SBC To Stude - V8 Intake Adapter Plates Project

THE place to document, in chronological order, ON-GOING progress/milestones of ANY high performance Studebaker project. Projects include any major/lengthy - repair/modification/resto/total rebuild OR an extensive build/development/modification of a high performance Studebaker part/system. Including as much info/many photos about/of your project is greatly appreciated! ON-GOING PROJECTS ONLY PLEASE.
SilverHawkDan
Studebaker Racing Team Member

Re: SBC To Stude - V8 Intake Adapter Plates Project

Post by SilverHawkDan »

Jeff,
I can assure you I am working on a plan to be the first to have a set on a running engine. Maybe as soon as the end of next week. The second set I bought will see permanent duty on my Hawk which I plan to be driving as my Christmas present to me. I am going Full Tilt Boogie, Add Nitro When Needed. These were not meant to sit on a shelf and mine will not see much shelf time.
Dan
Grew up Studebaker. Drag raced successfully in Southern California. Flew down the salt in the Burke Avanti in 2010 at 159 mph as the Bucket List Dream Avanti. Now part of the Dutch Treat Racing Team, Super Lark driver/team member.
3x2stude

Post by 3x2stude »

Jeff,

A long time ago my older brother, (aerospace engineer / rocket scientist / college professor), taught me, "If its big and strong you cant go wrong unless it has to fly!" I tend to over build but very rarely need to rebuild because it broke. I sometimes need to do it over 'cause I built it backwards. Did no one notice on my oil pan project the the first few posts for the formed pan are backwards? I was livid when I noticed it but had to laugh at myself too.

But back to the adapters, I have the 3D files and some 2D dimensioned drawings. I will make sure they do not get lost. Once a few folks get them fired up and we get some feedback some interest for more may develop. I could not do another run for the same price. There was no profit added. I did it so that they would be out there for experimentation. If I never do another run due to lack of interest I will make sure the info gets passed on and maybe archived in the Studebaker Museum records. :).

JK
Jeff Rice
Global Moderator

Post by Jeff Rice »

You should create a logo and mill it into the end of the plates....
Cheesy? Sure enough!
Even dogs mark their territory, you know... :lol:

3x2stude wrote:<snip>
. If I never do another run due to lack of interest I will make sure the info gets passed on and maybe archived in the Studebaker Museum records. :).
JK
SilverHawkDan

Post by SilverHawkDan »

Jon,

Just so you know I posted pictures of the plates and the Kinsler injection online last night. I got a couple of guys who knew nothing about them and wanted to know if I was selling them. I directed them to your posts here on the forum and told them to follow up with you as you were looking for commitments to see if another run could be made. So it would surprise me if you get some inquiries soon. This was on Facebook and in two places, my site and the Studebaker Addicts International site. Hope this helps because if all goes good I could be looking for more plates for the future. Real world testing and results will make the difference.
Dan
Grew up Studebaker. Drag raced successfully in Southern California. Flew down the salt in the Burke Avanti in 2010 at 159 mph as the Bucket List Dream Avanti. Now part of the Dutch Treat Racing Team, Super Lark driver/team member.
3x2stude

Post by 3x2stude »

Dan,

Thanks for getting me some more exposure. We'll see what comes of it.

JK
3x2stude

Post by 3x2stude »

Jeff,

I do plan on some logo if another run is done but on the first run being on a shoestring I did not want to add any cost. I also thought about doing something "Stuebakeresque" on the big flat facing out. I attached an idea. Still working on a logo.

JK
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Jeff Rice
Global Moderator

Post by Jeff Rice »

3x2stude wrote:Jeff,
I do plan on some logo if another run is done but on the first run being on a shoestring I did not want to add any cost. I also thought about doing something "Stuebakeresque" on the big flat facing out. I attached an idea. Still working on a logo.
JK
Hmmmm......
I vote for "CASODAPTER"
3x2stude

Post by 3x2stude »

Hard to raise the price with "CASO" on it. Lets change the subject.

JK
SilverHawkDan

Post by SilverHawkDan »

Hey Jon feast your eyes on this.
As far as I know this is the first time a Kinsler fuel injection system has been bolted on a Studebaker engine. Tom our Project Manager is an expert on these set ups and has a Red Hat to prove it. I am so pleased with the plates you made for us. I can't wait for the other set to show up so we can bolt the manifold on the Power Hawk for some real world testing.
starliner62
20 - 59 Posts

Post by starliner62 »

20171001_114950.jpg
Jon, I mocked up my intake and adapter on the 289 i plan on using in my lark while I build my big engine.
Your adapters bolted on and fit perfectly. I couldn't be happier. Thank you for your hard word on this project.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
3x2stude

Post by 3x2stude »

Glad you're happy. Post some more as you get more done and for sure do a YouTube once its fired up.

JK
3x2stude

Post by 3x2stude »

Starliner62,

I noticed you took my advice on the small notches at the four corner to allow you to remove the manifold with the adapters for port matching. Were the instructions I included helpful or did you just get that from following the thread? Just curious.

JK
3x2stude

Post by 3x2stude »

I just bought the GM marine intake. I has a very low profile and is unique in the fact that several features are reversed front to rear. That fact would be bad if we were trying to mount it on a Camaro but all the backwards stuff gets cut off remember. So this will be an interesting opportunity. The other manifold is a '56 - '61 Corvette dual aluminum dual quad. It is on EBay for the cheap because the water passages are toast. Remember the corroded parts get cut off. This intake has small runners so it would work well with a small Stude motor.

JK
Flat Ernie
20 - 59 Posts

Post by Flat Ernie »

Any guesses on a timeline for another run?
Daddy always said, "If yer gonna be dumb, you gotta be tough" and I'm one tough sumbitch!
3x2stude

Post by 3x2stude »

Flat E.

If ten folks want to pony up, (and send funds), I can order them tomorrow at $400.00 a set including shipping. If I order one set it is $740.00 cost, which I sucked up once. I cannot order ten or more sets on speculation. Give me a call tomorrow if you want to talk. 920 723 3232.

JK