Josephine, a "Moparistic" -55 sedan

This forum is devoted to all topics concerning high performance, Non-Studebaker powered Studebakers.
Champion V8
Over 400 Posts!

Re: Josephine, a "Moparistic" -55 sedan

Post by Champion V8 »

Thanx guys!
I usualy does this kinda stuff for myself, thou this was for Nils & his car, thou he's ok with it. He's the ship owner that got me & Sonja into ships in -93, but unlike us he still have a ship & he's never gonna let that go.
Now it's done & it coulda been worse, I'm just lucky to be a collector of "might come in handy stuff"...
Champion V8
Over 400 Posts!

Post by Champion V8 »

Took a while bending the rod in different directions but now it's there!
(thou I took the pic before I mounted it thru the bulkhead)
P1020659.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Champion V8
Over 400 Posts!

Post by Champion V8 »

Driving Josephine to work this morning I felt something under my T-shirt, quite bit big - thought it was a beetle - grabbed it & got stung for the first time in my 62 years of living by a wasp!
19juli2022 jet-ingstix.JPG
It managed to first sting me two little times at the front of my armpit & even thou the big one hurted most the other two ones made my muscle cramp & get swollen so after4 hours I couldn't work & went home & after 3 more hours it all let go, exiting life, eh....
qStøtfångarn 18.JPG
So then I put the bumper, bumperettes & licenseplate on the Chrysler, I'm tired of trying to get it perfect flat where the old holes used to be & the rust pittings, I'll take care of the later, car will run anyway![/b]
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
r1lark
200 - 399 Posts

Post by r1lark »

Love the 'new' look of the Chrysler!!
Paul
Visit The Studebaker Skytop Registry at: http://www.studebakerskytop.com
Champion V8
Over 400 Posts!

Post by Champion V8 »

I got to think about the 53-54 hood I could get for 100$ about a year or two ago, the owner has sold his Studebaker now so yeasterday I asked him about the hood & after some talking he said I can have it for 60$! So soon enough Josephine's look is gonna change...
But I'll have to drive 60 miles there & 60 miles back so I'll pick up a pair of rough Cragar s/s too.
Robban Heine.jpg
Champion V8
Over 400 Posts!

Post by Champion V8 »

Things haven't worked out as I thought it would, not enough time for any trip + that I found out that the Cragars had GM bolt pattern.

I came to think of something my dad told me; once he was gonna overtake with our -55 Commander Starlight & as he floored it the car just got real weak & he had to stop at a gas station where he discoverd the intake manifold had a crack so he just bought some plastic padding & sealed it. Now I wonder if anyone here has had that experiance or heard about it happen to someone others Studebaker V8?
Champion V8
Over 400 Posts!

Post by Champion V8 »

Went & got it today, took it home on my little trailer that's from 1957:
Huv b.JPG
Huv d.JPG
Huv e.JPG
Huv f.JPG
Lucky for me my pal Nils had the lock piece for a sedan laying, something he'd got when he started collecting parts for his coupe, so now it's mine:
Huv g.JPG
Champion V8
Over 400 Posts!

Post by Champion V8 »

I forgot the fact that the radiator is to high & wide! :cry: I can't tilt it more either & it's already much to low down & close to the ground...
But luckely Sonja has a sparepart Subaru so Josephine is gonna be even lighter up front & I like that = more racing style. 8)
Mike Van Veghten
Studebaker Racing Team Member

Post by Mike Van Veghten »

On your intake manifold question, no never heard of an intake cracking.
Exhaust, yes, but not the intake. BUT...as you know sometimes..."stuff" happens.

The new hood looks good. Now...you have to change the grill to match the Beak of the hood !

Mike
Champion V8
Over 400 Posts!

Post by Champion V8 »

Yep, I'm gonna change the whole front, but first I'll make the hood fit. Today I spend quite some time getting the rad outa Sonja's partscar, it's good she's into automatics so I don't have to go to a scrapyard & pay when I have it right on our own yard!
Removing the Ford truck rad was a big job as I've done different things different times, such as replacing the electric fan with two & I welded the front at different times & into one piece. I had to get the right fender off & losen the left one in front & lift it to get the radiator frame out with radiator & fans.
"Had" to take a pic of it:
Huv h.JPG
Tomorrow it's workday so I won't be doing much on her until evening, then it's time to fab something to hold the radiator. I also think I'll change the airfilter with LPG as I have some stuff that makes it look ugly in my opinion as it's a long & flat alu pipe thing made for cars with limited hight under the hood so the filter will hang out on one side. You'll see soon enough...
Mike Van Veghten

Wow...where the hell do get that much energy ?

Can you ship some my way ???

Mike
Champion V8
Over 400 Posts!

Post by Champion V8 »

"Energy"? It's just some inspiration cuz I've wanted this for a long time, & I'll come by as soon as the Atlantic freezes over!
r1lark
200 - 399 Posts

Post by r1lark »

Looks like Josephine is in for some major surgery!! Looking forward to following along via your posts nox.
Paul
Visit The Studebaker Skytop Registry at: http://www.studebakerskytop.com
Champion V8
Over 400 Posts!

Post by Champion V8 »

Thanx! Josephine & the Chrysler swapped places today & I've cut out some at the edges for the radiator so it fits now, gonna make fastening brackets tomorrow...
(I think I'ne punktured the rad... :cry:
Huv j.JPG
Mike Van Veghten

By the look of the photo above...

Remember, if the top of the radiator is below the highest water level in the engine, you'll need an expansion tank to get the water level up high like with the Avanti.

Mike