Engine build

This forum is devoted to all topics concerning high performance, Studebaker powered vehicles.
Sonny
Site Admin

Re: Engine build

Post by Sonny »

Yeah, what happened to this engine build?
Sonny
64Avanti
Studebaker Racing Team Member

Post by 64Avanti »

Looks like we are heading for a black Avanti overpopulation. However it does look good!
David Livesay
bezhawk
100 - 199 Posts

Post by bezhawk »

109973792_1157685491258570_6059427308527599512_o.jpg
Not much has happened. I sourced some stainless roller rockers that I will need to modify for the Stude shaft, or possibly make an adapter to mount its shaft. Not at that point yet. Things have slowed way down after my heart attack.
We are working on getting some more H-Beam forged rods made. Will evaluate the quality, and if up to par will be offering them at substantial savings over anything that has been offered before. Stock length, and offset.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
bezhawk
100 - 199 Posts

Post by bezhawk »

Oh, I'm looking for some gapless 2nd ring piston rings with ductile molly top ring. Been quoted over 600. That's way too much. .080 rings, and .1880 oil ring. (.060 over bore)
Mike Van Veghten

Post by Mike Van Veghten »

Not afraid to name brand names here -

I've got Crower "H" beam, billet rods for my Stude engine. As I recall, they are actually a tiny bit lighter than Stude rods. According to Crower, they should be good to 750hp.

I also bought Total Seal gapless second ring, rings, although I don't recall spending that much money. Yes, they are more money than most, which is to be expected. I'd guess machining the ring step isn't a simple job, which includes having to be VERY accurate about it.
There's no doubt, that they not only work, but do a VERY good job of sealing the cylinders.
Remember too, the cylinder finish is very important, as is the break-in preparation.

Remember...Horse Power ISN'T cheap..!

Back when I had my Pro Gas Anglia, powered by a small Chevy, the engine always...made the best power when I closed up the ring end gaps to near disasters tightness. Then when Total Seal came to be, I've run nothing...but...Total Seal.

I bought a set of Childs and Albert gapless rings for a big Chevy once, but sold the engine before I got it completed. I don't think that they make them any longer, this was a while back.

Mike
64Avanti

Post by 64Avanti »

Brad, when did you have a heart attack? Hope you are getting better.
David Livesay
Sonny
Site Admin

Post by Sonny »

For SURE! Hope you're feeling better Brad!
Sonny