Josephine, a "Moparistic" -55 sedan

This forum is devoted to all topics concerning high performance, Non-Studebaker powered Studebakers.
Mike Van Veghten
Studebaker Racing Team Member

Re: Josephine, a "Moparistic" -55 sedan

Post by Mike Van Veghten »

Mmm, like Paul says, no too much !
A little narrower opening, and put about half the material back in to the lower edge.

Mike
Champion V8
Over 400 Posts!

Post by Champion V8 »

I made a compromise of this one:
HuvTestN.JPG
& thise one:
HuvTestO.JPG
& came up with this:[/b]
HuvTestP.JPG

(took a day at work befor I got to it)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Champion V8
Over 400 Posts!

Post by Champion V8 »

I've been a wee bit nervous & carefull but this was the evening when I started cuting the holes!
It's gonna be a little bit bigger; I've saved 1,5cm for bending inwards + the corners aint cut yet...
Here's what the plate looked like mounted before cut:
Huv ø d.JPG
& then:
Huv ø f.JPG
Huv ø g.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
shifter44
Over 400 Posts!

Post by shifter44 »

HuvTestO copy.JPG

I was just playing around with my limited computer tools and did this above .
It's fun even without a special program .
I've really enjoyed your ongoing Saga .
If you can't get there in a STUDEBAKER,
it ain't worth goin' .

Bill H .
Mike Van Veghten

Hmm, tried to do a cut and paste...didn't work ! I can't work this site !

Anyway, first pictures on this page, the bottom (third), black and white photo looks by far the best to me.
Narrow it up a bit so the opening is about as wide as the hood, see how that looks.

Mike
Champion V8
Over 400 Posts!

Post by Champion V8 »

In the mid 70's there was an Volvo Amazon at a custom car show that had the grille just as you shows Bill, but I think I'll stick to my idea & that's the one Mike describes. & to narrow the ends so the outer edges of the roundings are in the same level as the hood might be a good idea... It's at least another idea!
Jeff Rice
Global Moderator

Post by Jeff Rice »

Superb thinking to make up pic's of 'ideas'.....
Some things you work at and they don't 'work'..
Some things you stumble on and they 'work'.
Sometimes... Sometimes you just have to do what YOU like.
There is a peril (and possibly a joy) in flushing your ideas out on the Internet.
That's brave.....
Love your work!
Jeff 8)
Champion V8
Over 400 Posts!

Post by Champion V8 »

Thanx Jeff! (I love your work too & I find that much more impressive than mine)

When leaving for work this morning I saw rthe radiator leaking AGAIN!!! The same spot on the underside that I just re-solderd, got pretty sour about it but not many options; I filled as much water/antifreeze as I could, took an open container with me & drove to work & once there I put the container under in the area where it would drip... So when it was time to go home I pulled the container out from under the car & it was empty!
Some microbic stuff must have found its way.

& by the way; the lower edge of the grille openings are gonna be bended inwards, about 9/16 - 5/8 = 15mm/1,5cm. & it'll be straight as the photo shows, not as the "drawing" where it's curved.
& I also might just curve the lower outer sides of the grille holes, I think I'll like that:
(to bad I've cut to much off, I'll have to weld in new material)
HuvTestQ.JPG
& I have to fit the bumper again, it was stormy here today, don't want the numberplate to blow away from the windscreen wiper, the pipe I used before will have to do for that reason...
Mike Van Veghten

Yeah...

Not too big, not too small.
A little bit of "smile" but not too much.

You'll just need some, behind the opening duct work to direct the air into the radiator core, rather than, around it.

I like it.

Mike
Champion V8
Over 400 Posts!

Post by Champion V8 »

Yes I'll need some plates between the front & rad, before I had two electric fans then the flow didn't matter much but now I've put an ordinary fan on so now I will need that. & this time I've fastend the front plate with screws; easy to remove.
Champion V8
Over 400 Posts!

Post by Champion V8 »

The stuff one can do when one is having a kindhearted boss; Sonja, it was raining this morning (first time for about 8 veeks!) & that means that the customers wouldn't come running in big heaps so I got a couple hours free to fasten the "bumper" & licenseplate & that I did + cut & welded at the lower / outer rounded corners too.
Now it really shows that the holes differ in high in the outer ends:
P1020852.JPG
It's hard to see the bumper pipe thou... Then I went to work in drizzeling rain.

Today I recieved the (4!) front whell cylinders + hoses so tomorrow I'll make missus Chrysler happy too!
Champion V8
Over 400 Posts!

Post by Champion V8 »

So the Chrysler sure is happier now. I've had cars with two brake cylinders on each front wheel before but never such a difficult system to work on, I'm sure the guy who came up with this system came from the Mercedes technical division... It's not a bad system but way to complicated; two plates holding the shoes in place sideways (that's a well working system thou) but these plates are screwed with bolts going thru the backing plate & fasten with nuts on the inner side of the spindle! & here's the exiting bit: You must get that lose to get the brake cylinders out!!!
& the cylinders are slided on to & grips both plates at the end where the connecting pipe are connected.
P1020860.JPG
See how deep the cylinder sits:
P1020861.JPG
I also made Josephine's grille openings same size this evening:[/b]
P1020865.JPG
Mike Van Veghten

Ok...now that you have a grill opening shape...
Is there a plan yet on what to fill it with ? Also, will you be adding some sort of surround between the "grill" and the body panel ?

Ha...all new questions..!

Mike
Champion V8
Over 400 Posts!

Post by Champion V8 »

At the moment I'm not sure how to continue, I had in mind to bend 1,5 cm of the white inwards & ad a similar plate at the curves but now I have a feeling that the holes might get to high... Not sure about leaving it like this either cuz then I'll have to weld a strip all the way like the corner strips I'm planning... Not sure what to do either way, it'll have to wait a few days.
In the holes I'm planning to put bars I have laying from the Chrysler that was under the old grille just above the bumper, seen here hunder the indicators:
A16 - Kopia.jpg
Jessie J.
100 - 199 Posts

Post by Jessie J. »

'50 Champion "egg crates" (or similar) and perhaps even the infamous Studebaker "bullet" would be my choice. Keeping strong the unique Studebaker identity. Just me, and every one that knows me, knows I'm just plain nutz. :D