'65 Daytona Experiment

This forum is devoted to all topics concerning high performance, Non-Studebaker powered Studebakers.
3x2stude
Studebaker Racing Team Member

Re: '65 Daytona Experiment

Post by 3x2stude »

The outer edge of the cut is very close the outer width of the frame rear of the cowl support. I always mark the lies to be cut with a spring-loaded center punch so as the marker burns back, I have a line to grind back to. It takes a little more time but makes for more precise edges in the end. All of the vertical open area will get boxed in with 11 gauge. I am being careful to layout everything as accurately as possible. I will add additional temporary bracing as needed to maintain the frame's trueness. The original crossmember will eventually be removed but the inner side of the frame rail will just be boxed over and left in place to help maintain alignment and add strength.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
3x2stude

Post by 3x2stude »

After careful measurements a posterboard template was cut starting with a drawing first. The template was clamped in place with a wood block behind to the inner frame rail. The top of the template it to be flush and level with the front frame horn. It will remain level until it is past the upper coil-over mount and then it will taper back down to the original frame profile.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
3x2stude

Post by 3x2stude »

I think these images give you a better idea of what is going on. The top template in place will eventually be 7 gauge and will support the upper coil-over mount. I slipped a piece of steel on top to support the carboard mount so you can see where it will go. The mount itself is available from AM. A drawing of the basic AM design is also attached.
Champion V8
Over 400 Posts!

Post by Champion V8 »

Easily way more interesting to see than just cutting off the whole front of the frame & welding on a clip from some other car!
Jeff Rice
Global Moderator

Post by Jeff Rice »

So clean!
r1lark
200 - 399 Posts

Post by r1lark »

Excellent pictures and descriptions! Thank you.
Paul
Visit The Studebaker Skytop Registry at: http://www.studebakerskytop.com
3x2stude

Post by 3x2stude »

After I got done carving turkey, I started carving metal. Steel has replaced the cardboard patterns and the cross member removed.
3x2stude

Post by 3x2stude »

I got the inside rail patterns made, transferred to steel and tacked in place.
3x2stude

Post by 3x2stude »

The top plates are added, 3/16", and it came out right on the money @ 31.00" OD. The next task is to add some additional temporary braces to hold everything in place. I need to take the frame out of the fixture so I can flip it upside down and replace the bottom plate from the front tip to the cowl body mount. I will up the thickness to 12 gauge. This will bridge all the joints above. Once the bottom plate is place, I will get the rails all welded solid before adding the front cross member.