Josephine, a "Moparistic" -55 sedan

This forum is devoted to all topics concerning high performance, Non-Studebaker powered Studebakers.
Mike Van Veghten
Studebaker Racing Team Member

Re: Josephine, a "Moparistic" -55 sedan

Post by Mike Van Veghten »

I "used" to have a "Super Shops" (nationwide speed shop) about 2 miles from me. It was open for about 4, maybe 5 years as I recall. Then with Summit and Jegs mail order catalog stores opening, and "mail order" in general going crazy, the whole Super Shops couldn't keep up and closed.

There is a "Service Center" (also open from the old days, 1970's) shop about 15 miles away, and a J & M about 40 miles away. There's an "outlet type shop about 25 miles away, but it's order only, not much on the shelves. So that's just like a Summit or Jegs to me.
The Service Center that's still open... I've called then several times, to ask if they have something in stock. I'm told...yes. Only to get there, to find, no they "don't have it." Why did you tell me that you had the parts. "I'm sorry" is all I get told ! So yeah, I don't go or call there anymore. I don't understand how they stay open. The times that I;ve been there, there's never anyone in the shop! Their phone service is horrible...but...they are still open !
But yeah...not much Studebaker stuff in a current speed parts shop anyway. So...I call summit, and get the parts that I need within three days. ALMOST...as good as having an actual shop nearby.

Christmas day where I am...81° !! Raining right now. Has been most all day.
Champion V8
Over 400 Posts!

Post by Champion V8 »

Ah, well the swedish speedshops are all real stores so people can go there & buy parts over the counter. US car owners in Sweden are bullheaded & get sour if thing change, even most of those who runs the shops.
Exept for Hansen Racing in Stockholm; once there was a guy from Denmark (Carl Hansen) who due to hook up with a swedish gal moved to Stockholm, drove Studebakers, orderd speedparts from US & started a speedshop called Hansen Racing, I think it was in 1965. Then in the early 80's his youpie sons took over & it wasn't as nice shop anymore & now they're gone too & it's like a mafia that provides bigger non-US-car-part-speedshops around the country with US car parts so they reach anyone anywhere. But you can still go to the actuall shop & get stuff over the counter where pumped up muscular guys coverd with "cool" tattoos stands but you can't order from them on internet as a private person; that's for companies only so you have to go directly to them or order by/from some other shop... So if you don't live in Stockholm you avoid them & order from others.
They (Hansen Racing) started one year later then Rogers Custom.
Hans on Rogers Custom is a real nice guy thou, he treats you friendly & if you're a old customer you even get prices from the 70's! If I didn't live so far away I'd be the future owner of R.C. & that wouldn't feel to bad...

& yes, it's raining here too, was a few snowflakes this night but the rain has cleaned that off now.
Still; soon it'll be SPRING!
Champion V8
Over 400 Posts!

Post by Champion V8 »

It seems Cal Custom aint making any finned alu valve covers anymore, I've googled without finding any. Just as well maby since swedes I've talked to has had troubles with paying by paypal. (I thought I at last would be rid of the "MoPar Performance" text on Josephine's valve covers)
I have ordinary tin covers laying + one chrome set on the Chrysler but they always leak a bit & I have to carefully knock them back in shape & after a while they just get flimsy.
Here's our new fambly member:
P1030128.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Mike Van Veghten

I just did a quick search over here.

Summit Racing carries, Offenhauser, Edelbrock, Mr. Gasket (2 styles), of cast, finned rocker covers, and a couple of different, welded sheet metal type Chrysler rocker covers.
The Offenhauser, Edelbrock and one style of Mr. Gasket are "similar"...to the Cal Custom, but not a direct match.

Watching e-Bay is your best bet for pair of Cal Custom covers, but be prepared to pay..!

Mike
Champion V8
Over 400 Posts!

Post by Champion V8 »

Yes Mike, it seems you're right. So many times I've wanted to buy a pair but thought I couldn't afford it & now it was to late... I've made some ads on some swedish sites that I need one but I'm not gonna hold my breath.
(if I was into rat rodding I would use it as a piece of dashboard or floor gearshifter column but rat rodding aint my style even if I sometimes find it interesting; I think cars with air suspension looks like the spring mounts have rusted thru & broken cars don't do it for me)
I took a slightly better picture while hoping to find another one:
CalCustom.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Champion V8
Over 400 Posts!

Post by Champion V8 »

At last most of the pain is gone & we've been up north-west 300km to Sonja's parents over x-mas & now the cafe' is open from today & I've already worked there 3 days to prepare.
So yesterday I finaly had time to hook up the trans piping that I extended; I went to a camper shop & bought connectors, they're for propane so they hold good & super tight.
Took pictures after I was done, 1:st one from up under:
P1030167.JPG
Then one from above:
P1030168.JPG
Mike Van Veghten

Your new lines are not...supported anywhere re they ?
With the engine moving (torque / load) the engine will rock, up and down from the left side, and will move your new lines. If they are solidly supported, they will eventually leak or even may break.

