SBC To Stude - V8 Intake Adapter Plates Project

THE place to document, in chronological order, ON-GOING progress/milestones of ANY high performance Studebaker project. Projects include any major/lengthy - repair/modification/resto/total rebuild OR an extensive build/development/modification of a high performance Studebaker part/system. Including as much info/many photos about/of your project is greatly appreciated! ON-GOING PROJECTS ONLY PLEASE.
PackardV8
Studebaker Racing Team Member

Re: SBC To Stude - V8 Intake Adapter Plates Project

Post by PackardV8 »

Well, I thought of you guys today. I'd stopped in to the local scrap yard looking for some 3/8" round rod stock for a yard project. I found a couple of lengths and then glanced in the aluminum bin. Right on top was a NOS SBC Weiand 6-71 blower intake manifold; literally shiny new. I wouldn't be using it, but thought probably some one here would want to put it on these adapter plates.

The intake weighed 16#, so I figured the scrap yard charges $1 a pound to buy clean aluminum. Then came, "We can't sell any automotive parts; we don't have a wrecking yard license." So, once it's in there, it's gone. What's even more weird, the GoodGuys is in town tomorrow and that intake would probably sell for at least $100 at the swap meet. Who'd scrap it for a $10 bill?

jack vines
Jeff Rice
Global Moderator

Post by Jeff Rice »

I'll buy it (and a pair of Jon's adapters)...
Set your price with shipping...
Jeff

PackardV8 wrote:Well, I thought of you guys today. I'd stopped in to the local scrap yard looking for some 3/8" round rod stock for a yard project. I found a couple of lengths and then glanced in the aluminum bin. Right on top was a NOS SBC Weiand 6-71 blower intake manifold; literally shiny new. I wouldn't be using it, but thought probably some one here would want to put it on these adapter plates.

The intake weighed 16#, so I figured the scrap yard charges $1 a pound to buy clean aluminum. Then came, "We can't sell any automotive parts; we don't have a wrecking yard license." So, once it's in there, it's gone. What's even more weird, the GoodGuys is in town tomorrow and that intake would probably sell for at least $100 at the swap meet. Who'd scrap it for a $10 bill?

jack vines
PackardV8

Post by PackardV8 »

[quote="Jeff Rice"]I'll buy it (and a pair of Jon's adapters)...
Jeff

Hi, Jeff,

As I said, I tried with some persistence to buy it but the scrap yard said they're prohibited from selling anything automotive because they'd have to pay for a wrecking yard license.

jack vines
stewed
200 - 399 Posts

Post by stewed »

Meth head ripped it off and scrapped it.
3x2stude

Post by 3x2stude »

That is sad. :(

JK
Jeff Rice
Global Moderator

Post by Jeff Rice »

So tell them you are going to melt it down for the particular grade of aluminum it is made out of.
Whack it with a hammer to show you are serious.

PackardV8 wrote:
Jeff Rice wrote:I'll buy it (and a pair of Jon's adapters)...
Jeff

Hi, Jeff,

As I said, I tried with some persistence to buy it but the scrap yard said they're prohibited from selling anything automotive because they'd have to pay for a wrecking yard license.

jack vines
Jeff Rice
Global Moderator

Post by Jeff Rice »

Well... Prices are all over the place for them on Ebay.. Deals can be had...

http://www.ebay.com/bhp/blower-manifold

PackardV8 wrote: Hi, Jeff,
jack vines
SilverHawkDan

Post by SilverHawkDan »

Jeff Rice wrote:So tell them you are going to melt it down for the particular grade of aluminum it is made out of.
Whack it with a hammer to show you are serious.

PackardV8 wrote:
Jeff Rice wrote:I'll buy it (and a pair of Jon's adapters)...
Jeff

Hi, Jeff,

jack vines
Just be sure to whack it in the water jacket area which we cut off for our Stude's.
Grew up Studebaker. Drag raced successfully in Southern California. Flew down the salt in the Burke Avanti in 2010 at 159 mph as the Bucket List Dream Avanti. Now part of the Dutch Treat Racing Team, Super Lark driver/team member.
Mike Van Veghten

Post by Mike Van Veghten »

This is all funny.
Not to hijack this thread...but...

Many years ago, I bought a powerglide trans. out of a junk yard in a similar manor.
I just needed the main case for a project without the tailshaft or housing. This particular trans. had a manufacturers rebuild sticker on it, was as clean as a new one. Not that I was exactly trying to cheat the yard out of a few bucks, but their "complete" trans. prices were outrageous. So...I took a cylinder head that was nearby, I picked it up, it slipped out of my hand and fell onto the tailshaft housing...putting a small hole and crack in it. All in all, I got it for a "reasonable" price..!

Mike
3x2stude

Post by 3x2stude »

Enough hacking the thread already! :) I picked up a box of goodies an hour ago. I QC'd a couple and they are as sweet as the prototype. The inserts arrived from McMaster Carr today too, (just in time manufacturing). I will get the inserts in over the holiday and ship sometime next week. I will email everyone when shipped.

Now all that said if there is anyone out there that wants some there are two more sets not spoken for, (I am keeping one of the remaining three). Still the same CASO price of $300.00 + $25.00 shipping. Once they are gone, they're gone. I would do another run but not at that price and only if "ALL" ten sets are sold up front. I would need to sell them at the $350.00 plus shipping to make it worth my while.

The good thing is that the product is electronically documented and saved so that it will not disappear.

Later, I got oil pans to build.

JK
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
SilverHawkDan

Post by SilverHawkDan »

I love it. Our Kinsler injection system will arrive late next week. Then I will have one of my buddies do the mods and we will mount it on my engine and take pictures. Feels almost like Christmas.
Dan
Grew up Studebaker. Drag raced successfully in Southern California. Flew down the salt in the Burke Avanti in 2010 at 159 mph as the Bucket List Dream Avanti. Now part of the Dutch Treat Racing Team, Super Lark driver/team member.
stewed
200 - 399 Posts

Post by stewed »

VERY reasonable price.
3x2stude

Post by 3x2stude »

Stewed,

Do you want a set?

JK
Mike Van Veghten

Post by Mike Van Veghten »

Hmm, wonder how difficult adapting the AirFow Research's plastic manifold might be.

How's that for different...a plastic, Chevy manifold on a Stude engine. Light weight, hardly no heat transfer, single and dual plane (though made for larger engines!).

Mike
stewed
200 - 399 Posts

Post by stewed »

3x2stude wrote:Stewed,

Do you want a set?

JK
No,just commenting.Thanks.