Josephine, a "Moparistic" -55 sedan

This forum is devoted to all topics concerning high performance, Non-Studebaker powered Studebakers.
Champion V8
Over 400 Posts!

Re: Josephine, a "Moparistic" -55 sedan

Post by Champion V8 »

Figured out a trick some days ago so now I'm better, not good, but better! & ofcourse I went to work a bit on Josephine's radiator instal yesterday + some at the Chrysler steering, not much, but a wee bit... Pictures soon.
Mike Van Veghten
Studebaker Racing Team Member

Post by Mike Van Veghten »

Good to hear.
Now...get back to work !!!

Mike
Champion V8
Over 400 Posts!

Post by Champion V8 »

Getting back to work, any work, aint easy since it's cold & as soon as I go out I get worse again after a while...
So one day I had cut pieces for the sides of the radiator, some day later I got out 4 bolts, 4 nuts, drilled 4 holes & bolted it to the rad, then I thought that next day I would weld the plates to the pieces already on the car from before but next day I saw that I had to mount the electric fans first & so it goes; I hadn't done that yet cuz it's way to cold, it's been -6c to -9c for some days now.
But while I played with Carmenzita today I took photos, not much topicwize, only one :
P1030100.JPG
Then I took this one too:
(the black barndoor is where it all happens, but not now)
P1030102.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Mike Van Veghten

The pond..."almost"...frozen ?
Well...you gonna play with me or not..?

What fans are you using ?
I like the big wide blades, they should pull a lot of air, not just spin through it.

Mike
Champion V8
Over 400 Posts!

Post by Champion V8 »

The ice is easily thick enough for Carmenzita to walk on but not for me, Ozzian who's 12 years old tried & it was just enough for him. & yes; "what's the meaning of living without playing?" is Carmenzita's moto...

The fans are from one of Sonja's ex Subaru's, I think the econd one, a Outback from 2001. (she's on her 4:th now, all same year, model & color exept one that was blue)
Here she's waiting for one to disapear as a parts car to a friend:
003.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Mike Van Veghten

That's unusual. Finding the "same" car and buying it as your next car !

Although...I do have two blue Conestogas ! But one is all light blue, the other is light and dark blue, all factory colors, the two tone car is still in factory paint. The light blue car (below) is a factory color, but has been repainted.
540199m2.jpg
Mike
Champion V8
Over 400 Posts!

Post by Champion V8 »

I REALLY like youe Conestogas Mike! Wouldn't mind at all a picture of the other one too... Is it the two-tone that has the special hood?

Today was a different kind of day as I went back to work, couldn't do much but did it anyway & had to lay down on the floor for a while & that felt good as it was in sunshine... So when I came home I thought I would at least try something small, & so I did.
I aint got a clue about how I managed to fit both fans earlier so I figured I would only use one now; the 5-bladed one. & then I'll see what happens when the weather gets warmer. I wanted to screw it to the bar that holds the wiring connector but how..? I also need the fan to be high enough at the bottom to leave room for the trans cooling piping to get between the bottom of fan & the U that used to hold the original radiator... That ment I had to try different ways for the top bar (that hold the electric connector) & that took a few different tryuouts...
In the end it had to be placed to driver side to also leave room for the lower tadiator hose, now it looks like this:
P1030103.JPG
& yes, I had to weld a vertical bar to mount it on too.
Champion V8
Over 400 Posts!

Post by Champion V8 »

Oh, forgot to mention & this slows me down a bit; a while ago I was gonna move the trans cooling pipes out of the way & managed bending one a bit to much... So yesterday I was gonna cut it & make a new flange, it's to long anyway, so I did that... & then discoverd I did it on the wrong one that wasn't not that much to long. So now I have to go shopping...
Champion V8
Over 400 Posts!

