Exhaust question

This forum is devoted to all topics concerning high performance, Non-Studebaker powered Studebakers.
Tobymilo
0 - 19 Posts

Exhaust question

Post by Tobymilo »

Need some help guys. I am changing the engine in my 65 Daytona, it currently has the original 283 with 1 1/2 pipes.

The 383 I'm putting in will require 2 1/2 pipes. The existing bend to the driver side collector on the manifold makes a couple of sharp bends to clear the steering. I need some guidance as to how to route the pipes, it looks impossible.

Thanks
Champion V8
Over 400 Posts!

Re: Exhaust question

Post by Champion V8 »

Is it a MoPar 383? If so I doubt many here knows (thou I hope I'm wrong!) but there was "Silver Hawk Dan" (R.I.P.) who had quite a lot experiance with MoParized Studebakers, if you search what he posted you might find something.
I only has a 318 in my -55 sedan but I filed new splines on thesteering arm & steering gear where there was noe, moved the arm two splines & shortend the rod. (I think it's described in "Josephine - a MoParised -55 sedan" but I'm not sure)
Tobymilo
0 - 19 Posts

Post by Tobymilo »

Chevy 383. Did a search and found nothing exhaust related.
Champion V8
Over 400 Posts!

Post by Champion V8 »

Ah, well then maby try on the S.D.C. forum, good luck anyway.
Jessie J.
100 - 199 Posts

Post by Jessie J. »

Look up “ 1965-66 Stude 283 exhaust manifold question” in Studebaker Drivers Club Forum.
Thread provides far too much information for me to repost it all here. Sweetolbob and Dick Steinkamp discuss the various SBC manifolds and also provide part numbers to install Avanti Il head pipes in Lark applications.