Josephine, a "Moparistic" -55 sedan

This forum is devoted to all topics concerning high performance, Non-Studebaker powered Studebakers.
Champion V8
Over 400 Posts!

Re: Josephine, a "Moparistic" -55 sedan

Post by Champion V8 »

Hmmm... never thought about that since the Studebaker is so much slimmer but now that you mention it I'm gonna look into the early Amazon grille style... Not that I want it to fool people like with the Chrysler's face but the idea requires some thoughts & scetches since the design is close in some aspects, thanx!
Champion V8
Over 400 Posts!

Post by Champion V8 »

Of all the things one couldn't imagene... Take warning:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7yOzQI80-k0
Mike Van Veghten
Studebaker Racing Team Member

Post by Mike Van Veghten »

As copied from my post on the Drivers web site -

First time I noticed this "situation"...was over 20 years ago !

My first indoctrination was with "brand name" control arm bushings for the front of my 67 Chevy II. Simple parts...right ?

1, All bought from different locations. Why did I buy three sets ? One was, I forgot that I had bought the first set, some time back ! The third was I didn't like the "look" of either set of bushings as compared to what I could see of the "factory" GM bushings. The third was no better, and I figured...what the hell, this is all that's available...

2. All USA (that is, not some oddball offshore name) names on the boxes.

3. All the exact SAME part ! Same part number molded in the rubber, along with other single letters and symbols !!!

4. AND...ALL a lesser part than came out of the original GM lower control arm. Dimensionally speaking. All "fit", and was mostly tight in the control arm, but had a shorter steel body, for less rubber support.

I stopped the assembly of the "unknown" bushings. I went to an old long time in the city, small parts store, opened in about 1968 or so, (The same family owns it today !) and asked them to order me the bushings that I needed as last ditch effort.. Same...part number on the box...BUT...the parts were visually...like the parts that I had removed from the control arms...NOT the garbage that I had bought with the "brand" names on the boxes !!

Another comment that I've found to be a BIG lie.
These / this parts are - is "a bolt on" part. Ha...VERY few parts are truly...bolt on parts ! Not without some other mechanical intrusion for a more...proper fit.

I've also found a similar problems on custom made parts. Need a fair amount of extra time and work, to work properly, not done by the custom part manufacturer.
But to be fair, I've had custom work done specifically for me that WAS most excellent. Like, I think that everyone was most happy with their custom, adjustable cam drives !!? I've installed mine, and found zero problems, and worked as designed.

And...so it continues.

Mike
Champion V8
Over 400 Posts!

Post by Champion V8 »

Good to spead this info, we need to take caution when buying stuff, I'm lucky to know the oldest speedshop in Sweden, loads of old stuff there.

Today I went to our local scrapyard & thought I would find a radiator from some modern car to fit reasonably good but they even had a MoPar rad laying from a 70's Valiant, it was a sorry sight but I got it for 20$! So tomorrow I'll get it installed...
Huv s.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Champion V8
Over 400 Posts!

Post by Champion V8 »

Since I yesterday checked the radiator for leaks by plugging the holes & blowing I cleaned it & painted it. So today I made angled plates for the sides to fill out the distance to the "U" & then I fastend it + water hoses & the trans coling pipes, all good so far...
Then I started to fill up with water & "guess what"..? It has a leak about one third up from the bottom, almost middle! So I sprayed some blue at the area where the water leaked & then I took it out & put it on a table & blocked all openings again, used the compressor for air & sprayed soap water on it but it aint easy to see, I even used strong glasses + magnifying glas & flash light, still hard to see the actual spot. I've seen a friend fix a leaking rad years ago so I reckon I'm gonna try it. But if it don't work I at least know what type to look for now.
Just put in:
P1020738.JPG
P1020741.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Mike Van Veghten

Clean...is the key to a good solder joint.

Yeah, I've fixed both radiators and gas tanks by soldering.
Very clean and plenty of flux.

Good luck.

Mike
Champion V8
Over 400 Posts!

Post by Champion V8 »

Been busy lately but for 3 evenings after work I've cleaned, solderd & checked with water but yesterday I just left it after soldering so today I filled it & it wa good!
So I mounted it & filled water, going back-&-forth looking for fitting hoseclamps & welding the sideplates took a while & just when I was done... I saw a drop of water on the floor! Took a flash light but couldn't spot any leak... But when I looked at the underside(!) I saw that there's an old damage. I can't figure out why it didn't show earlier thou...
Here's a pick of it just before I mounted it:
(the arrow aint on the rad, just pointing at the solder)
Huv v.JPG
Huv x.JPG
Champion V8
Over 400 Posts!

Post by Champion V8 »

Removed the rad today after work; cleaned & solderd it, installed it & filled water:
Huv y.JPG
Huv z.JPG
Huv ä.JPG
Then I've decided to not install electric fan at this moment, so I took the simplest ordinary fan I had, the viscose(or what it might be called?) driven ones are to deep, I had to cut the blades thou due to the top radiator hose being really low:
(first one blade off, to show)
Huv å.JPG
Then installed:
Huv ø.JPG
Champion V8
Over 400 Posts!

Post by Champion V8 »

Ah yeah, I forgot to say that the damage I thought I saw when I looked under it was less easy to see once it wa out & upside-down; after I'd cleaned it I still couldn't see any actual hole, but when I heated it with the gas 3 spots skowed more orange color than the yellow so I had to cover the whole area with lead & that's why the solder area became as big as it did.
Champion V8
Over 400 Posts!

Post by Champion V8 »

Engine running & temp raising it started leaking at a new spot; on the top, solderd that too & now it works!
P1020759 - kopia.JPG
P1020761.JPG
P1020763.JPG
So finaly she's got her lights back, indicators later, & electric wires connected again!
P1020764.JPG
Now for the plating...
Champion V8
Over 400 Posts!

Post by Champion V8 »

I thought I might as well take a picture of the resaon to leaning the rad as much as I did; to get it as high as possible to avoid separate tank for the cooling water the lower hose comes pretty much direct on the "U" seat that now don't hold any radiator but still holds the fenders:
Huv v.JPG
Champion V8
Over 400 Posts!

Post by Champion V8 »

've been re-thinking about the grille opening... If I open wide out to the sides I have to fab a lot of plating inside the grille holes to direct the air into the radiator & since it's so shallow that would be difficult. So lazy as I am, being so awfully old these days, I've decided to go for narrow openings & higher in the middle so now I've been designing again, hard to do on the computer but that's what I have:
HuvTestH.JPG
Mike Van Veghten

Mmmm, needs less of a "smile" somehow !

The narrower opening is fine, just drop the outer ends. I know that it will make work to the hood, or add surrounding metal, but..!

Mike
Champion V8
Over 400 Posts!

Post by Champion V8 »

You might be right there Mike, I was thinking a bit 50-51 grille styled but I aint to sure either... So I'm gonna try again.
Yesterday was my free day as I don't work weekends but Sonja was alone & there were a lot of customers so I had to spend most of the day at the cafe' helping her, but today I was free enough to do the hood! Not as in cleaning & painting, but as in cutting off a bit at the rear & welding the rear piece on from the old one, that took a lot of time in thinking & cutting...
P1020771.JPG
P1020773.JPG
P1020777.JPG
P1020774.JPG
P1020775.JPG
P1020779.JPG
P1020780.JPG
P1020784.JPG
I aint done yet; I'm gonna cut a bit more on the top / new hood & weld more, I didn't weld any at all on top + some more on the underside.
Champion V8
Over 400 Posts!

Post by Champion V8 »

This is really me; "ok, I'll do it now!" & so at it I went:
HuvTestI.JPG