Josephine, a "Moparistic" -55 sedan

This forum is devoted to all topics concerning high performance, Non-Studebaker powered Studebakers.
Champion V8
Over 400 Posts!

Re: Josephine, a "Moparistic" -55 sedan

Post by Champion V8 »

Yes I have to get into it, I posted a question about it on the S.D.C. forum too...
Champion V8
Over 400 Posts!

Post by Champion V8 »

Among stuff that needs to be done on the coupe are the ventilation windows in the doors & that's where I'm at now. The screw under the rubber is a difficult one so I'll try a bit day-by-day...
Here are the old & "new" windows:
(chrome coulda been better)
P1030225.JPG
P1030226.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
shifter44
Over 400 Posts!

Post by shifter44 »

Do everything that you can , to not damage the rubber seal in the frames .
Replacements are expensive , and they are very difficult to install . I could not get my new one to seat in the bracket. Obviously some people have been able to make them work , but I could not . So , I attempted to trim mine , but that failed also .

Please read this Thread on SDC that I started . Please be sure to scroll on down to the last one where I made my last statement .

https://forum.studebakerdriversclub.com ... -pass-side
If you can't get there in a STUDEBAKER,
it ain't worth goin' .

Bill H .
Champion V8
Over 400 Posts!

Post by Champion V8 »

Ok Bill thanx! I read the thread & wrote a reply; that my trick to make hard / over sized rubber to fit is to lay it in warm, almost hot, water.
The rubber on the "new" vents are harder than the "old" ones but I aint gonna try to swap them now.
Champion V8
Over 400 Posts!

Post by Champion V8 »

I mounted the vent windows today but gave up on the lower screws, I'll do that when the weather is hot or if I feel like wrestling some day before summer...
P1030227.JPG
& I made a bracket out of two washers for ignition switch & start button & mounted it on the steering column. The car don't have any keys.
P1030229.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Mike Van Veghten
Studebaker Racing Team Member

Post by Mike Van Veghten »

Sounds like my old race car...it didn't have any key either !

Crap, I forgot how to post pictures, or I'd post a picture of my old Anglia.

Mike
Champion V8
Over 400 Posts!

Post by Champion V8 »

YES! we got snow again!!! I hope it stays until I have to drive soon...
Non sharp picture due to been taken from inside a dirty window that refused to open.
3jan2023.JPG
r1lark
200 - 399 Posts

Post by r1lark »

Josephine looks ready to go ride in the snow! We are still waiting for our first snow of the winter........we are due for a good one (I hope).
Paul
Visit The Studebaker Skytop Registry at: http://www.studebakerskytop.com
Mike Van Veghten
Studebaker Racing Team Member

Post by Mike Van Veghten »

Good ol SoCal, Supposed to be about 70° today. The drop all the way to 64° to 70° daytime temperatures for the rest of this week.

We have actually had snow and hail in Los Angeles, but it's been a few years back.
Driving home from work one day, and it started to rain lightly. A bunch of girls in an open top convertible Mustang went by me as I transitioned onto the freeway. Another two or three miles up the freeway, it was covered in snow. Probably 3 or 4 inches. It was coming down moderately, just enough to keep the road white. I was driving in the path that the car tires made.

Ha...I had all of my gear on so I was protected, I passed the girls in the Mustang on the side of the road, trying to put the top up !

Mike
Champion V8
Over 400 Posts!

Post by Champion V8 »

I've seen so many many on the side of the road & on the wrong side too, facing wrong direction on the highways here in Sweden & on Autobahn in Germany & it's always Beemers & DKW/Audi + some 4x4 who think they're untouchable... & I'm usualy in some 50's, 60's or in Sonja's Subaru going steady...

Once it snowed A LOT in Holland & everybody was going s l o w & we had a 1960 Volvo Amazon with summer tires, we just passed the others in the fast lane; a relativly small well ballanced car with high narrow tires on 15" rims makes al the difference! (+ experiance of driving fast in snow ofcourse) A friend once said front wheel drive is the best in snow & I replied that if it's a Citroen or SAAB from the 60's I agree but maby we should race, you in your VW Golf & me in my Amazon?
I say well ballanced cars in important.

& yes; the snow was here all day, both on my way to work & going back. I flushed off a lot of iced snow under Josephine when I came home, an easy trick I've learned from being born in more snowy winters with loads of salt.
Most boring car I've had as a winter beater was a -65 Buick in 1979-80:
(Wildcat engine & suregrip rear axel made it good for burnouts until the axel broke, here it sits with a driveshaft off just by the brake drum)
CHY 219.JPG
Champion V8
Over 400 Posts!

Post by Champion V8 »

Josephine is just doing her job now as a daily driver & when I have time I work on Nils's Starlight as much as possible, thou that aint much time at all, cuz I need the place for the Chrysler later on when the weather gets warmer.
Now I'm waiting for Nils to order rubbers for windscreen & rear window + all brake cylinders. He aint got a clue about how to do it yet, paypal is not a good option for swedes at the moment but he has a friend who has a company that imports old US cars so he's trying to figure out how to manage to get the parts in a container together with some cars. & the cold weathger stays it seems, unusual for the part of Sweden.