Post by Champion V8 »

My back felt better today so after work & dinner I went at it a bit again. It was some work to fit the radiator in a good enough possition; not to low from the hood but still high enough without touching the hood, that took some time with wooden pieces as shims under the rad & angle it proper; I have to have it slanted forward at the bottom so the lower hose goes clear from the "U" that the original radiator sat in. I can't use the "U" now with this hood due to the radiator being flat at the top, not like an original shaped rad that would be shaped "like a house" with its outer sides slanted & more following the shape of the hood.
So then as I already had the side plates screwed on to the rad I welded it all in place, then I unbolted the rad & welded the nuts on the inner side of the side plates.
I also had to make a new support for the wiring connector (for the lights) piece cuz I've changed the support balk that runs between the upper top of the "U".
Sorry, no pictures of any of it today, maby tonorrow.
Next step now is to go & get pipes I broke for the trans cooling, I also need it for the Chrysler; I suddenly discoverd a while ago that there wasn't any trans cooling at all on the Chrysler!
There used to be another system on the early torqflites that used to be in the car originaly, they just didn't bother about that when they swapped engine & gearbox... :x
Good thing is that Josephine's old rad I used before is as BIG as the Chrysler rad & like new so that'll go in.
Mike Van Veghten

Just like the Stude auto trans., the standard car did not have external cooling. The police and taxi cabs I believe had cooling, maybe even some of the Avantis had cooling, but the daily driver type Studebakers had no transmission cooling.

Mike
Champion V8
Over 400 Posts!

Post by Champion V8 »

I started a thread on the Forward Look forum about the transmission cooling & before -56 MoPar had air colled trans but -56 they had water cooled, pipes going into a "tank" by the water pump where the lower hose connected to:
(after -56 they had it in the radiator)
Original 56TransCool.jpg
It's been way to cold to do much on Josephine the last two days but before that I made & welded a plate to cover the big gap beside the radiator, it's curved to direct the air even thou it don't show on the picture:
z 14dec2022.JPG
If you compare with this pic you can see what's the sides for mounting the rad:
z 13dec2022.JPG
Champion V8
Over 400 Posts!

Post by Champion V8 »

& cold weater or not, Carmenzita refuse to see any problem with playing outside...
16dec2022.JPG
P1030107.JPG
Mike Van Veghten

Yeah, looks happy, I dare you to take this stick ! How about in a foot of snow ?

Mike
Champion V8
Over 400 Posts!

Post by Champion V8 »

I only have film clips of her going crazy in a lot of snow, no pictures.

While my back is slowly healing the coold weather got even coolder & caused the hot water pipe to freeze + that the pump for all water has stopped twice now due to ice in some pipe somewhere... Exiting-in-a-bad-way weather! & it's all due to the crises; we changed from effective but expencive oil to pellets a few years ago & now the cost of pellets has become 150% more expensive the last 6 months so we only use our old (from 1927) wood heater that has a ecofan for most of the house + a small electric radiator in out bedroom.
In my opinion it's seriously stupid to live this far north & I would never had moved back here if it would've only been up to me but Sonja was firm about it.
& in all other aspects exept winter she's right...
& it could've been worse if we wouldn't have settled in he south of Sweden. (but that was my saying about us moving back; as far south as possible!)

Maaan, if the weather only would turn warm so I could get the cars in working order soon!
Champion V8
Over 400 Posts!

Post by Champion V8 »

Now we're up just south of Gøteborg at Sonja's parents house since the 24:th & today I went to my favorite speedshop "Roger's Custom" to get a pair of Cal Custom valve covers, a steering wheel hub & intake manifold gaslets...
The valve covers were all gone exept one sitting on the wall & there's no others for sale on any other swedish speedshp! :cry:
& he was out of hubs too & Grant don't make them anymore so what abou the gaskets..? Yup; out of those too!
I bought the single valve cover, hope to find one more, it's old enough to even have the California text on the inside, not Taiwan.

When I got back at the house I directly orderd the hub & gaskets from another good small speedshop up north, feels silly to have to pay for shipping when I'm used to get stuff over the counter.

Hans who runs Rogers Custom is getting old now & he's on his own & want someone to take over but so far nobody's been willing. He asked me but I don't wanna live 300 km more north than I live now, otherwise I'd loved it! The company goes back to about 1964 & the walls are full of flake steeringwheels, flake hood scoopes & Cal Custom shifter handles, pedals & all sorts of old stuff.