Josephine, a "Moparistic" -55 sedan

This forum is devoted to all topics concerning high performance, Non-Studebaker powered Studebakers.
Mike Van Veghten
Studebaker Racing Team Member

Re: Josephine, a "Moparistic" -55 sedan

Post by Mike Van Veghten »

Agreed, the last one.

Are you gonna put the, or a...bumper back on the car ?

Mike
Champion V8
Over 400 Posts!

Post by Champion V8 »

Yes I wanna have some kinda bumper, maby the bar I just took off if nothing else turns up.
Jessie J.
100 - 199 Posts

Post by Jessie J. »

The closer it gets to the '50 Champion grille, the better it looks (to me) :D Thought I'd let you know I'm still out here reading every day.
Champion V8
Over 400 Posts!

Post by Champion V8 »

Thanx Jessie, it's always nice to know my stuff is interesting for others! Sometimes I wonder...
At the moment I'm stuck due to lack of the right kind of steel, I need to go to the scrapyard some day.
Champion V8
Over 400 Posts!

Post by Champion V8 »

Since I might have to use Josephine to get to work tomorrow I had to adjust the hood hinges, I never had to do that before so it took some time... Then it was the angles of the indicators; since the front plating had been alterd a bit they pointed upwards-inwards so I had to cut the "pipes" they're screwed on to & I was lucky enough to get both right the first time! There was only one try available, not enough material for mistakes.
The hood lock will have to wait as I have to cut & weld the piece the lock sits in to get it to grip so I tied a band to hold the hood in place & it's only a short & slow drive.
Jessie J.
100 - 199 Posts

Post by Jessie J. »

Hope the band you use is VERY strong. Studebaker’s of these body styles are notorious for having their hoods flip over on to the roof.
Securing with chain or steel cable is advisable. Good luck.
Champion V8
Over 400 Posts!

Post by Champion V8 »

I've had that happend but it was a Citroen DS, the hood is aluminium so it's light enough, it does have two latches, one on each front corner, it was my dads car so I wasn't responsible. Those Citroens have, like some SAABs, a really curved windshield (so it's aerodynamic even when one is looking from above) so when it lifts it's easy to see the road under the rear bit of the hood that's laying spreaded over the roof!
Oh, I remember a few years ago with my little Citroen also
GastonSnø.JPG
me & Ozzian on a loong stretch & suddenly a "strange" sound & as that hood was matt black I thought for a spilt second that I had turned blind & after a while Ozzian said "I think we better stop"...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Champion V8
Over 400 Posts!

Post by Champion V8 »

I've been looking for some kind of plating to fill Josephines face gap, it had to be rounded to be bended under a bit.
& I've thought about using some roof, trunklid or hood from some 50's design & since I'm in Volvo-&-SAAB-coutry I found the Volvo Amazon/121/122 trunklid the best & easiest to use. So I've kept looking at spareparts ads but the prices starts at about 50$ with rust & so on...
Yesterday a friend told me today was the classic vehicle market (a really good one) in a vilage about 30 km from here so today I went & pretty early in the market I spotted an Amazon trunklid & thought it would probably be expensieve since it was rust free... So I almost walked on... But then I asked anyway & he said 20$!!! & I didn't even see another one at the whole market & it's a BIG market.
So imagen this one, short/low area down:
FrontPlåten.JPG
& later on, cut down:
P1020847.JPG
It's not fastend yet, gonna go easy & find a way to cut the openings ? also stiffen it up, I might have to buy some steel strips to make it strong. Thou it's very strong stuff already...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Mike Van Veghten

That's thinken !
Great idea. That saved you a ton of time trying to put a contour into a flat sheet, and a lot more even too.

Mike
Champion V8
Over 400 Posts!

Post by Champion V8 »

Yes, that was the plan that fell thru faster & cheaper than I thought. CASO style bigtime...
The dots on the top of it is weldingspots as I had to put a piece there to make it straight, it was curved before. & it's not up/in enough on the underside but that'll probably come today.

I have a small "problem" thou; this time I wanna bolt it to the fenders & that might be hard to figure out a way that satisfies me. Then I'll also need steel strips to keep it in shape when I open the grille holes.
Champion V8
Over 400 Posts!

Post by Champion V8 »

To "get the feel for it" I get stuck on the compter trying to see what I have to do to the new plate & looking at previous tryings I wonder... But maby this is the way..?
HuvTestN.JPG
Champion V8
Over 400 Posts!

Post by Champion V8 »

As days go by with other stuff interupting, such as usual visits, I just started today again & discoverd the soldering at the bottom of the rad started leaking very little but that's to much so I hat to remove it, turn it upside down & solder it again, it was really hard to get a spot clean; as soon as I thought it good enough & no dirt to be seen it was anyway some black stuff coming up but after I-don't-know-how-many-times it finaly seemed alright, so I installed it again.
Then it's the new plate; I took a wee bit much of at what now is the top, I wanted it to meet the hood's drop nose but because of the way it bends under in a good way I can't move it up more... So it's about one inch gap... Maby I'll put a bar across that goes between & fill that gap. Maby...
Anyway, I laso thought it might be better for cooling but maby not look better to open the grille holes a bit more downwards so I made a new scetch of that:
HuvTestO.JPG
Mike Van Veghten

Give the lower edges that 50-51 look again, see how that works.
With the lower edge lower near the center and higher on the outer edges. Leave the long "beak" on the hood center.

One note on the hood center beak, be sure to make that part of the grill/lower panel, Otherwise you'll be crashing your head or even your back on it every time that you open the hood !!

Mike
Champion V8
Over 400 Posts!

Post by Champion V8 »

Yeah, there's already enough to scratch ones head with the bit on the hood, I removed the latch that was hanging down, gonna figure out another lock. So you think it might be better like this?:
HuvTestH.JPG
r1lark
200 - 399 Posts

Post by r1lark »

Champion V8 wrote: 07 Sep 2022, 02:54 Yeah, there's already enough to scratch ones head with the bit on the hood, I removed the latch that was hanging down, gonna figure out another lock. So you think it might be better like this?:
HuvTestH.JPG
Not so sure about this one nox. Too much of a 'smile' for me. :shock:
Paul
Visit The Studebaker Skytop Registry at: http://www.studebakerskytop.com