Big Block Mopar in CK ?

This forum is devoted to all topics concerning high performance, Non-Studebaker powered Studebakers.
1954Stude
0 - 19 Posts

Big Block Mopar in CK ?

Post by 1954Stude »

I'm wondering if anyone here has attempted this and what problems you may have encountered? I have a 440 and 727 that I'd love to install. But if its a nightmare maybe I should stick with a Stude. I'm getting older it will probably be my last and only car. Its my dream car. light car lots of torque. My main concern is clearance of exh manifolds. Any comments appreciated. I understand rearend, brakes, cooling system will need attention.
Alan
Studebaker Racing Team Member

Re: Big Block Mopar in CK ?

Post by Alan »

Here is one here. The only big problems are at the front. I have a pic.

PackardV8

Post by PackardV8 »

Maybe no one ever had more engines in one '53K than Alan.

Hard to believe Studebaker made the longer Packard V8 fit in there (and that's really what belongs in one ;>) and the RB Mopar won't fit; it's only .100" taller deck than the Packard V8.

Since the RB is internally balanced, would a smaller diameter front damper be enough to allow it to clear?

jack vines
Sonny
Site Admin

Post by Sonny »

PackardV8 wrote:Maybe no one ever had more engines in one '53K than Alan.

jack vines
Ain't THAT the truth! AJ is one motor-swappin' monster! YOU GO AJ!!! 8) 8) 8)
Sonny
Alan

Post by Alan »

Jack, The problem with the BB Mopar is not the damper, it is the block. The block has skirts that go past the center line of the crank. That 413 there is sitting on the front cross member with no bell crank. After I made the front motor mounts, built a special pan, used a Moroso swinging oil pump pickup and external oil lines from the pick up to the pump, there were no problems. Exhaust cleared the stock Stude box. The damper hangs out past the front cross member. If you are going to run a 4 BBL I would advise a 383. At the time I took that pic., sometime in 68, was between Stude engines. I had blown up a 232 and was putting my first big bore, short stroke 232 in it.
Alan

Post by Alan »

Here is the support for the conversion.

Image[/URL]
Champion V8
Over 400 Posts!

Post by Champion V8 »

Just came to think of a car in this maner; there was this -55 that 2 guys had & they went to a scrapyard & bought a -56 New Yorker that they used for 2 years & then they put the Hemi & Torqflite in the Studebaker & raced it in 1968:
StudeMopar Andrestorp 1968.jpg
This picture aint from the track, it's a test-drive on a normal road:
StudeAtrp68.jpg
As I remember they won their class! So ofcourse a BB MoPar fits...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Mike Van Veghten

Post by Mike Van Veghten »

There is an article of a 392 (iron block !) Hemi in a 60 Lark. The story says he drove the Lark home, pulled the stock engine, and proceeded to instal the 392. A little rough, but overall, not a bad job for the time. It does have the same basic frame as the 53 to 55 cars. Just a little shorter from the firewall to the core support.
Is that big block enough ?

Mike
PackardV8

Post by PackardV8 »

Mike Van Veghten wrote: 19 Nov 2019, 12:09 There is an article of a 392 (iron block !) Hemi in a 60 Lark. The story says he drove the Lark home, pulled the stock engine, and proceeded to instal the 392. A little rough, but overall, not a bad job for the time. It does have the same basic frame as the 53 to 55 cars. Just a little shorter from the firewall to the core support.
Is that big block enough ?Mike
dYes, Mike, I remember that very old HRM photo feature. One of the more impressive sights was the eight-carb-intake manifold with Stromberg 97s on top. Imagine trying to tune those old leakers to drive on the street.

jack vines
Mike Van Veghten

Post by Mike Van Veghten »

Yep, that's the one.
That was back in the day when the owner MADE all of the carburetors work too. Not like today where they block off all but one or two to keep the tuning simple.

Mike
Alan

Post by Alan »

There is much more room in the Lark, top to bottom. I put a SBC in a Lark and put a Turbo with an Accell priority valve and a carb on top of that and it all fit under the hood.
Alan

Post by Alan »

I am going to try a pic. here. I have been going around and around with Crap bucket.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Champion V8
Over 400 Posts!

Post by Champion V8 »

If only Studebaker & Chrysler had connected...
(old Nox wish)
Found this pic on internet the other day:
Hemi Studebaker.jpg