Josephine, a "Moparistic" -55 sedan

This forum is devoted to all topics concerning high performance, Non-Studebaker powered Studebakers.
Champion V8
Over 400 Posts!

Re: Josephine, a "Moparistic" -55 sedan

Post by Champion V8 »

I'm also nuts acording to just about everybody who knows me & the bullet nose is way cool in my opinion but then I prefer it on a 47-52 Starlight coupe, for Josephine I wanna have another look & that's a "swedish 60's custom style" but with a bit 53-54 Studebaker touch. If I get that is ofcourse something that remains to be seen...
:wink:
Jessie J.
100 - 199 Posts

Post by Jessie J. »

Looks like you are well on your way, and not a bit afraid to make those nips and tucks that will make it unique.
Champion V8
Over 400 Posts!

Post by Champion V8 »

Yes; on my way I am, even if it takes time...
Got some time for her today, started removing the rad on Thursday but had most tools in the Chrysler's trunk that sits at the cafe', but today I went there & got the tools that I've forgot 3 days "in a row". So I cleaned all the solderd lead off & vith air & soap water I found another leak; it was a crack, at the end of a dent, a sharp corner. Solderd that, pressuretested it & found it good. Cleaned, painted & put back in a g a i n . . .
She looks wild standing like this:
P1020873.JPG
Here's a thing I've seen since I started this new-hood-project; the radiator sits slanted even thou the plates on eash side are the same size & angles... Well she's been having a crash in her old days but it's strange I never saw it before when I was working on her face the other times:
(looking at the photo I see it looks like the rad aint sitting straight compared to the fenders but it is)
P1020875.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Mike Van Veghten
Studebaker Racing Team Member

Post by Mike Van Veghten »

Measure off of the firewall to verify the location of the fender/radiator brackets. The firewall will be straight, unless the car's been a whale of a crash, so using a straight line check to the fender brackets will tell you if they are straight, and or off by how much.

The radiator mounted at an angle is no problem. As you know, many cars have tilted radiators.

Mike
Champion V8
Over 400 Posts!

Post by Champion V8 »

I mean that it's angled sideways. The fenders are straight & the firewall don't show any signs & nothing else doses & the frame looks straight, but the parts of the fenders I cut off when I started to customize + the bumper was bent & one chrome outer corner was cracked.
No big thing, it's her history, I just noticed it a while ago.
Champion V8
Over 400 Posts!

Post by Champion V8 »

Some days ago I finaly came up with the solution to stiffen up the lock part for the hood; I welded a piece to the plate the lock sist in, the underside, so I could fit a wide piece to attatch to the fenders:
P1020879.JPG
(I also cut out pieces & welded in new at the part on the fenders where the lock plate fits; those pieces are painted black, click on the pic to see better!)

Today I cut the grille opening sides & bended in the lower parts & fastend it all:
P1020883.JPG
So now it's "only" left to fix the edges, make a piece to fill out under the hood's nose & paint...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Mike Van Veghten

Looken good...

Mike
Champion V8
Over 400 Posts!

Post by Champion V8 »

Thanx Mike! (never seen the work looken before, but I'm swedish so that might explain that..?)
I sprayed some red on the black & white at the top part of the new piece later, didn't take any pic thou. Feel good to at last have come this far, it's been a lot of time passing doing other stuff. & that new "up-side-down piece" sure stiffend it up!
Mike Van Veghten

Looken...slightly short, or (American) slang, for "looking" !

Mike
Jessie J.
100 - 199 Posts

Post by Jessie J. »

Slang is like a well-worn comfortable old shoe to those familiar with it. Some areas of this country are heavily laden with such verbal shortcuts. When I moved to Kentucy I practically had to learn a new language.
My Kentucy cousin the first day I met him said; "Gew'in down Slade!" translated it was an invitation to accompany him on an excursion to the community of Slade Kentucky.

Another thing drastically affecting the speech patterns of some rural Kentucky men, is the habit of speaking with a large wad of tobacco 'chaw' stuffed inside their cheek. At the lumberyard I had to return to the desk for help, as the speech of their yard-man was utterly unintelligible.
Champion V8
Over 400 Posts!

Post by Champion V8 »

I just thought about it & realized I've heard it before but never seen it written! As for slang; I'm a HUGE fan of it, knowing people from work & as neighbours from every english speaking country has made me knowing quite a lot & the way I write here aint the way I write among people I know more personly. & me writing swedish is even worse; I mostly (try to) write the way people speak. That pisses some off even after I've explained that they actually talk like that.

Anyway; welded a top piece on the mid bit of the lower/new front piece to meet the hood + a bit going inwards to bolt to the piece the lock sits in, haven't yet drilled the holes for bolting it, but here it is:
P1020885.JPG
& here's how it looks now:
P1020884.JPG
Jessie J.
100 - 199 Posts

Post by Jessie J. »

Look like we now have a revived Studebaker Body Engineering Dept. :D Good work man!
Champion V8
Over 400 Posts!

Post by Champion V8 »

Thanx a lot! It's quite nervous at times when one is starting somethging that's not really clear how it's gonna turn out, a car has many angles & curves & even if they can look straight they very seldom are. Anywhere & from any angle you look... This reminds me of when I shortend my Citroen DS; the only straight line front-to-back is the sills; big boxes, but the body is built like a fish.
002.JPG
007.JPG
Mike Van Veghten

Yes sir NOX, looks very good.

Soo, what ended up happening to your Citroen ? Did you finish it, did you drive it ?

And yeah, body panels and their curves.
WAY back, I had a 1956 Chevy. Over time, I kept putting larger and larger tires on the car. Eventually, I had to pull, or otherwise move the fenders away from the tires, all four tires ! A lowered 56, with three times too large a tire, as mounted to 8" wide Corvette wheels looked good...to me anyway.
Anyway, 13 years later when I decided to sell the car, I had a guy looking at it (ended up buying it), he was looking down the side of the car to see how straight it was. He MUSTA not realized that the 1955 to 57 Chevy is very straight, or slab sided, when looking from one end to the other.
MY...car, bulged heavily at the rear tires AND the front tires ! I guess he didn't know what he was looking for !

Mike
Champion V8
Over 400 Posts!

Post by Champion V8 »

The picture of the DS on the street is from when I drove it, after a while I sold it to a guy in Paris, France. I think that was in 2003, two years ago he sold it to a well known DS rallye driver in Holland who's changing it into a copy of the real racing cars from Citroen, here are a pic from his build:
026 H.jpg
To compare with my styling:
(I welded the rear fenders & rear doors together & that was quite a challange since the body slopes & gets lower at the rear)
015 Harry.jpg
If you google "DS rallye coupe' " there's some info how they raced them in the 60's & even used them as prototypes for the SM.