Josephine, a "Moparistic" -55 sedan

This forum is devoted to all topics concerning high performance, Non-Studebaker powered Studebakers.
Champion V8
Over 400 Posts!

Re: Josephine, a "Moparistic" -55 sedan

Post by Champion V8 »

If it wasn't for the fact that I'm working full time now I'd be cleaning up the barn tomorrow enough to move Nils's coupe up to the balk I use for lifting engines as I wanna get his engine a bit forwars to mount the piece that (as I've been told fasten to the back of the engine) & connects the gas pedal to the carb...
P1020615.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Mike Van Veghten
Studebaker Racing Team Member

Post by Mike Van Veghten »

What a pain...
This is copied over from the Conestoga site.

I had the dash done in semi-gloss black, and mostly together. Then I got a "wild hair", so to speak and thought I'd cover it in vinyl. The first vinyl pattern that I bought, I actually like better, but this looks good with the sun shining on it. It's a "cast" carbon (not mat) fiber look. It looks much like chopped fiberglass mat, only it's chopped carbon fiber and pressed into a mold. That's the look of this vinyl.
For as easy as it looks to do...it took about 1-1/2 hours + to get it finished, not including the molding, which I finished after this picture.

The Commander dash in my running wagon is light blue like the body. I'll try to add a shot of that one later on.

Mike

NOX - Ha...full time work is a good thing. Congratulations.
Champion V8
Over 400 Posts!

Post by Champion V8 »

So there's a Conestoga site too..? Gonna check that out, thanx Mike!
Mike Van Veghten

Here ya go -
Kinda slow lately, has been actually. I'm the main moderator of the site, beside the owner.

The main Conestoga registry site -
http://studebakerconestoga.com/Studebak ... gistry.htm

The Conestoga forum page -
http://studebakerconestoga.com/phpBB3/index.php

MIke
Champion V8
Over 400 Posts!

Post by Champion V8 »

Oh thanx, I looked at it a wee bit just now, gonna check out more later. I think there's 3 Conestogas in Sweden now; two has been for many years & I think a third one appeared som few years ago.
& this got me thinking about a bright yellow -56 wagon with -55 front clip & Mopar 360 under the hood...
Mike Van Veghten

What, you guys Mopar crazy or sumthin ?

If you know the guy, tell him all wagons are welcome, not just the Conestoga's. That was only a two year car, 54 and 55. So they are petty limited.

Mike
Champion V8
Over 400 Posts!

Post by Champion V8 »

I know the Conestoga is 54-55 only, the reason the -56 came to mind is because it had the sb Mopar, it was in my early days here & I think I even asked if anyone here knew about it as I just had seen a pic of it but nobody seemed to know it.
Otherwise it seems every Studebaker guy is also a chevy guy because that was what Studebaker could afford the last two years, sad when one thinks about what US brand made the best sb V8 engines.
Champion V8
Over 400 Posts!

Post by Champion V8 »

Waited a few days for help to push Nils's coupe to where I can lift the engine but today I just connected my chain winch & "pulled it myself", but first the Chrysler out:
P1020618.JPG
Then I made a movie that I might show on surfacebook since I can't post it here, not sure yet about that thou.
So the pulling started:
P1020619.JPG
& so it was done!:[/b]
P1020620.JPG
Oh, it's gonna be sooo nice to get this done! Just imagine sitting inside manouvering the engine...
"Sitting"??? No seat yet...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Champion V8
Over 400 Posts!

Post by Champion V8 »

A non-Studebaker-topic is the two barrel GM carb someone mounted on the Chrysler's engine... Or maby it can be considerd Studebaker-topic thinking about the two last years Studebaker was made..?
Anyway; the bloddy (Oh, I cursed baaad me!) two barrel carb is a mystery to me as I removed the electric choke that wasn't connected anyway & blocked the pipes for the choke stuff & now the engine works as if some ignition cables aint sure if they're gonna carry electricity... I've googled a lot but can't find any explination how it would work with manual choke or how to change it from electric.
Maby I'll just buy gaskets & put the 4-barrel intake on & one of the carbs I have laying... But it used to run so nice before with this li'll carb & I don't need more, I just need it to operate proper!
Champion V8
Over 400 Posts!

Post by Champion V8 »

Seems I don't have to lift the engine forward to mount the carb linkage, funny I didn't get told by anybody, but it don't matter now as it feels good to move the stuff around & "clean up" a bit!
Thou it makes me wonder how the engineers figured it a good idea to use a head bolt for linkage mount...
Champion V8
Over 400 Posts!

Post by Champion V8 »

Just looked back at my first posts but the first pictures didn't show, there was just a small green & white thing but nothing happend when I clicked on them.
:(
Champion V8
Over 400 Posts!

Post by Champion V8 »

As I wrote on the SDC forum I need to make a new rod betweeen the gas pedal & carb linkage, the one that's on the car is for 6-cyl & it's to short as I've seen on these kind of pictures:
GasRod.jpg
& the one I have looks like this:[/b]
unnamed.jpg
Champion V8
Over 400 Posts!

Post by Champion V8 »

Now I've made this silver painted one
CarbLinkage 10.JPG
But the gear linkage for 2:nd & 3:rd gear is in the way so I'm gonna remove that for now to see if the gas works then & when it does & the car drives on 1:st & reverse gear I'll fix a gear rod that works.[/b]
shifter44
Over 400 Posts!

Post by shifter44 »

Good rigging job.

I have used a lot of various brackets and various hardware random pieces that i buy at a marine surplus store and even yard sales .
A cut here , a bend there , a little filing etc . The marine stuff looks good too when done as it's mostly aluminum or stainless etc .
If you can't get there in a STUDEBAKER,
it ain't worth goin' .

Bill H .
Mike Van Veghten

Isn't this what "Hot Rodding is ?
Make something out of nothing. Make an XX part (boat, tractor, airplane), or in my case, a satellite part (!) fit...a YY car.

This is all part of the fun. The experimentation, the ingenuity, the "I think I can" attitude..!

Go NOX...

Mike