommended I call. I may be needing some part numbers from someone that knows about that end of things.

again thanks for your help.
Alan
Studebaker Racing Team Member

Post by Alan »

ABC, put up a pic. of the heads you have. I think you might have a set of 1555479's that Lional Stone had butchered. You could check with Dave Livesay, he might have some prints.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Jeff Rice
Global Moderator

Post by Jeff Rice »

Interesting thread!
ABC
0 - 19 Posts

Post by ABC »

I have factory prints from the Studebaker museum on the way for what I am about to do. The prints i need are absolutely necessary for what I am about to do. The picture of the head that Alan posted are indeed what I have here. I am not sure how to post a picture on this site. So I am going to make an attempt to post 4 pictures of one of the heads I have here. If the pics don't come through please tell me how to get the pics on this site and I will gladly post them.

Jay Bradel
20 - 59 Posts

Post by Jay Bradel »

The photo Alan posted are the heads I have on my R3 clone. They are Lionel Stone's aluminum reproduction. I sunk a lot of cash to get them to work. They now have great flow numbers. What are your plans for your heads if I may ask?
Alan
Studebaker Racing Team Member

Post by Alan »

ABC, Yes those are L S heads. He made 25 sets or 50 single heads. 2 or 3 heads were not repairable. It looks like you have a problem with the seats backing out? There were 2 other problems with them. John Myers had my set of heads that Stone sent him to test before making his batch. Myers told Stone that they were too thin in the decks. So when he had his 50 made he had them machined off 1/4", that is why there is no rails to keep the oil from drooling out on the headers when you adjust the valves. Also Stone did not have the intake port wood runner pieces for the core boxes, so he pored Dev-con down the ports and used that since Dave L. had those pieces from the Stu-V days with Chris B. So you will see when you look down the intake ports there are aluminum plugs pressed in that will leak under vacuum.
Jay Bradel
20 - 59 Posts

Post by Jay Bradel »

I was a lot younger when I looked at the castings and noticed potential problems. Thought to myself.............. I can fix that............. Oh well, what a journey!
I did not have any problem with the seats but did have leaks. One of the tubes were loose, had little press fit and needed replaced. Sent them out and had them sealed after extensive porting. No problems since. Gave the engine to my son who is restoring a 63 Avanti. His problem if failure occurs! :lol: