SBC To Stude - V8 Intake Adapter Plates Project

THE place to document, in chronological order, ON-GOING progress/milestones of ANY high performance Studebaker project. Projects include any major/lengthy - repair/modification/resto/total rebuild OR an extensive build/development/modification of a high performance Studebaker part/system. Including as much info/many photos about/of your project is greatly appreciated! ON-GOING PROJECTS ONLY PLEASE.
Alan
Studebaker Racing Team Member

Re: SBC To Stude - V8 Intake Adapter Plates Project

Post by Alan »

The PM's are giving me a bunch of crap, so I am asking. Do you have any adapters left for sale?
Alan
3x2stude

Post by 3x2stude »

yes, one set left. I will try to PM you.

JK
3x2stude

Post by 3x2stude »

I sold the last two sets over the weekend to Alan and Jeff. I still have the prototype and #10 set but I want to install one and have one on the shelf. I finished assembling the first seven sets tonight and started packaging. It will take an evening or two to do the paperwork and ship. I did a fairly detailed installation write up that will be included. I will work on nothing else until they ship. I will send tracking information to everyone once the ship.

JK
3x2stude

Post by 3x2stude »

Mike,

I have looked at the plastic fantastic Air Research manifold and even emailed them once to get their take on what the strength of the manifold would be if cut but I have gotten no feedback from them. I guess it would be worth a call to get some communication started. I watch some racing parts sites to see if one would show up on the cheap.

JK
Mike Van Veghten

Post by Mike Van Veghten »

Hey Jon -

I doubt that they'll answer back with anything for this application.

At a show many years back, in their booth, I called them out on the way they did their CNC machining. And yes...it started out very politely. We (many) know that most ports require that the cutting tool has entrance from both ends of the port for complete machining, that's pretty much a given. And the fact that a ridge of some measurable amount will most likely ensue, causing a "step" or ridge of sorts, understandable.
BUT...being that the given flow in each port only goes in one direction, WHY...oh WHY would they not change the port mapping as soon as they realized that the "step" in both the intake port AND the exhaust ports was on the wrong side of the flow.
That is...the intake port had the step machined in so that the flow had to go into a wall of sorts on two sides of the port, restricting the flow, rather than a step "away" and having the flow unimpeded as it moved toward the valve. They had the same deal on the exhaust side...backward...

They got really pissed and made excuses on why they were that way. When I told them that while I didn't have a tone of CNC / machining background, but that I had designed and even know how to use Master Cam and other programs and fully understand that most anything can be done by someone that knows what they are doing, CAN...fix the various situations that come up.

Anyway...all that was to say, they don't seem to care for "outsiders" out of the box thinking.
Hell, the AFR heads on the engine for my Lark wagon, I had to send back because of barrel shaped valve guide dimensions. I guess they figure most won't take their heads apart to verify things before running them..! I made sure I received new heads, not reworked heads !

The plastic manifold still looks interesting..!

Mike
Jeff Rice
Global Moderator

Post by Jeff Rice »

Most of the time the trade shows are staffed with sales weasels, and not tech guys or engineers.
A lot of tech guys and engineers shouldn't bee seen in public. :wink:
SilverHawkDan

Post by SilverHawkDan »

Jon,

PM sent. Check it out please.
Dan
Grew up Studebaker. Drag raced successfully in Southern California. Flew down the salt in the Burke Avanti in 2010 at 159 mph as the Bucket List Dream Avanti. Now part of the Dutch Treat Racing Team, Super Lark driver/team member.
3x2stude

Post by 3x2stude »

Jeff,

I am an engineer and I think you are right. :) Are you OK? Did you survive the storm?

JK
3x2stude

Post by 3x2stude »

To the first seven to order the adapters the first one will be taken to the post office tomorrow. I am sending one to a nearby address first. If the P.O. is OK with the way their boxed more will go out Thursday. I will send the wests coasters first and the east coasters second. I only have just so much time on my lunch hour to tote 10 lb. boxes to the P.O. and stand in line.

Alan E.,

I will order inserts for yours, set #8, tonight yet so they will follow shortly.

Dan S.,

Jeff Rice offered to buy the last, set #9, but he said it would sit on the shelf for now and would willingly let someone else that wants it to use could have it. So the first one to PM me saying they want it can buy it.

JK
3x2stude

Post by 3x2stude »

All available sets are sold, one left to ship once I get home, (in Greenville, SC right now). Of the eight different folks that bought them can you all take time to forecast you expectations on a time line for installation even if it is, "they're on the shelf for use at an undetermined time period". I would rather hear, "this Saturday", but it is what it is. Please add feedback good or bad and post photos here or email them to me to post. I will get back to the oil pan caper as soon as I get home.

Later,

JK
Jeff Rice
Global Moderator

Post by Jeff Rice »

Great news, Jon!
Alan

Post by Alan »

Just got mine in the mail a couple of hours ago and haven't opened the package yet. Will probably take a month or so to figure out which manifold to put on it and prepair it.
55commander
200 - 399 Posts

Post by 55commander »

Got mine last week along with a detailed instruction sheet, and very well packaged.

Had to bolt them to my Jeff Rice Heads and throw on the closest SBC manifold I had, which I will not be running on this motor(I will be running the Webers on my ISO Rivolta eventually). Everything lined up great, the holes and counterbore are good, threaded inserts are good, I do not forsee any problems running these adapters.

I plan to use these on a Long Term 27 T roadster LSR inspired project (Think Eddie Dye Roadster meets Chester Osgood roadster), probably EFI.

Tyler
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
SilverHawkDan

Post by SilverHawkDan »

Got a package in the mail yesterday and I got it in my hands this morning. Opened them up and took a photo. They look great. I am thinking of not waiting for the race engine to be completed to check them out. I will talk with the guys Image

and maybe find a way to evaluate them with the Hawk. I will keep you posted.
Dan
Grew up Studebaker. Drag raced successfully in Southern California. Flew down the salt in the Burke Avanti in 2010 at 159 mph as the Bucket List Dream Avanti. Now part of the Dutch Treat Racing Team, Super Lark driver/team member.
Jeff Rice
Global Moderator

Post by Jeff Rice »

What is so cool about this is that it is not a new idea....
They were offered for sale in the 1970's in Turning Wheels.
But....
Jon took it onto himself to bring the idea into the new millenium.
And he did not do it on the cheap.
He did it right... CAD and CNC...
And even then, he added value by putting stainless steel inserts in them.
Think about that.....
60% of these will sit on a shelf.
98% of these will be installed...once.
Jon made them capable of multiple installations!
Kudos.....
That is value added to the extreme!
Jeff 8)