Josephine, a "Moparistic" -55 sedan

This forum is devoted to all topics concerning high performance, Non-Studebaker powered Studebakers.
shifter44
Over 400 Posts!

Re: Josephine, a "Moparistic" -55 sedan

Post by shifter44 »

I was at the track in May . Ran quickest ET ever at 13.82 .
I intended to go this week again , but the Tropical weather has set in now , so I will not race again until Sept. / Oct. .
Here is my Cub Cadet 1811 that I use to move my trailer around . I have a hitch on both ends , and pull it out of it's cubby hole , and then push it back in when I get home and unloaded . Tiny yard . It's a 1989 model , and has the good Hydro trans . It sat out for years , and I bought it because the hours were fairly low . I've done a fair amount of maintenance etc ,and fire it up and run it around at least once a month to keep it happy .

Image1811 & trailer 1 by Bill H, on Flickr

That's a quite old picture , and I've improved the trailer quite a lot since then .
If you can't get there in a STUDEBAKER,
it ain't worth goin' .

Bill H .
Mike Van Veghten
Studebaker Racing Team Member

Post by Mike Van Veghten »

Yeah, agreed, that's great. Building stuff, using his mind and hands for something other than indoors, hours upon hours of computer games like many kids do here in the states. They don't know a screw driver from a backyard barbecue !

Mike
Champion V8
Over 400 Posts!

Post by Champion V8 »

Well, he's quite a computer freak too, but he's also good with constructing & building stuff, drawing & painting too, "runs inda fambly" so to speak, only thing he's unlike his parents is, together with computer stuff, is that he don't care much for music. Today we put a roof on the trailer, yesterday the walls & doors at the rear came up, this is the latest picture on the way to get the walls:
1Juni2022.JPG
On Monday it's the "Tollarp Festival" & he + two pals are gonna sell soda drinks & candy, that's his idea for building the trailer.
z43 NyaGolvet 1Jun2022.JPG
I got some flat concrete plates for free so I built a little floor in the barn, the plates are only 25x25cm & I got 80 of them, just enough to park a car on
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Champion V8
Over 400 Posts!

Post by Champion V8 »

Done with the trailer, today he (& a little me too) painted it & I opend one side + a small slot in the front wall so he can spy on whatever is ahead... 8)
4jun2022 a.JPG
We also fitted rear "lights" for the look:
4jun2022 b.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Champion V8
Over 400 Posts!

Post by Champion V8 »

Some days ago I bought SAAB 96 indicators & today I've started carefully to build them into place, here's one just stitting lose for to see how it'll turn out:
FrontFix Indicator.JPG
There's plenty work with the bumper too + the rest of life but weather is GOOD!
r1lark
200 - 399 Posts

Post by r1lark »

Good job on the trailer Ozzian!
Paul
Visit The Studebaker Skytop Registry at: http://www.studebakerskytop.com
Mike Van Veghten

Ozzian -
Yep, that trailer looks good enough to camp out in.

NOX -
Your new lights,,,wouldn't they look better round (or maybe oval), like most everything else on the car (no other square corners) ?

Mike
Champion V8
Over 400 Posts!

Post by Champion V8 »

Yep; Ozzian is 50cm at the moment & that's the length inside the trailer & he says he's gonna spend a night in it.
Tomorrow is the Tollarp festival, they started partying today, but to morrow is the main day & then Ozzian & two friends are gonna drive around & sell lemonade & candy from the trailer. Sonja had to take a pic too when she came back from work yesterday:
4jun2022 c.JPG
Bullheaded & grumpy old fart as I am, this is the similarity I'm kinda aming for at the moment on the Chrysler:[/b]
Amaz.jpg
Then maby later I'll get an Amazon to make look like a 55-56 Chrysler... :mrgreen:
Champion V8
Over 400 Posts!

Post by Champion V8 »

Waterpump on the Chrysler has been leaking for a while so yesterday I orderd a new one & then I removed the old one, it wass leaking from the hole it "should" when the bearings gets worn but I didn't expect this:
A6 Engine 6.JPG
There was no trace of gasket, only a mall amount of black sealer in one(!) place![/b]
Mike Van Veghten

Yeah, if you are careful, you can get away just using a sealer in the place of a gasket. Most motorcycles since the mid-late 1980's (from the factory) at least have few paper gaskets in them, just a silicon sealer on the machined surfaces.

Carefully scrape that surface with a fresh razor blade. Keep it flat, no nicks. Then some ScotchBrite buffing.

Still good to use the paper gaskets when you have them though.

Mike
Champion V8
Over 400 Posts!

Post by Champion V8 »

Yeah, I always use gaskets if I can, seen to many lose bits of sealer left in places where there shouldn't be any.
I learned another thing also now; when we bought the Dodge van from where Josephine's engine & gearbox comes from it had a leaking waterpump & I was happy that it wasn't that awfull expensieve but lately I've felt that it has a play... & when I orderd the new one to the Chrysler the guy advised me to not go for the cheapest one due to its poor quality. So it's Gates I'm buying & hoping it stays good.
wp.jpg
wa pu.jpg
Champion V8
Over 400 Posts!

Post by Champion V8 »

Seems the brightheads who installed the engine was in a hurry, I've been busy trying to line up the alternator but in the end I couldn't get it good enough cuz I lack a long enough bolt to get the alternator more forward... This is what it looks like now, new water pump installed:
P1020549.JPG
I have other pulleys laying to work better but then the steering pump don't line up... :(
shifter44
Over 400 Posts!

Post by shifter44 »

Try All-thread . Often called Threaded Rod also . Cut to suit your need . Spacers as needed .
If you can't get there in a STUDEBAKER,
it ain't worth goin' .

Bill H .
Champion V8
Over 400 Posts!

Post by Champion V8 »

Good idea but I'll get a good bolt soon, I want it to be black steel.
r1lark
200 - 399 Posts

Post by r1lark »

nox, how did Ozzian and his friends do on their lemonade and candy business at the Tollarp festival?
Paul
Visit The Studebaker Skytop Registry at: http://www.studebakerskytop.com