Josephine, a "Moparistic" -55 sedan

This forum is devoted to all topics concerning high performance, Non-Studebaker powered Studebakers.
Champion V8
Over 400 Posts!

Re: Josephine, a "Moparistic" -55 sedan

Post by Champion V8 »

Ah, they did GOOD Paul, thanx for asking! ;) Here they are, just stopped, selling stuff in front of Sonja & her friends cafe' stand:
6-6-2022 c.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Mike Van Veghten
Studebaker Racing Team Member

Post by Mike Van Veghten »

NOX -

Be sure to use stable spacers when you do the offset of your alternator.
A stack of used flat / bent washers will change thickness over time, and the vibration of the alternator. A solid standoff or spacer might be found at your local hardware store.

Mike
Champion V8
Over 400 Posts!

Post by Champion V8 »

Yes, I know that Mike. I have thick pipes that I use for this & at first I just put back the washers that was already there, then I replaced the washers; there was a lot of mounting & trying back & forth.
Champion V8
Over 400 Posts!

Post by Champion V8 »

I've been draging on cutting but this afternoon I got to it:
Indicator a.JPG
Indicator b.JPG
Indicator c.JPG
So maby tomorrow the other side...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Champion V8
Over 400 Posts!

Post by Champion V8 »

Took a few days & I thought it would be easier the second time but nooo... So today I wnet for it.
The first one I could more or less just put in without much thoughts about angles, or so I thought... :oops:
That one ended up slightly slanted, it was difficult to see due to the tapperd shape as in becoming narrower towards the rear... & now I had to messure not only the distance from the grille & hight from the headlight but also the distance on the side from the fender trim.
& I aint sure I got it right compared to the first one.
So I avoid taking the picture from a distance at a lower angle for now, don'nt wanna see the bad angle... If there is one... For now...
Indicator e.JPG
Champion V8
Over 400 Posts!

Post by Champion V8 »

So it's all done exept for connecting the wiring, in the end it was almost one inch wide distance at the middle & here's what it looks like now inside the plastic "glass":
P1020575.JPG
Champion V8
Over 400 Posts!

Post by Champion V8 »

Sometimes thing just goes good & sometimes... eh...
Since the fuel prices has raised for a while now we drive less, Sonja bikes to the cafe as much as she can when she don't need to bring big or heavy stuff & we think twize before driving any direction at all but the other day when I drove back home from the cafe I heard Josephine's electric fuel pump & it was time to fill up a bit & as I saw the price was down I took 98 octane & was happy.
Next day we went with Sonja's Subaru to her parents, 300 km north, for midsummer & such & the day after coming back she said it smelled like gas from Josephine... so I looked under & sure enough; it dripped from the outgoing pipe of the tank. So I put a cut open oil canister under & today I gotta take care of it. I've had problems with the threads where the pipe attatches to the tank, they're in a bad state, but now it seems to come from up higher on the pipe.

Then I've "forgot" to continue with the brake work on the Chrysler & I noticed the car didn't roll as easy as it used to & when I started with the wiring for the indicators I took off the front wheels & gee how the right one was braking hard & the left one a bit too... So now I'm trying to get these parts & they're 3/4 more expensive here than direct from rockauto so I've asked the same pal that got the shims for angling the rear axel to figure out the best way to shipp & the costs for that + customs.

Being in the Gøteborg area I also stopped by Nils & got a few parts for his Starlight, such as the thing that attatches to the rear of the engine for the gas pedal to carb linkage, two vent windows & a bunch of other stuff... One being a ignition coil from the fifties that I gave him when we moved from Sweden among loads of other stuff, gonna take a photo of it so you'll see... Beauty it is!

So that's where I am now & from yesterday, new month, I'm working full time so less time for all this + the work on the house, & that's a LOT!
Mike Van Veghten

Wow, and we, at least I...thought the US were the ones with the majority of the price increases.

Seems everything is about twice as much in cost as it was about a year and a half ago. Gas, groceries, even cat food !

I haven't done much car work lately, except go to a coupla races. I've gotta get back on my "driver" Conestoga, get it back on the road ! I did get a couple of my aluminum, Chrysler, (modified for the Stude engine) manifolds filled with epoxy to make them work correctly, but that's about it, the last few months.

Mike
shifter44
Over 400 Posts!

Post by shifter44 »

Inflation is a World Wide problem currently .

https://news.yahoo.com/world-bank-chief ... 13290.html

At least all of us that have squirreled a lot of parts and pieces away over the previous years , are now able to benefit , having paid relatively better prices back then .
If you can't get there in a STUDEBAKER,
it ain't worth goin' .

Bill H .
Champion V8
Over 400 Posts!

Post by Champion V8 »

Well I think people ought to go by bicycle more; it don't cost more than food & drink & you get quite far for the effort, sadly I have a seriously bad knee & had two surgeries already on it, but I used to bike a lot & far.

Today I emptied the gas tank on Josephine, gona drive her on LPG now, have been to lazy before, the LPG station is 10 km away, half way to town.

& thanx for replies, I get happy as a kid everytime!
:D
Champion V8
Over 400 Posts!

Post by Champion V8 »

& by the way Mike; do you find it easier to post pictures here? I'm really curious...
Mike Van Veghten

Well...apparently not !

I've posted pictures in the past, but that was a long time back.
I tried using the little "stamp" above, with zero results. Nothing happened.
I just tried a "click, slide and drop". That..."may"...work, but a note comes up saying that the file is too large.

I'll cut a coupla shots down in size tomorrow and see what happens.

Mike
Champion V8
Over 400 Posts!

Post by Champion V8 »

Aha, I have difficulties everytime I've changed camera cuz they're usualy bigger in size so the I have to figure out, with help from someone else ofcourse since I'm really bad at that, how to downsize direct in the camera. But I still keep them pretty big for sometimes use for other stuff so after I've imported them I have to downsize direct after in my computer too... & so on...
& yeah, I remember your pix from adding of another hood on the hood.
r1lark
200 - 399 Posts

Post by r1lark »

Champion V8 wrote: 02 Jul 2022, 15:26 Well I think people ought to go by bicycle more; it don't cost more than food & drink & you get quite far for the effort, sadly I have a seriously bad knee & had two surgeries already on it, but I used to bike a lot & far.

Today I emptied the gas tank on Josephine, gona drive her on LPG now, have been to lazy before, the LPG station is 10 km away, half way to town.

& thanx for replies, I get happy as a kid everytime!
:D
Nox, how much is LPG compared to the gasoline, to go the same number of miles?
Paul
Visit The Studebaker Skytop Registry at: http://www.studebakerskytop.com
Champion V8
Over 400 Posts!

Post by Champion V8 »

I never botherd counting the difference but LPG is enough cheaper than gas so it's worth it even if the car uses a bit more & aint got as much power as with gas. It's easy to put weaker springs in the distributer to make up for the lost power but as I drive on gas sometimes & LPG sometimes I just leave as it is.
& Josephine burns rubber easy enough anyway.

Today I finaly cleaned up, painted, put sealer on all the welds & sprayed thin undercoating on the inside-towards-the frame of the left side sill on the Chrysler, one of all those things I've been thinking "I'll do that later, soon"... & now I did!
A picture of a part before the final coat:
A27 V SparkLåda 11b.JPG
It gets quite sharp if you click on the pic!