Oil pan clearence

This forum is devoted to all topics concerning high performance, Non-Studebaker powered Studebakers.
Tobymilo
0 - 19 Posts

Oil pan clearence

Post by Tobymilo »

Anyone know an aftermarket oil pan for a 383 stroker that will fit for a 65 Daytona?
BobS
20 - 59 Posts

Re: Oil pan clearence

Post by BobS »

Most any generic SBC pan should fit. More important is the fan pulley diameter to clear the top of the bellcrank.. Mine is around 7 1/2- 7 3/4 diameter. Just find a fan pulley that fits and size the other pulleys to drive the accessories at normal rpm.
This is the 383 in my 74 Avanti - essentially the same as your Lark/Daytona frame IIRC.

Tobymilo
0 - 19 Posts

Post by Tobymilo »

Thank you
Tobymilo
0 - 19 Posts

Post by Tobymilo »

Thank you
Mike Van Veghten
Studebaker Racing Team Member

Post by Mike Van Veghten »

BobS wrote: 13 Jun 2021, 12:45 Most any generic SBC pan should fit. More important is the fan pulley diameter to clear the top of the bellcrank.. Mine is around 7 1/2- 7 3/4 diameter. Just find a fan pulley that fits and size the other pulleys to drive the accessories at normal rpm.
This is the 383 in my 74 Avanti - essentially the same as your Lark/Daytona frame IIRC.

NOT...true. At least on the short nosed Larks.
The basic "generic" pan with it's more square corners will nOT fit with "stock brackets and mounts.
Been there, done that. You MAY be able to mix and match and match parts to get the engine with a "generic" pan to fit, but not using Studebaker part numbered parts.
The required pan NEEDS to be very shallow in front to clear the steering.
I put a bare block with an easy to get oil pan into my car with off the shelf...Studebaker parts. With one mount bolt in place, the engine sat at about a 10° angle..!

Because the engine I built was purpose built, and I didn't want to use a short oil pan, the car sat for a coupla months, then...with some urging from a friend, I cut the frame off under the firewall, and made up my own front clip to use C4 Corvette parts.

Sorry, I don't seem to know how to post pictures.

MIke
Champion V8
Over 400 Posts!

Post by Champion V8 »

Maby the Lars have the same "problem" as the 53-55 sedans; the engine hangs over & the pan is on top of the bellcrank?