Lots of movement capability is a good thing.
But you knew this...right ?

Mike
Champion V8
Over 400 Posts!

Post by Champion V8 »

Yes Mike, I know that from many years & at the front of the engine there's an original bracket that holds them, it's fasten by the timing cover.
I discoverd a while ago that the people who put the same kinda engine & gearbox in the Chrysler had just put a hose between in & out on the trans since there was no cooling for the trans on the radiator & the pipe support was also missing, but I had one (maby two, I'm not sure) laying so now one lays by the Chrysler waiting to be mounted when I do the piping there.
The original -56 trans cooling was a "box" by the water pump.
Champion V8
Over 400 Posts!

Post by Champion V8 »

I got me a surprise just now this evening when I filled up the radiator, after I started the engine & it had run a while I raised the revs a bit for the flow & as is was a bit dark under the hood I saw a yellow light when I reved & as I looked behind the alternator I saw the alternator's fat cable's connection GLOWING!!!
Shut off the engine fast & took off the cable, cleaned it all & put a new nut & washer on.
But this is what the old nut-&-welded-together-washer looks like:
P1030174.JPG
Just for the feel of it all; day before yesterday coming home from work:
P1030171.JPG
Champion V8
Over 400 Posts!

Post by Champion V8 »

Since a while back we've been suffering from broken heating system in our house cuz it froze. Now it's finaly fixed so today I could weld the last (I hope) wind directing plates by the radiator on Josephine. & when I had done that I moved her to the small carport. (I don't know if you call a garage without door carport? In Sweden we do)
So then I moved Nils's car forward to do some work on it, parked cars aint much good!
But then a gale started blowing so I had to close the barn doors & then it was time for food anyway so I'll probably be at it tomorrow. & Josephine will have to do usual service as daily driver. Here's a pick of Nils's after moving it forward:
ä 15jan2023 b.JPG
r1lark
200 - 399 Posts

Post by r1lark »

Are you going to purchase Nil's Studebaker? You had mentioned earlier that it had 'come available'.
Paul
Visit The Studebaker Skytop Registry at: http://www.studebakerskytop.com
Champion V8
Over 400 Posts!

Post by Champion V8 »

I wouldn't mind, he wants me to cuz he has to much other stuff going on in his life & he's been sick too; to much work, he's a teacher, & a daughter that's amin for wrong direction. But I don't wanna take the car from him as he's had it since the mid 90's, so I wanna get it going as fast as possible to have him drive it & maby later it could be mine.

& as for myself & my life; I have to get rid of some other car first as I have Josephine & the Chrysler + Lenore, a Citroen AK400 (=2cv van) that needs a lot of work... I'm not yet experianced enough with the Chrysler, it's not possible for me to let go yet.

& Lenore has a special history:
In 2001 I saw her first, & later on I got t know the woman who owned her, she also had a ship & we were harbour neighbours. About 2004 she had it sitting for some years in the wild (with bushes growing inside!) & since she knew I wanted it (I used to have another one earlier) I got to buy it in 2005. It was in a pretty bad condition; I had to replace sills, big pieces of the floor. the lower half of the b-pillar, the rear inner fenders & some more... But it ran good.
Later on my friend Åke in Sweden wanted it & since Sonja wanted a Volvo Duett (google is yer pal) I sold it to him. A few years back he caught cancer & died real fast & so Lenore became mine again. But now she's been sitting in a field for quite some years...
(Åke also had, among other cars, a Volvo Duett & before he died he gave it to Sonja)

Here's Lenore during rebuild, in good driving condition with our Acadiane "WoodooBarbie", the way she is now & the way her interior looked when I bought her:
Lenore 4.JPG
Lenore & WoodooBarbie 8.JPG
Lenore situation.JPG
Lenore 2.JPG
Mike Van Veghten

Funny...decisions...decisions.
I'm going through the same thing with one of my other hobbies.

High end air guns (shoots pellets). There's a used one up for sale that I'd really...like to have, and then, there's a new rifle coming to market that...I'd like to have...

One or the other, or...eat peanut butter sandwiches for a month and get both ??

Mike
Champion V8
Over 400 Posts!

Post by Champion V8 »

With yelly on it might work, the sandwiches that is...

Just ran into a problem that Nils & me have "looked the other way" from for a looong time; the wiring is cut(!) where it comes out in the engine bay:
P1030210 - kopia.JPG
& we aint got a clue what's what cuz it's done by someone else, maby someone here knows some?
Mike Van Veghten

Ouch...

Time to dig into the wiring schematics / diagrams, carefully clean the wire ends so you can see the colors and start with some splicing.
One lucky thing, the Studebaker cars wiring is pretty simple, so you have that in your favor.

Best of luck !

Mike