My little oddity, a 185 OHV6 Intake questions

This forum is devoted to all topics concerning high performance, Studebaker powered vehicles.
Ron Dame
0 - 19 Posts

My little oddity, a 185 OHV6 Intake questions

Post by Ron Dame »

Some of you here who are on the SDC forum know of my Champ and the 185 OHV 6 that I put in it. I've been running it about 10 years with no real issues. Was it worth the time and effort? -For power, no, it's like a tired 259 at best, but better than a stock 170 OHV. The cam is a bit much, peak torque is higher than I want, but I have a stock cam to go back in and drop the torque curve back... that's another day.

While at South Bend, I picked up a split exhaust reportedly made by Digger Dave, just because it was cool and cheap, and the sound will be better. Performance? possibly, but it's mostly because I do weird nonsensical things like stick a 185 crank in an OHV6. The vendor (I forgot his name) threw in a matching stock intake. At first I said I did not need it, but he said the idea is to flip the intake over, then it's a matter of opening up the heat riser side to mount a 2 or 4 bbl carb. Well, 4 is overkill, though it would be a 'kool' factor, but a progressive Weber might add some fun, so why not? It's only a few bucks and time. My main goal is lower end torque and performance, because a 4 3/8” stroke with a 3.060” bore just is not great for revving.

Today I took a junk OHV intake and hacked around a bit, and I think it's feasible. I will need to make an adapter anyway so throttle valve clearance won't be an issue. So I a couple of questions, look at the pix. 1) I marked the flow for the center two cylinders, and it's not just straight in as I assumed. I think it sort of equalizes the intake lengths to some degree, so on the real deal, should I leave that 'wall' portion that diverts the flow a bit, or cut it out and let'r rip? Or does it really matter for my use? Then, which way would you mount a 2 BBL, with the throttles transverse or longitudinal? Or again, for my use does it make any difference?

With luck I'll get this running like a tired 289! Thanks all.
DSCN3406.JPG
DSCN3404.JPG
DSCN3403.JPG
DSCN3399.JPG
DSCN3397.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
PackardV8
Studebaker Racing Team Member

Re: My little oddity, a 185 OHV6 Intake questions

Post by PackardV8 »

Yes, Ron, Studebaker Engineering cast in that divider to prevent the center two cylinders from hogging most of the intake flow and starving the two end ports.

You'd make more top end power with it removed, but have better idle and low speed power with it in place.

BWT, I've got a half-a-QuadraJet 138 Rochester M2MC - designed for the small GM V6s. Next time I'm in that storage area, I'll take a look at how it might fit your setup. It's a much better 2-bbl carb than the old 2GC or Stromberg.

BTW - mounting the intake upside-down raises the height, no? Better confirm hood clearance before putting too much time and money in it.

jack vines.
r1lark
200 - 399 Posts

Post by r1lark »

Well Ron, you have saved me from sacrificing an OHV 6 manifold. I was going to do the same "death wheel exploration" that you have done!

I'll be watching your exploits with extreme interest.
Paul
Visit The Studebaker Skytop Registry at: http://www.studebakerskytop.com
Ron Dame
0 - 19 Posts

Post by Ron Dame »

Jack, I'll take you up on the carb offer. I'm wanting more low end power, this is a truck and I use it as such so the divider in the "good" manifold will remain. I have lots of hood clearance and doubt flipping the intake over will be a problem for me even with a stock-ish cleaner. As always, I want this to look like something Studebaker might have done.

Paul, any photos of any other angles, just send me a message of some sort.